Till after Cowboy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Life after 'Cowboy' win? Darren Till has bus pass, resides in uncle's spare bedroom
By Tom Rooney January 11, 2018 1:05 pm

There is a substantial argument to be made that the consensus favorite runs greater risk of upset in MMA than any other elite sport. The margin for error is so miniscule and the intangibles are so pervasive that yesterday’s doomed underdog can graduate to tomorrow’s formidable contender with just one well-placed blow.

Even now, with an untold number of shocks committed to the record books, fighters whose names are not easily recalled consistently find themselves overlooked by fans, pundits, oddsmakers and, for that matter, opponents.

Although he was far from alone, Donald Cerrone raised more than a few eyebrows after admitting he had never heard of fellow welterweight Darren Till before they were matched in the headlining bout of October’s UFC Fight Night 118 event in Poland.

It took Till (16-0-1 MMA, 4-0-1 UFC) less than a round to acquaint himself with Cerrone, and those fans who were left reattaching their jaws as he pulverized the former lightweight title challenger with a volley of unanswered shots.

Darren Till full post-UFC Fight Night 118 press conference

UFC President Dana White immediately took to social media to anoint Till the promotion’s next big star and.

And just like that, the Liverpool native was the most wanted man at 170 pounds (via Instagram):

Till couldn’t have been happier.

“All the welterweights were jealous of that and calling me Dana’s new cash cow,” Till told MMAjunkie. “If Dana’s put a target on my back, I want that. I want people to want to come and fight me so I can beat everyone on my way to the title.

“They can say what they want because if they want to come and fight me, then come and fight me. But they’re going to have a hard night because I am hard (expletive).”

Continued,

Life after 'Cowboy' win? Darren Till has bus pass, resides in uncle's spare bedroom

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
noice

he is a hard mother fucker for sure

All fighters are infinitely more dangerous when they are poor and hungry

Very rare is the fighter who gets better after they get rich

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Till signed a 5-fight contract in August, prior to his big win over Cowboy.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXQuyl8AmzT/?taken-by=darrentill2

Based on the story that Onetrickpony posted, maybe he didn't get fair value. It's a shame because when you consider Onetrickpony's other thread on falling UFC PPV numbers, it's clear that the organization is lacking star power. Here's a young lion who is the heir apparent to Michael Bisping as England's MMA icon. He also has a growing fan base in North America following that Cerrone TKO.

HE DESERVES TO BE MAKING DECENT COIN!

Last edited:

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016

Based on the story that Onetrickpony posted, maybe he didn't get fair value. It's a shame because when you consider Onetrickpony's other thread on falling UFC PPV numbers, it's clear that the organization is lacking star power. Here's a young lion who is the heir apparent to Michael Bisping as England's MMA icon. He also has a growing fan base in North America following that Cerrone TKO.

Not sure if you know, it took someone telling me when I came here, MovinOn @MovinOn if you put an @ before someone’s name sends them a notification letting them know you mentioned them.

As far as tills situation goes he may just believe in himself enough to sign for less knowing his performances will allow him to renegotiate further down the line.

Also, all tough motherfuckers love balloons.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015

So he’s just terrible at decision making and/or has the worst manager in the sport.

He signed a contract to pay him only $18,500 guaranteed

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
So he’s just terrible at decision making and/or has the worst manager in the sport.

Yeah, but if fights 5 times in a year, and wins every single one, plus 5 PON bonuses....it all works out.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016

I agree it’s not great but there’s a good chance he was making far less where he was fighting before. He’s witnessed what Conor did and know the opportunity for huge cash is there if he performs. Or he just loves to fight and is willing to put it on the line because he’s hard as fuck, either way I can respect his decision.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
I agree it’s not great but there’s a good chance he was making far less where he was fighting before. He’s witnessed what Conor did and know the opportunity for huge cash is there if he performs. Or he just loves to fight and is willing to put it on the line because he’s hard as fuck, either way I can respect his decision.
Isn’t that similar to my argument about Bamgbosa that you disagreed with? It’s hard to fight for guys like him to make more money when Till is signing for peanuts.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Isn’t that similar to my argument about Bamgbosa that you disagreed with? It’s hard to fight for guys like him to make more money when Till is signing for peanuts.
It's all the more infuriating when you hear comments like this recent one from Dana:

”Who can offer you a better deal than me in combat sports? F--- boxing, MMA, whatever it is,” he added. “Who can offer a better deal than me? The answer is nobody.”

Dana White to boxers: Nobody can offer a better deal in combat sports than me

Better deal for who? Your masters at WME, formerly at Zuffa? Fighter pay isn't a new issue for UFC. They've been battling that image problem for years.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I’m pretty sure I agreed with your argument and I would like to see everyone get paid more.

I believe this situation differs as I doesn’t seem as though Till is upset about his pay check he’s looking at it as a stepping stone where as bamgbose was pissed about not making more cash after a few fights.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
I’m pretty sure I agreed with your argument and I would like to see everyone get paid more.

I believe this situation differs as I doesn’t seem as though Till is upset about his pay check he’s looking at it as a stepping stone where as bamgbose was pissed about not making more cash after a few fights.
Yes we agreed on pay the ufc gives is beyond pathetic . But I initially used the argument a guy who makes $500 fighting on a reservation shouldn’t complain about making $15,000.

Till won a 50k bonus this time and won the fight. If he loses his next 3 at 18k each. Does he have any reason to complain in your opinion?

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Yes we agreed on pay the ufc gives is beyond pathetic . But I initially used the argument a guy who makes $500 fighting on a reservation shouldn’t complain about making $15,000.

Till won a 50k bonus this time and won the fight. If he loses his next 3 at 18k each. Does he have any reason to complain in your opinion?
He signed the contract with open eyes so no, but, I’ll complain for him that all fighters should start at at least 40-40. The ufc needs to pay more than 13% of their revenue to their roster.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
He signed the contract with open eyes so no, but, I’ll complain for him that all fighters should start at at least 40-40. The ufc needs to pay more than 13% of their revenue to their roster.
100% agree
But also my main reason for not always supporting the complaining fighters.