Tibialis Anterior constant pain. HELP

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IonutUrke

Lurker
Jun 15, 2018
Hello everyone , I am new here , sorry if this was posted before.

It goes like this : I am 20 old , training in kick-boxing & mma , a bit of freestyle wrestle backround.
I am arleady 1 and a half years into kick-boxing and I am having one constant issue , which is my shin muscle (tibialis anterior) pain on the right foot.

First time it occured was while sparring and got a low-kick checked , my shin muscle hit the knee of my partner , worst pain ever .. anyway , didn't throw kicks with that leg for a while.

Leg recovered , was kicking heavy bags bare-shin , no problem at all . Sparring day after some time , this time got a middle-kick checked, again my shin muscle hit my partner's forearm.

Used ice , pain killers , creams , pain went away again after few weeks.

And again , my shin muscle ( tibialis anterior I believe it's called ) was injured after I got a low kick checked , thi time I can barely walk , few days passed and I am still in pain.

I did conditioning on heavy bags , I also train with weights since before I started with contact sports. So my body is strong enough.

As supplements I take : Whey protein , and Animal pak. Sometimes more or less , but at the moment those two.

My question is : Is there any way to stop this annoying pain, it doesn't occur on my left leg , no matter what I kick. Is my technique wrong ? Please help , I am a kicker more than a boxer so I use legs more than hands.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Hello everyone , I am new here , sorry if this was posted before.

It goes like this : I am 20 old , training in kick-boxing & mma , a bit of freestyle wrestle backround.
I am arleady 1 and a half years into kick-boxing and I am having one constant issue , which is my shin muscle (tibialis anterior) pain on the right foot.

First time it occured was while sparring and got a low-kick checked , my shin muscle hit the knee of my partner , worst pain ever .. anyway , didn't throw kicks with that leg for a while.

Leg recovered , was kicking heavy bags bare-shin , no problem at all . Sparring day after some time , this time got a middle-kick checked, again my shin muscle hit my partner's forearm.

Used ice , pain killers , creams , pain went away again after few weeks.

And again , my shin muscle ( tibialis anterior I believe it's called ) was injured after I got a low kick checked , thi time I can barely walk , few days passed and I am still in pain.

I did conditioning on heavy bags , I also train with weights since before I started with contact sports. So my body is strong enough.

As supplements I take : Whey protein , and Animal pak. Sometimes more or less , but at the moment those two.

My question is : Is there any way to stop this annoying pain, it doesn't occur on my left leg , no matter what I kick. Is my technique wrong ? Please help , I am a kicker more than a boxer so I use legs more than hands.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !
Welcome to the forum.
Any swelling noted to the leg/ankle?

IonutUrke

Lurker
Jun 15, 2018
Welcome to the forum.
Any swelling noted to the leg/ankle?
Hello , thanks for your response.
No , my leg/ankle is not swollen , now after few days of the injury , the pain occurs when I shake my leg, throw a kick on any kind of heavy bag, so basically can't throw a proper kick.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
You're probably power kicking with no regard for control.
You need to learn to pin-point your kicks. A lot of hip muscle development. Add karate kicks to your arsenal and aim for target the size of a golf ball. Only "squeeze" your muscle sas you approach the point of impact.
I'm guessing you're right handed/legged, right? Learn to kick slooooowly and 'whip' the kick to the intended target at the last second or, switch to a different target at the last second - like the "Brazilian/Question Mark Kick".

Also get some Dit Da Jow and rub on your shins. It works.

IonutUrke

Lurker
Jun 15, 2018
You're probably power kicking with no regard for control.
You need to learn to pin-point your kicks. A lot of hip muscle development. Add karate kicks to your arsenal and aim for target the size of a golf ball. Only "squeeze" your muscle sas you approach the point of impact.
I'm guessing you're right handed/legged, right? Learn to kick slooooowly and 'whip' the kick to the intended target at the last second or, switch to a different target at the last second - like the "Brazilian/Question Mark Kick".

Also get some Dit Da Jow and rub on your shins. It works.
Thanks for the response
I will try your advices!

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
2 exercises you may find useful: Reverse standing calf raise (stand with heels on block and lower/raise toes) or take some surgical tubing and tie one end to anything fixed in place(like a table leg, weight bench etc.) and make a loop with an old tube sock that you don't need. Tie it to the surgical tubing and sit down. The tubing should be a few inches off the ground. Slip your toes into the sock loop and you can do reverse calf raises. The advantage with the surgical tubing seated exercise is that you can vary the resistance by increasing the amt. of surgical tubing-- 2 bands/3 bands etc. Just to add to this, I think it's important to exercise the opposing muscles (calves) because as you know opposing muscles help each other. Standing calf raises (gastrocnemius) seated calf raises (soleus). Donkey calf raises hit both pretty well. I wouldn't worry about using weight. Body weight should be sufficient. You may want to avoid running on hard pavement and jumping rope for a bit. Walking in sand is pretty good if you can. Good Luck.