Sports TMMAC Football (Soccer) Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
So, it is time for my first thread.
I realized there are some European gentlemen and/or ladies on this board who already talked about their clubs, and lets see if there is enough general interest in talking about the biggest sport of them all: Football.
Everyone is invited of course.

So first, for the Americans: we talk about football here, the sport where you actually mostly kick a ball with your feet. Not the sport where you mostly carry an egg with your hand.

Feel free to call it soccer if you must. But if I say football, I mean football, otherwise I use the term american football.

Lets start it off with a small homage to the current world cup winner:

I was there: :)

But I suppose the most memorable takeaway, was this:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
As you've probably guessed by now, I am German.
My club are the red devils, 1.FC Kaiserslautern.

Currently we are only in the second German league.. and it doesn't seem like we have a chance for promotion this year either. (after we did not achieve promotion by a hair 3 years in a row..) The good times are behind us, for now. We lack money and infrastructure. But, we are one of the most prestigious clubs we have here, with a long tradition and loyal fans. That does not win games or pay wages though.

When it comes to international competition, I am patriotic. I am not a hater of Bayern Munich like so many Germans who are not fans of them. I can appreciate what they have and how they got there, even though I see the problems their dominance brings to us nationally. But it is due to them working hard / working good for a long time. Can't be bitter with that. And I support the other German teams in international competition as well.

If you had to make me chose an international team to root for, I would chose Liverpool. Why? The 2005 CL Final. That game made a mark on me. And I remember liking them from thereon and choosing them in games and stuff. It is nothing manically, but I sympathize with them. The current situation with Klopp of course peaked the interest here as well. Having the "Normal One" beat out the "Special One", did not go unnoticed here. And i always liked Emre Can. In general, there are a lot of Germans in the PL right now. Unusual, but interesting.

My main interest club-wise of course is the Bundesliga and Champions League. The EL... has to be overhauled. It is not working.
But I also follow other big leagues, mostly English and Spanish league result-wise, and watch the occasional game if I have the time.
And national teams and competitions are always a joy.

What are your clubs/countries you root for, which do you hate? And maybe why? (I didn't get into the why myself, maybe another time)
What do you follow closely or remotely?

Any Dutch fellas here caring to explain what happened with the EuroCup-Qualification? :]
It is bitter-sweet. The Dutch are good rivals for us. We rather beat them directly! And not to have them in the first EC that features 24 teams.. wow!

Did you enjoy the world cup?
And, when will England win a big title again?

Just put everything in here you want to talk about, football-wise!

Last edited:

In!

Everton fan here...All my family are Liverpool fans....I do like Jurgen Klopp though...That smile is infectious.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
So first, for the Americans: we talk about football here, the sport where you actually mostly kick a ball with your feet. Not the sport where you mostly carry an egg with your hand.
Lol this. If I remember correctly the term "soccer" originated from the UK, I think.

It has always baffled me why they call it football when there's no ball (it's an egg) and they play with their hands. Weird

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Lol this. If I remember correctly the term "soccer" originated from the UK, I think.

It has always baffled me why they call it football when there's no ball (it's an egg) and they play with their hands. Weird
Yea, soccer was a term created in the UK. Not entirely sure why we use it here in America.

As for the ball thing, its a misconception that a ball has to be perfectly spherical. A ball is any body that is rounded or approximately spherical. American football evolved from the sport of rugby football. That's why we use the name for the sport and why the ball we use is almost identically shaped as the one used in rugby.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Yea, soccer was a term created in the UK. Not entirely sure why we use it here in America.

As for the ball thing, its a misconception that a ball has to be perfectly spherical. A ball is any body that is rounded or approximately spherical. American football evolved from the sport of rugby football. That's why we use the name for the sport and why the ball we use is almost identically shaped as the one used in rugby.
Fair enough.
Its still weird however that two giant sports clash by name. I have no problem if people use American football as term. Now, if they only use football, it always feels a little as if they want to force it onto you. And it probably feels the same to Americans if I use football as I do. I know it came by history. But still, its weird. And I felt the need to clarify as I didn’t want to name the thread just soccer-thread.

Everton fan here...All my family are Liverpool fans....I do like Jurgen Klopp though...That smile is infectious.
That sounds rough, and funny. :) Are you going to the stadiums sometimes? Or watching together?
And yeah Klopp is a real character. Def. a dude you would enjoy sharing a beer with.

Fair enough.
Its still weird however that two giant sports clash by name. I have no problem if people use American football as term. Now, if they only use football, it always feels a little as if they want to force it onto you. And it probably feels the same to Americans if I use football as I do. I know it came by history. But still, its weird. And I felt the need to clarify as I didn’t want to name the thread just soccer-thread.

That sounds rough, and funny. :) Are you going to the stadiums sometimes? Or watching together?
And yeah Klopp is a real character. Def. a dude you would enjoy sharing a beer with.

Yeah buddy I used to live less than 2 miles from anfield and goodison...I'm an Everton fan first and foremost but if Liverpool are playing anyone else I still hope they will win....I used to go to most games but I live in Australia now.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah buddy I used to live less than 2 miles from anfield and goodison...I'm an Everton fan first and foremost but if Liverpool are playing anyone else I still hope they will win....I used to go to most games but I live in Australia now.
Lol what's Australian footy like? Doesn't Heskey play over there now?

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Chelsea FC fan here through and through, also used to work at Chelsea FC, alas is why I'm a big fan. Had a few convos with Mourinho, which why it pains me to see them were they are as he's a top bloke. I've moved to pastures new since but I'm still a blue.

I'm hoping Chelsea pull it together.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Ah. Are you able to see the games over there? Probably hard to see them live too.

Chelsea FC fan here through and through, also used to work at Chelsea FC, alas is why I'm a big fan. Had a few convos with Mourinho, which why it pains me to see them were they are as he's a top bloke. I've moved to pastures new since but I'm still a blue.

I'm hoping Chelsea pull it together.
Thats probably what the female doctor said as well. ;)
What did you do there? Some cool stories?

Same here

1. MMA
2. Football

Because of mma I watch less and less football as time goes on.
For me football will always remain #1. Its like the first love, you know. And started much much earlier.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I watch bundesliga every saturday on Fox sports channels and the premier league on NBC ,my local team is the L.A galaxy saw them win the mls cup last year in person.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Fair enough.
Its still weird however that two giant sports clash by name.
In comparison, American Football is tiny, with about 400 million fans it gets eclipsed by an army of 3.5 Billion soccer fanantics. Table Tennis, Field Hockey, Basketball and Cricket are bigger sports than American Football. And not just a little, twice a s big, as for Basketball, maybe 7 times as big as American Football. Even Volleyball is twice as big as American Football (yikes). How's that for a perspective.

Having that said, I do agree with you, it's still a giant sport. Just funny how much of a difference when these sports a lumped together in a sentence like that.

By the way, this year I am really trying to get into American Football.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

Mystery solved: Don’t blame the Americans! The real origin of the word ‘soccer’ | The Rio Report - Yahoo Sport

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Any Dutch fellas here caring to explain what happened with the EuroCup-Qualification? :]
It is bitter-sweet. The Dutch are good rivals for us. We rather beat them directly! And not to have them in the first EC that features 24 teams.. wow!
Well i think the main reason is we SUCK big time at the moment it's not a real team yet.
The dutch Eredivisie doesn't pay that good, so talent leave on a very young age and get picked up by clubs in england, germany,spain and belgium because it just pays better.
The problem with that is alot of these young guys are benched and do not reach there potential.

The dutch team is having a tough time because it's a very young team, 20 of the 24 player combine an average 20 games played for the national team that's not very much.

17 november there is practice game between Germany and the Netherlands, will probably win that because there's nothing on the line.
The Mannschaft has extra powers in a tournament, it freaking insane germany is almost unbeatable in a tournament.

MadFatChickKilla

Oct 25, 2015
In!

Bet you have been the butt of many a joke in your household.

If it isn't Liverpool it's Everton round here, I was always Tranmere to piss people off.

Now I don't follow football but love the passion from the fans in the office, the banter is legit.

Anyway just a passing comment but hands down the best fans out there both Liverpool and Everton fans.

Bet you have been the butt of many a joke in your household.

If it isn't Liverpool it's Everton round here, I was always Tranmere to piss people off.

Now I don't follow football but love the passion from the fans in the office, the banter is legit.

Anyway just a passing comment but hands down the best fans out there both Liverpool and Everton fans.

Correct mate....Many the arguments for me. :)

See you are in Australia now, if you want any merch sending over let me know I would be happy to send it, I have family over in Australia on the east, cousins a quality bricky, got himself some real man hands ha ha
Thanks a lot mate that's well appreciated... Will be keeping that in mind brother.