Lifestyle TMMAC Rockhounds/geologists

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Collected these today. This is commonly referred to as “cave popcorn”. It’s a different type of speleothem formation than stalactites/stalagmites,forms a little differently but chemically the same type of mineral deposit.
BEB70774-DB0E-4990-9C58-AF5B9F49DBFA.jpeg8C78F89B-1312-4EEF-AD70-AF6BCE816C65.jpegEF3952A5-684C-459E-BF94-508FF0E768B8.jpeg

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Collected these today. This is commonly referred to as “cave popcorn”. It’s a different type of speleothem formation than stalactites/stalagmites,forms a little differently but chemically the same type of mineral deposit.
View attachment 45398View attachment 45399View attachment 45400
Great pieces.

I went to the Oregon coast to hike around the sandstone pillars. This was a great location for metamorphic, igneous & sedimentary conglomerates.
A bit like Mars in some ways I imagine.

20210829_125417.jpg20210829_125215.jpg20210829_125134.jpg20210829_124245.jpg20210829_123738.jpg

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Just north of where I worked was a town called quartzite. Guess what they had lots of? Also it was very strange, the town sign had camel's on it. But there's a story to that. Apparently many years ago the army purchased a bunch of camels to use as an alternative to horses. But then they decided they were shite and sent all the camel's down to live in the Arizona desert until they all died happily ever after.
there's still wild camels in AZ.

I drive through Quartzite all the time. Date shakes, bro.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
My 7 year old likes stones and collects them but they're pretty much just pebbles. He has found a couple of small fossils.

He's asked me to get him a tumbler, which I'll buy him for Christmas.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
can you recommend a rock
For the most part, geodes will be filled with various types of quartz. Amethyst (which is just a purple variety of quartz) is common, but also aesthetically pleasing to most. I'm sure there are a bunch of places to buy geodes online for not too much, but for the love of god please do not buy the stained/colored ones! I don't know why that is such a thing, but people will stain geodes to weird colors like bright pink, teal, or blue, etc. It drives me nuts, they're cool enough on their own! :)

I know they sell kits with multiple geodes, and then the kids get to break them open. They're usually not very big in these kits, but that can be fine for the kids. A year or so ago I bought a 12 pack for my son and he had a blast breaking them open. Some were cooler than others, but that's part of the fun - finally discovering the good one.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
For the most part, geodes will be filled with various types of quartz. Amethyst (which is just a purple variety of quartz) is common, but also aesthetically pleasing to most. I'm sure there are a bunch of places to buy geodes online for not too much, but for the love of god please do not buy the stained/colored ones! I don't know why that is such a thing, but people will stain geodes to weird colors like bright pink, teal, or blue, etc. It drives me nuts, they're cool enough on their own! :)

I know they sell kits with multiple geodes, and then the kids get to break them open. They're usually not very big in these kits, but that can be fine for the kids. A year or so ago I bought a 12 pack for my son and he had a blast breaking them open. Some were cooler than others, but that's part of the fun - finally discovering the good one.
she's been buying the little ones from the craft store and cracking them open, but she said she likes the crystal more than the surprise.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
she said she likes the crystal more than the surprise
Fair enough, I can't really argue with that! Sound like you should buy one that's already been cracked so you know what you're getting.

I bet you could look around and find one that has some colors she likes, or something. Amethyst will probably be really common when you look around though.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My 7 year old likes stones and collects them but they're pretty much just pebbles. He has found a couple of small fossils.

He's asked me to get him a tumbler, which I'll buy him for Christmas.
My boy is about the same age, and also likes collecting rocks. And I also bring him stuff home from work all the time too (most of which he wants to smash with a hammer haha).

I'll share this just because I thought it was a cool activity, and your son is the same age as when we did this:
Last year while we were homeschooling/remote learning during the first shutdown, one of the activities his teacher assigned was for each child to go collect 15-20 rocks, minerals, or fossils. And then each child had to pick a constellation, and then draw it in chalk on the driveway/sidewalk placing the collected specimens as the stars. And then they all go to show off their collection and constellation to the other kids on Zoom. It was pretty cool because most of the kids were super excited about specific rocks/minerals they had found. Anyway, just thought that was a fun activity. It allowed me to discuss different minerals and fossils with my son, plus a little astronomy mixed in!

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
My boy is about the same age, and also likes collecting rocks. And I also bring him stuff home from work all the time too (most of which he wants to smash with a hammer haha).

I'll share this just because I thought it was a cool activity, and your son is the same age as when we did this:
Last year while we were homeschooling/remote learning during the first shutdown, one of the activities his teacher assigned was for each child to go collect 15-20 rocks, minerals, or fossils. And then each child had to pick a constellation, and then draw it in chalk on the driveway/sidewalk placing the collected specimens as the stars. And then they all go to show off their collection and constellation to the other kids on Zoom. It was pretty cool because most of the kids were super excited about specific rocks/minerals they had found. Anyway, just thought that was a fun activity. It allowed me to discuss different minerals and fossils with my son, plus a little astronomy mixed in!
mine is the same age-ish. Now I'm thinking about doing the "Earth is a peppercorn" exercise with her, but using different size rocks/fossils for the planets...

hmmm....

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I was cleaning out a drawer the other day and found some of the artifacts I've collected over the years at work. I had honestly forgot about a few of these. I don't know the names all that well, but I think the notched one is what they call a Castroville point.
IMG_0308.jpg

More in the display table at the office.
IMG_0341.jpg

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I have an perfectly formed amber crystal inside a 1 inch long snail shell

Found it on a road cut that exposed millions of fossils in a private science class for nerd dork kids back when I was 8-10 give or take

The teacher begged me to let her have it, I said no...Let me find it and take a photo to share

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Neat thread. I liked looking through this one.
I used to find Petoskey stones in my youth. Completely forgot about them, to be honest. Bit of a time trip. Lol