TMMAC big thread of books

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
It's only 306 pages. I could do it in 23 or less
greatest thing I did in high school was spend a couple hours a day learning to speed read before I went to play basketball & get stoned, it's made life a lot easier since

read Daniel Silva's latest, if you enjoy spy novels it's a great series. Also, just finished Grant by Ron Chernow, 5 stars on the Truck Party scale

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
greatest thing I did in high school was spend a couple hours a day learning to speed read before I went to play basketball & get stoned, it's made life a lot easier since

read Daniel Silva's latest, if you enjoy spy novels it's a great series. Also, just finished Grant by Ron Chernow, 5 stars on the Truck Party scale
Checked them out. Daniel Silva, I will definitely be looking for. Grant and 900+ pages, no thanks. Lol

El Duderino

That's just like...your opinion, man
Nov 11, 2015
Any book recommendations? I've read a handful of books about native Americans in the last few years. It's fascinating to me. Canadian tribes are out of my wheelhouse though, most of what I've read has been on paleo-Indians in the south-southwest, and more recent tribes in my local area (Texas) such as Comanche, Choctaw, Tonkawa, etc.

Check these out if interested

You'd probably have to find Boy Captives somewhere online, it wasn't widely distributed so it likely won't be in local bookshops. Short book and an easy read, but very interesting. It's two brothers that were kidnapped by two different tribes, and both eventually got away and reunited later in life. Crazy stories. Lots of what's covered in this one took place in the vicinity of my local area of central Texas, so it was cool reading about what was going on here when the German and Czech settlers were establishing in the 1800's.

Empire of the Summer Moon is about Quanah Parker and basically the final years of the Comanche. Very good book, highly recommended if you're into Native American history. Even if you don't read the book, Quanah Parker was an interesting guy and worth reading up on him (he is the son of a chief and his mother was white settler who was kidnapped as a child and raised in the tribe, eventually growing a family within. Her son, Quanah, was the last Comanche chief) . I love this kind of history, there are some crazy stories.
They are making a movie based on the book "Empire of the Summer Moon". I think its coming out later this year or early next year. It's being directed by Derek Cianfrance, who directed Blue Valentine and The Place Beyond the Pines. Two really good movies. That book is one of my favorites.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
They are making a movie based on the book "Empire of the Summer Moon". I think its coming out later this year or early next year. It's being directed by Derek Cianfrance, who directed Blue Valentine and The Place Beyond the Pines. Two really good movies. That book is one of my favorites.
Very cool, I had no idea that they were making a movie. I'll be looking forward to that!

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

is speed reading okay for fiction? i feel like my brain wouldnt be able to to process the characters emotions properly. but i might just be wee todd it, compared to you

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
welcome to the site, brotha!! or sister...

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
is speed reading okay for fiction? i feel like my brain wouldnt be able to to process the characters emotions properly. but i might just be wee todd it, compared to you
I never do it, Teddy Roosevelt called reading novels imagination therapy, or something like that. I try to basically direct a movie in my head when reading fiction, seems to help out bigly with life in general

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I never do it, Teddy Roosevelt called reading novels imagination therapy, or something like that. I try to basically direct a movie in my head when reading fiction, seems to help out bigly with life in general
wait, im a lil buzzed. so you use speed reading for non-fiction and educational, but you slow down for fiction ?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Duderino is old school...check the join date

Seems to be an Epic Lurker

i feel like one of those overly eager sophomore who loves highschool. i got a lil too excited to welcome a freshman. and it turns out, he or she is the silent killer sernior linebacker. or the rock solid senior flyer on the cheering squad

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
yep that's pretty much it, I take a lot of breaks with fiction to imagine the scenes, with some exceptions.
nice. im a whore for information and trying to suck up as much as fast as possible. i watch all of youtube on max 2x speed. well shit liek show or book theory videos. ill watch stories, like UFC embedded on 1x. or 1.5x

and i do audible on 1.3-1.5 the first time through a book or 3x after

but in terms of reading, i dig the speed reading concept. read up on it back when i was like 14. and practised for a few weeks. but never truly learned it

i applied it to fiction 4 years ago. and it does work. i could only do about 2/3s of a single line at a time. but i didnt dig it for fiction. and i probably wouldnt do it for education either cause im insane. check out my CFA books

you know how most people highlight stuff they want to relook at? i highlight everything i think i'll know until the day i die. and i leave blank the stuff that im not sure has sunk in. and i keep re-reading until the entire book is highlighted or crossed off lol

you can see by my different pens that i didnt trust my cross off, and ended up re-reading crossed off shit anyway

first time through probably the yellow and left blank the second half of page two. 2nd, 3rd and 4th time through i crossed off the entire page

#infohoar #OCD

El Duderino

That's just like...your opinion, man
Nov 11, 2015
welcome to the site, brotha!! or sister...

Thanks Kaladin. Although my join date is 3 years old, I really am kinda new. I've been a member but I just recently started frequenting this site. I won't mention any names, but I've finally had enough of the other forum I've been on for years. This place really is so much better. The people are much friendlier and you can actually have a discussion without being called every name in the book. I wish I had come here sooner.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Gave you a "Winner" on this post for quoting the GOAT president and all around manliest men to ever grace God's green earth.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Thanks Kaladin. Although my join date is 3 years old, I really am kinda new. I've been a member but I just recently started frequenting this site. I won't mention any names, but I've finally had enough of the other forum I've been on for years. This place really is so much better. The people are much friendlier and you can actually have a discussion without being called every name in the book. I wish I had come here sooner.
Dude. I came. Then I went back. But after I got fed up a SecoND time, I've never looked back. I consider a lot of people here real friend's even though we've yet to meet at an event or something.

When I first showed up, I saw some of what looked like the same type fighting. But I was mistaken. It was actually people who are buds just fuckin with each other

If you watch events, check out a live fight night thread with us. Sometimes we'll be all nerdy and keep it efficient to fight discussions

But usually it starts that way until all these animals get drunk. (I never drink,but I don't mind them)

They turn the thread live, so it's pretty sweet. And people will help ya with a river if you need one

Here's Saturdays thread if youre bored: UFC 227 - Live Discussion 8/4/18

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

i feel like one of those overly eager sophomore who loves highschool. i got a lil too excited to welcome a freshman. and it turns out, he or she is the silent killer sernior linebacker. or the rock solid senior flyer on the cheering squad
Yep
thats why we luv ya

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Dude. I came. Then I went back. But after I got fed up a SecoND time, I've never looked back. I consider a lot of people here real friend's even though we've yet to meet at an event or something.

When I first showed up, I saw some of what looked like the same type fighting. But I was mistaken. It was actually people who are buds just fuckin with each other

If you watch events, check out a live fight night thread with us. Sometimes we'll be all nerdy and keep it efficient to fight discussions

But usually it starts that way until all these animals get drunk. (I never drink,but I don't mind them)

They turn the thread live, so it's pretty sweet. And people will help ya with a river if you need one

Here's Saturdays thread if youre bored: UFC 227 - Live Discussion 8/4/18
wait you don't drink? is that a recent thing?

I saw the video you pulled down, what was u on? Or is that you natural bubbliness, U said u loved me in it...haha

and what do you do at buffalo wild wings then?

Or do I have you confused with another poster?

aren't u the ladykiller with the dope voice?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
wait you don't drink? is that a recent thing?

I saw the video you pulled down, what was u on? Or is that you natural bubbliness, U said u loved me in it...haha

and what do you do at buffalo wild wings then?

Or do I have you confused with another poster?

aren't u the ladykiller with the dope voice?
It was a fib. I was tryna be funny

I was drunk earlier today. I mean,I guess not really. I havent drank anything in 38 days tho. Four allagash today :))

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Just started The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.

Not too far into it but I'm enjoying it and if it's anywhere as enjoyable as Cloud Atlas it'll be a treat.