TMMAC big thread of books

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Been a little while since I've updated.

Recently have finished with:

"The 4 Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss (Really interesting read even for those who aren't entrepreneurially inclined)

"The Inconvenient Indian" by Thomas King (highly recommend to anyone interested in issue regarding North American Indians. I don't agree with everything the author says, and to be honest I think he believes some people have much, much more than they actually do. But it's refreshing to see someone a little more nuanced)

"Julius Caesar" and "Hamlet" by Billy Shakespeare (Not much to say, if you haven't read them you probably should. If you only read them for school, you should probably read them again)

and "My Life With the Eskimo" by Vilhjálmur Stefánsson (an "abridged version", well played Amazon) (This might be one of the most interesting books I've ever read. It's rare to find first person source material from the time when the world was still being explored. It lends itself to viewpoints on modern issues that simply aren't discussed, and it also lends itself to some hilarious unintentional comedy. I'm going to have to track down the full version.)

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
I had this book in my late teens and I decided to re-read it and continue on with the trilogy

I'm now onto the second book, Harlequin

after that I'll read the final one, Chaos Child

Love my Kindle ereader. It's been a godsend
I've finished these now, I have to admit I was disappointed in the trilogy overall, and final book was especially bad.

Gotta figure out which 40k novels to download next.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
are you laughing at me for reading shit sci fi novels?
:(
Laughing at your honest criticism. Most people who invest that much time into something are never going to admit that it was terrible. It's the corner stone of Apple's business model.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Laughing at your honest criticism. Most people who invest that much time into something are never going to admit that it was terrible. It's the corner stone of Apple's business model.
I've not been a very dedicated reader in the last 15 years, I had a break after starting these books and picked them up again last week. It didn't require dedication and large quantities of weed like reading the Illuminatus Trilogy could. (or did)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Am I understanding correctly that it's a fairly complete history of the Comanche tribe?
Yeah, but it also focuses a lot on the last years (last 40 or 50) of the tribe as they were been pushed out by settlers.

Here's a short review:
Nonfiction Book Review: Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S. C. Gwynne, Author . Scribner $26 (371p) ISBN 978-1-4165-9105-4

It's perhaps a bit romanticized in some ways, but still an interesting/fun read with lots of good historical info. It's a time period I'm fascinated with, the dynamic between native Americans and white settlers was crazy in a lot of ways. Some friendly, some barbaric. I found this book cool as it helped me paint in my imagination what it would've been like living here back then.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It's perhaps a bit romanticized in some ways, but still an interesting/fun read with lots of good historical info.
What I found fascinating about "My Life With the Eskimo" is that the author isn't harsh or judgmental in any way, but doesn't romanticize it at all. There's one hilarious interaction where the Eskimo tell him "No, no. We don't fish this lake, there aren't any fish here." Then the author mentions that they later learned that the Eskimo believed that if fish haven't been caught there before, it's because there have never been fish there, ever. So literally they only ever fish the same handful of spots. If they go to a new lake they haven't been to before, they automatically assume there aren't any fish in it because otherwise it would be one of their spots.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
What I found fascinating about "My Life With the Eskimo" is that the author isn't harsh or judgmental in any way, but doesn't romanticize it at all. There's one hilarious interaction where the Eskimo tell him "No, no. We don't fish this lake, there aren't any fish here." Then the author mentions that they later learned that the Eskimo believed that if fish haven't been caught there before, it's because there have never been fish there, ever. So literally they only ever fish the same handful of spots. If they go to a new lake they haven't been to before, they automatically assume there aren't any fish in it because otherwise it would be one of their spots.
Sounds like another good read. I'm way more into stuff like this than I am with fiction. I gotta add that to my list too!

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Sounds like another good read. I'm way more into stuff like this than I am with fiction. I gotta add that to my list too!
I enjoy fiction when it's some of the classics, but generally I'm a non-fiction guy. Fact is just so much more entertaining.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
K @Kaladin Stormblessed

Just finished the Book Of Kings a week ago and reading the second one. Holy fuck.
Lol "book" of kings. Freudian slip since WoK is both a book and an in-world book

WoR has my favorite moment of any book. Don't worry, I won't spoil. But it's a chapter called "whitespine uncaged." Especially the last few sentences

Literally got chills the first two times I read it.

But don't go and Google that. Bc it's the surprise that makes it so gnarly. Amd it's a function of the first book and a half that lead up to it.

Glad u liked WoK. Hope u like WoR. If u need a lighter lyft in the meantime, check out the novella edgedancer. It's about a side character, lyft. I don't think she's in WoK. Small role in WoR iirc. And supposedly a bigger role in the second half of the series (books 6-10)

It's a fun Lil read tho

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Lol "book" of kings. Freudian slip since WoK is both a book and an in-world book

WoR has my favorite moment of any book. Don't worry, I won't spoil. But it's a chapter called "whitespine uncaged." Especially the last few sentences

Literally got chills the first two times I read it.

But don't go and Google that. Bc it's the surprise that makes it so gnarly. Amd it's a function of the first book and a half that lead up to it.

Glad u liked WoK. Hope u like WoR. If u need a lighter lyft in the meantime, check out the novella edgedancer. It's about a side character, lyft. I don't think she's in WoK. Small role in WoR iirc. And supposedly a bigger role in the second half of the series (books 6-10)

It's a fun Lil read tho
Oops, yes The Way Of Kings. I'll be looking for it. But I am taking my time, don't read a gem like this that often.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Oops, yes The Way Of Kings. I'll be looking for it. But I am taking my time, don't read a gem like this that often.
Oh my bad. I didn't mean to like start the clock as if Im waiting to see what you thought

Was just saying it on principle bc it's literally my favorite moment of any book by Amy author :) (I worded it poorly above)

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
like that lil push their by the panama guy. that should be a card. 0 tolerance for this shit. these people are terrible role models to kids

fucken a

edit: wrong thread lol

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Yeah but I am curious now lol
lol damn. dont look it up. because you will find something. i loved this bchapter so much i made a shitty narrated animation of it on my YT channel

BUT, the impact is a function of everything that comes before it. so just wait till you get there. my bad!

EDIT: its not about the actions themselves, or the choices people make, but rather, who the people are and what they've been through when they make those choices

M

member 1013

I claim this thread in the name of Asgard

It is now about books ONLY to do with Norse mythology