TMMAC Think Tank: MMA Scoring and Judging

Discussion in 'Cageside - MMA Discussion' started by Grateful Dude, Feb 11, 2020.

1. JonJonesBeard

JonJonesBeard The Face That Runs the Place

Ratings:
    +29,654
    One of few ideas that gets floated that actually makes sense. Even during the fight on Saturday we kept hearing "They're no really landing because Jones has his hands up." Anyone who's ever been hit knows that putting your arm between a strike and your head isn't anything to write home about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Frank Armitage

First 100

Ratings:
    +43,546
    I wasn't trying to shit up thread...just giving my two cents

in a bubble,
    educated Refs and Judges
    willingness to use 10-10 rounds or let fights be draws
    use the whole ten points and deduct one for every foul that affects fight in any way, use the full 10 points
    more than 3 judges...maybe 5 or 7.

Huge fucking finish bonuses so judges are needed less often

Rules need a massive tweaking but that is another thread

3. Grateful Dude

Grateful Dude Posting Machine

Ratings:
    +8,618
    No worries man, it’s all friendly in here. Didn’t think you were shitting it up.

I do like the idea about more judges and better education for judges/refs. Seems commonsensical to me. Would Jones/Reyes have been different with 5 judges? I don’t know, but it’d be interesting if we could see how that would have worked out.

and as far as finish bonuses, I’m all for anything that puts money in the fighters pockets.

4. Frank Armitage

First 100

Ratings:
    +43,546
    well with 5 judges or 7 the more extreme card would mean less, but still could likely sway the fight...scorecards just kinda blow

but IMO corruption is what combat sports will never overcome...a million ways to skin that rabbit

5. Twelve Twenty Four

Twelve Twenty Four Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    fair enough ; you can always improve that's for sure

• Like Like x 1
  6. Simpleman

Simpleman First 100
    First 100

Ratings:
    +1,300
    Whatever changes they make should be done on the undercards / non-televised fights. This way if it does not work out as planned non huge loss. Also gives the fighter, refs, officials and fans a chance to tweak their expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fag Trigg

Fag Trigg Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,474
    i want 10 pt must scores for every minute of a round
    it would be more accurate but require a complicated system
    more judges, watching monitors that shut off for the minute they dont score (the alternate judges score the even # minutes)

8. Kneeblock

Kneeblock Jumbo shrimp

Ratings:
    +19,183
    I think the issue is fans and judges have highly variable ideas of the goal of a Mixed Martial Arts bout.

We think of it as a fight and we call it a fight. Earlier in the sport's history it was closer to a fight in the street, but even then it was different.

It's not a fight. It's never been a fight. So the object being to "finish the fight" is flawed. Finishing a fight means incapacitating your adversary until they can't possibly hurt you anymore on one hand. On the other it means use whatever force necessary to escape harm. Either way the primary objective is minimize harm to yourself. Not necessarily dole out maximum harm to someone else.

The sport version of a "fight" has taken this idea and added scoring mostly on the side of how much harm you dole out, which isn't necessarily the top priority in training or competition. And realistically, from a labor perspective, fighters have always communicated queasiness about focusing more on a finish than doing things correctly, according to their training. Any judging reform thus has to take this reality into account in the way it gives and takes points.

In my view, Pride scoring, which allowed judges to take a more interpretive stance on what the fighters were trying to do and how well they accomplished it over a long followed by a shorter round, is the best way to approach things. It requires highly skilled and trained judges that have a clear and uniform rubric for interpretation, but it also would require rule changes that might not accommodate Western attention spans and wouldn't be commercial friendly for American television. In the 10 point must system we're always going to be debating individual rounds and judge subjectivity is going to play a much more consistent role.

Draft saved Draft deleted