TMMAC MagWar Draft/Preseason Reviews

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
Preseason 2018 TMMAC MagWar Reviews -

Note - Q1: Aug-Oct, Q2: Nov-Jan, Q3: Feb-Apr, Playoff Quarter: May-July
(See full draft results below)

LawFitz @LawFitz

I'll start with my own team. I think McG has a great shot at beating Khabib, but I'm in the minority. Cyborg's contract also a hinge. Great if she fights twice. Not so if her UFC contract runs out without the 2nd fight. Tatiana, Shoeface, Vick, Zaleski, and Rakic all have year-long potential and four of them fight in Q1. Second-most Q1 fighters in the league with 8 and Conor could be the ninth. Team balanced for Q1 and beyond. Like every other team though, gotta win the fights. Khabib and Nunes are beasts.
- To compete for Q1:
Full roster of Q1 Contract Fighters already assembled. Now just need to win. And finish. And Flex.

Darqnezz @Darqnezz
Till has skill, size and momentum, but Woodley is a crafty champ and should be favored. Jedi and Poirier looked great last weekend and I can see both fighting twice over the next year. Bones is an obvous mid-round flyer with huge upside if USADA absolves him. And Ngannou, OSP, Dern, Cowboy, Gunnar all finishers, which is awesome. But none of them fight in Q1. This team would need to win Q2 or Q3 because it has no shot at Q1 as currently constructed (and by extension, way less chance at the wildcard spot). I don't like that approach as it effectively takes you out of the running for half the playoff spots. It can work if your team wins Q2 or 3, and then gets hot in Q4, but you skip out on Q1 and wildcard fun. Not ideal IMO.
- To compete for Q1:
I'd contract: Woodley, Gall.
Bench: four of Jedi, Poirier (if you think he can beat Cucuy), Bones, Ngannou, OSP, Sodiq or Gunnar. Cull the rest in favor of more Q1 fighters. 5 more contracts to fill as of now.

La Paix @BirdWatcher
Similar story to the above. This team looks great, but needs some Q1 love. Mighty Mouse was/is consensus #1 overall and a excellent rock to anchor the team. Zabit and Lee picks (over Nunes) a bit of a head scratch, but I like both fighters and five other teams also passed on Nunes in the 3rd round, so obvious concerns about the Cyborg superfight matchup. Borrachinha and Sage are surging. UFC probably throws Sage a couple more soft balls, but Costa is in the middleweight shark waters now. Yoel or Stylebender next. Yikes. And only one Q1 fighter (Mouse) for this team so far. Double yikes.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: Mouse;
Bench: four of Zabit, Lee, Costa, Sage or RDA. Cull the rest for Q1 guys to help Mouse try to win you the opening quarter. 6 contracts left to fill.

The Sound of Violence @The Sound of Violence
The defending champ needs some props. Shevchenko gonna dominate at FLW-W. Max is blessed. Gaethje over Nunes and Cucuy makes me throw up a bit in my mouth though. Obviously SOV thinks Gaethje is gonna mop my boy Vick. It's a KO call, if I've ever seen one, and I do like the boldness. Nice mix of Q1 fighters + others who might get scheduled in Q1 and some upside holds like Corey A and GSP.
- To compete for Q1: N/A. SOV is champ. He knows what's what.

Weidman's right nut @Weidman's right nut
This was a MagWar autodraft team. WRN kept landing top MagWar rankings fighters as they were passed on by other teams and fell. Top six picks are all studs, but four of them have murky health or fight schedules: Rose, Bobby Knuckles, Nunes, Wonderboy. Plus Vieira, Jacare, Lil Pettis, Pantoja all fighters worthy of rostering. But there's no room on this team, unless it takes the Q2/Q3 route (Jac scheduled already in Q2). WRN didn't show up for the draft or set his own autodraft rankings, and so a potential MIA coach for this otherwise stellar squad. Where you at, WRN!
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: Vieira, Esparza, Moraga;
Bench: Rose, Bobby, Nunes and one of Wonderboy, Jac, Pettis or Pantoja. Cull from there. 4 more contracts to fill.

nuraknu @nuraknu

Mini Mendes in round 2 was surprising. But Chad looked great in his return and could definitely justify that selection this year. This team has a ton of fighters I like, but very few fights scheduled. Cormier, Volkov, Krylov, Reyes, Price, Rountree, Yadong, Luque... These all look like solid, classic Nuraknu picks to me. Let's not forget she won two quarters last season and was the runner-up during the final. I have full confidence she will rebalance and manage Q1 and beyond. Nuraknu is a MagWar ninja.
- To compete for Q1: you just do you, Nuraknu

regular john @regular john
I actually really like this team. Khabib, Yoel, Cucuy, Gustafsson. Studs. The rest look cuttable, except perhaps Aldo and/or Holm. That's not a bad thing if this team is to rejigger to compete for Q1 and the wildcard.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract Karolina (and potentially Khabib);
Bench Yoel, Cucuy, Gus and one more if Khabib gets the Conor fight in October. Cull the rest for Q1 names to help Khabib win you the quarter, should he defeat Conor (in October). 5-6 contracts to fill.

No 1 Boolshit Guy @No 1 Boolshit Guy
This team's base is solid: Till, Andrade, Edgar, Moraes, Anthony Smith. Yana Kunitskaya was a sneaky late pick. Till and Andrade scheduled in Q1, plus Jimmie Rivera. Lots of room elsewhere to cull and add more Q1 fights.
- To compete for Q1: N/A - this is another former MagWar champ. Though he has decided to step up to the TMMAC big league this year. Let's see if he's got the same mojo, but I'll save him the roster management advice.

Sex Chicken @True Belieber (Sex Chicken)
Ortega and Cody are pivots. Win those fights and this team contends, but both are underdogs, so there is that. Love the Q1 focus here. Nine Q1 fighters - most in the league - including Cub, Anders, Yan, Aljo and Dodson, who also have full-year potential beyond Q1. If Q1 fails, the Sexy Chicken will reload later for Q2/Q3 and be in position to compete for the wildcard if none of the three quarters work out for this team. Sex. Chickens. What could go wrong?
- To compete for Q1: Win. Finish. Flex.

@txtr1986 -

I was hoping Dillashaw would fall to me at 11. Nope #2 pick. Dude's a ninja. I say he beats Cody again. Kelvin and Colby with probable title shots in Q2, though both will be underdogs. Cejudo being fed to the Mouse again, but this time Henry's got karate moves. He's looked great against everyone but MM. Rest of the team is cullable, except maybe Dom Cruz, Nate and Brock if you think those guys hold up and compete. I'm much more optimistic about Dom than Brock, personally.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: TJD, Cejudo
Bench: Kelvin, Colby, Cruz + Nate or Brock; cull the remaining herd. 5 contracts left to fill.

Gay For Longo -

Ghost of GFL stole Stylebender from me. I love Adesanya obviously. So fun to have a guy like that leading your squad. Stipe, Usman, solid picks. Assuncao is due for big fights and maybe a title shot. I'm a big fan of Hooker and Volkanovski. And Ponzinibbio was a sneaky value last round pick. Lots of solid names on this roster. But Q1 rebalancing will be difficult.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: Oleinik
Bench: Stylebender, Miocic + two of: Usman, Hooker, Assuncao, Volkanovski, Pedro, Ponzinibbio; cull (or maybe trade) the rest. Whopping six Q1 contracts to fill if you want to compete right away.

***The first rule to compete in the game, is maximize your fight opportunities. You get seven active fighter contracts for each 3-mo quarter, plus a new Flex Fighter for each fight card. Get those contracts filled! Q1 starts this weekend. :)***

TMMAC MagWar 2018 League

Note: upcoming fights color codes will appear on the Rosters page for our league, once our season officially begins (this Wednesday). Color codes will also show on the MyTeam and Events pages. Use the colors to help you track each quarter's scheduled fights as you play the game. Q1: Aug-Oct, Q2: Nov-Jan

Last edited:

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Preseason 2018 TMMAC MagWar Reviews -

Note - Q1: Aug-Oct, Q2: Nov-Jan, Q3: Feb-Apr, Playoff Quarter: May-July
(See full draft results below)

LawFitz @LawFitz

I'll start with my own team. I think McG has a great shot at beating Khabib, but I'm in the minority. Cyborg's contract also a hinge. Great if she fights twice. Not so if her UFC contract runs out without the 2nd fight. Tatiana, Shoeface, Vick, Zaleski, and Rakic all have year-long potential and four of them fight in Q1. Second-most Q1 fighters in the league with 8 and Conor could be the ninth. Team balanced for Q1 and beyond. Like every other team though, gotta win the fights. Khabib and Nunes are beasts.
- To compete for Q1:
Full roster of Q1 Contract Fighters already assembled. Now just need to win. And finish. And Flex.

Darqnezz @Darqnezz
Till has skill, size and momentum, but Woodley is a crafty champ and should be favored. Jedi and Poirier looked great last weekend and I can see both fighting twice over the next year. Bones is an obvous mid-round flyer with huge upside if USADA absolves him. And Ngannou, OSP, Dern, Cowboy, Gunnar all finishers, which is awesome. But none of them fight in Q1. This team would need to win Q2 or Q3 because it has no shot at Q1 as currently constructed (and by extension, way less chance at the wildcard spot). I don't like that approach as it effectively takes you out of the running for half the playoff spots. It can work if your team wins Q2 or 3, and then gets hot in Q4, but you skip out on Q1 and wildcard fun. Not ideal IMO.
- To compete for Q1:
I'd contract: Woodley, Gall.
Bench: four of Jedi, Poirier (if you think he can beat Cucuy), Bones, Ngannou, OSP, Sodiq or Gunnar. Cull the rest in favor of more Q1 fighters. 5 more contracts to fill as of now.

La Paix @BirdWatcher
Similar story to the above. This team looks great, but needs some Q1 love. Mighty Mouse was/is consensus #1 overall and a excellent rock to anchor the team. Zabit and Lee picks (over Nunes) a bit of a head scratch, but I like both fighters and five other teams also passed on Nunes in the 3rd round, so obvious concerns about the Cyborg superfight matchup. Borrachinha and Sage are surging. UFC probably throws Sage a couple more soft balls, but Costa is in the middleweight shark waters now. Yoel or Stylebender next. Yikes. And only one Q1 fighter (Mouse) for this team so far. Double yikes.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: Mouse;
Bench: four of Zabit, Lee, Costa, Sage or RDA. Cull the rest for Q1 guys to help Mouse try to win you the opening quarter. 6 contracts left to fill.

The Sound of Violence @The Sound of Violence
The defending champ needs some props. Shevchenko gonna dominate at FLW-W. Max is blessed. Gaethje over Nunes and Cucuy makes me throw up a bit in my mouth though. Obviously SOV thinks Gaethje is gonna mop my boy Vick. It's a KO call, if I've ever seen one, and I do like the boldness. Nice mix of Q1 fighters + others who might get scheduled in Q1 and some upside holds like Corey A and GSP.
- To compete for Q1: N/A. SOV is champ. He knows what's what.

Weidman's right nut @Weidman's right nut
This was a MagWar autodraft team. WRN kept landing top MagWar rankings fighters as they were passed on by other teams and fell. Top six picks are all studs, but four of them have murky health or fight schedules: Rose, Bobby Knuckles, Nunes, Wonderboy. Plus Vieira, Jacare, Lil Pettis, Pantoja all fighters worthy of rostering. But there's no room on this team, unless it takes the Q2/Q3 route (Jac scheduled already in Q2). WRN didn't show up for the draft or set his own autodraft rankings, and so a potential MIA coach for this otherwise stellar squad. Where you at, WRN!
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: Vieira, Esparza, Moraga;
Bench: Rose, Bobby, Nunes and one of Wonderboy, Jac, Pettis or Pantoja. Cull from there. 4 more contracts to fill.

nuraknu @nuraknu

Mini Mendes in round 2 was surprising. But Chad looked great in his return and could definitely justify that selection this year. This team has a ton of fighters I like, but very few fights scheduled. Cormier, Volkov, Krylov, Reyes, Price, Rountree, Yadong, Luque... These all look like solid, classic Nuraknu picks to me. Let's not forget she won two quarters last season and was the runner-up during the final. I have full confidence she will rebalance and manage Q1 and beyond. Nuraknu is a MagWar ninja.
- To compete for Q1: you just do you, Nuraknu

regular john @regular john
I actually really like this team. Khabib, Yoel, Cucuy, Gustafsson. Studs. The rest look cuttable, except perhaps Aldo and/or Holm. That's not a bad thing if this team is to rejigger to compete for Q1 and the wildcard.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract Karolina (and potentially Khabib);
Bench Yoel, Cucuy, Gus and one more if Khabib gets the Conor fight in October. Cull the rest for Q1 names to help Khabib win you the quarter, should he defeat Conor (in October). 5-6 contracts to fill.

No 1 Boolshit Guy @No 1 Boolshit Guy
This team's base is solid: Till, Andrade, Edgar, Moraes, Anthony Smith. Yana Kunitskaya was a sneaky late pick. Till and Andrade scheduled in Q1, plus Jimmie Rivera. Lots of room elsewhere to cull and add more Q1 fights.
- To compete for Q1: N/A - this is another former MagWar champ. Though he has decided to step up to the TMMAC big league this year. Let's see if he's got the same mojo, but I'll save him the roster management advice.

Sex Chicken @True Belieber (Sex Chicken)
Ortega and Cody are pivots. Win those fights and this team contends, but both are underdogs, so there is that. Love the Q1 focus here. Nine Q1 fighters - most in the league - including Cub, Anders, Yan, Aljo and Dodson, who also have full-year potential beyond Q1. If Q1 fails, the Sexy Chicken will reload later for Q2/Q3 and be in position to compete for the wildcard if none of the three quarters work out for this team. Sex. Chickens. What could go wrong?
- To compete for Q1: Win. Finish. Flex.

@txtr1986 -

I was hoping Dillashaw would fall to me at 11. Nope #2 pick. Dude's a ninja. I say he beats Cody again. Kelvin and Colby with probable title shots in Q2, though both will be underdogs. Cejudo being fed to the Mouse again, but this time Henry's got karate moves. He's looked great against everyone but MM. Rest of the team is cullable, except maybe Dom Cruz, Nate and Brock if you think those guys hold up and compete. I'm much more optimistic about Dom than Brock, personally.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: TJD, Cejudo
Bench: Kelvin, Colby, Cruz + Nate or Brock; cull the remaining herd. 5 contracts left to fill.

Gay For Longo -

Ghost of GFL stole Stylebender from me. I love Adesanya obviously. So fun to have a guy like that leading your squad. Stipe, Usman, solid picks. Assuncao is due for big fights and maybe a title shot. I'm a big fan of Hooker and Volkanovski. And Ponzinibbio was a sneaky value last round pick. Lots of solid names on this roster. But Q1 rebalancing will be difficult.
- To compete for Q1:
Contract: Oleinik
Bench: Stylebender, Miocic + two of: Usman, Hooker, Assuncao, Volkanovski, Pedro, Ponzinibbio; cull (or maybe trade) the rest. Whopping six Q1 contracts to fill if you want to compete right away.

***The first rule to compete in the game, is maximize your fight opportunities. You get seven active fighter contracts for each 3-mo quarter, plus a new Flex Fighter for each fight card. Get those contracts filled! Q1 starts this weekend. :)***

TMMAC MagWar 2018 League

Note: upcoming fights color codes will appear on the Rosters page for our league, once our season officially begins (this Wednesday). Color codes will also show on the MyTeam and Events pages. Use the colors to help you track each quarter's scheduled fights as you play the game. Q1: Aug-Oct, Q2: Nov-Jan
Lol thank you for the kind words. He wasn't actually the second fighter on my list - I had to leave it on auto. Last year I did the draft myself - I had a spreadsheet with columns where I knew I wanted one fighter from each column, plus an "all of these" row, or something like that - I have to see if I can find it.

Imo another problem is that a lot of fight announcements seem to be coming closer to fight date lately.

Happy I got mostly finishers, but yeah, I noticed I'm missing people actually scheduled to fight, so I'm gonna work on it! But keeping Mendes, no damage in his fight, so should be scheduled again soon (fingers crossed).

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
^^^ nuraknu @nuraknu
You make a huge point about the timing of fight announcements! There are two entire Q1 fight cards still to be filled, plus another couple half cards towards the end of the quarter. Some of these unscheduled fighters will be a added to the tail end of Q1 on those cards. When I suggested culling herds, I should've mentioned that it doesn't have to happen right away. Take your time, folks. The seven contracts don't need to be set all at once. You can do it over the course of the quarter. Try to predict upcoming matchups where you can get a feel for them to help you position.

The Sound of Violence

Host of a podcast about mma podcasts
Oct 28, 2015
^^^ nuraknu @nuraknu
You make a huge point about the timing of fight announcements! There are two entire Q1 fight cards still to be filled, plus another couple half cards towards the end of the quarter. Some of these unscheduled fighters will be a added to the tail end of Q1 on those cards. When I suggested culling herds, I should've mentioned that it doesn't have to happen right away. Take your time, folks. The seven contracts don't need to be set all at once. You can do it over the course of the quarter. Try to predict upcoming matchups where you can get a feel for them to help you position.
Yep that's the reason I grabbed Tai & Tyson. Aside from their podcast being dope as hell they both stay super active, are in divisions that need bodies and are finishers when the opportunity presents itself

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
^^^ nuraknu @nuraknu
This is why I wanted Lee and Zabit. I feel they both have momentum and stay pretty healthy and active. I can't see either taking much longer off or losing. That and I have no idea what I'm doing.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
Yep that's the reason I grabbed Tai & Tyson. Aside from their podcast being dope as hell they both stay super active, are in divisions that need bodies and are finishers when the opportunity presents itself
Champion's insight right here.

I like to ask myself, who's going to fight? Who's going to finish? Who do I like?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Oddsmakers and analysts are taking longer too...probably because the ufc ballooned its roster so much, plus all the fight changes and injuries. Annoying, especially with the bigger roster to keep track of on your own.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
This is why I wanted Lee and Zabit. I feel they both have momentum and stay pretty healthy and active. I can't see either taking much longer off or losing. That and I have no idea what I'm doing.
You're doing great. So is everybody else. The draft is just the start and every team has a core now to build on. Watch for fight announcements and rumors. I'll set up a page on Twitter to help you guys with that part.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
Here are a couple Twitter folders we set up to help you guys track UFC news and fight announcements. We use these to track new fights and fight news for the site, so you'll see them updated regularly. Bookmark them for later. Cheers.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
Krylov v Blachowicz added to Q1 (UFC Moscow in Sept).

Great example of nuraknu @nuraknu's counterpoint to my original post in this thread. Like she said, focusing on Q1 doesn't mean exclusively picking scheduled fighters. You can also project fights based on fighter health, last fight date, and the upcoming UFC event schedule openings and locations.

In hindsight, it's easy to see how Krylov was scheduled here. Those dots could've been connected pre-draft too, given his recent re-signing and the upcoming Russia event. Like I said earlier, this was a terrific point by Nuraknu. Part of playing the game is most certainly looking at fighter rankings and trying to figure out who will fight whom and when among the unscheduled. Get flowy, Artem.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Krylov v Blachowicz added to Q1 (UFC Moscow in Sept).

Great example of nuraknu @nuraknu's counterpoint to my original post in this thread. Like she said, focusing on Q1 doesn't mean exclusively picking scheduled fighters. You can also project fights based on fighter health, last fight date, and the upcoming UFC event schedule openings and locations.

In hindsight, it's easy to see how Krylov was scheduled here. Those dots could've been connected pre-draft too, given his recent re-signing and the upcoming Russia event. Like I said earlier, this was a terrific point by Nuraknu. Part of playing the game is most certainly looking at fighter rankings and trying to figure out who will fight whom and when among the unscheduled. Get flowy, Artem.
Yeah, but I did not predict that he would end up against Blachowicz...not sure on this one at this point in their careers.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
Yeah, but I did not predict that he would end up against Blachowicz...not sure on this one at this point in their careers.
LOL, fair enough. Matchups certainly count. When your unscheduled guy gets a fight, it might not be an ideal opponent. Gotta decide to roll or punt when this happens. I like Al Capone in this matchup, but I can see reason for concern. I'm confident you'll make the right call.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
This team would need to win Q2 or Q3 because it has no shot at Q1 as currently constructed (and by extension, way less chance at the wildcard spot). I don't like that approach as it effectively takes you out of the running for half the playoff spots. It can work if your team wins Q2 or 3, and then gets hot in Q4, but you skip out on Q1 and wildcard fun. Not ideal IMO.
I made the mistake of thinking Porier and Joanna's fights would count toward Q1. No worries.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
I made the mistake of thinking Porier and Joanna's fights would count toward Q1. No worries.
I had a feeling that might be the case. Both will fight two more times in the next 12 months IMO. Dustin vs. Cucuy and Joanna in a title shot eliminator fight by end of year.