Sports Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics (7/23/21-8/8/21)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This 3 on 3 is pretty lame

They play organized ball when street ball skill is required.

Should check ball after each score, it establishes a baseline and even start for both teams.

Their ruleset just isn't great for viewers, it seems rushed...should be a score, some shit talk or flex, then ball up for the other team

Trying to hard to simulate full court fast break when it just isn't possible

Source: used to be a gym and street ball rat and played/watched thousands of hours of diff rulesets and styles

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
This 3 on 3 is pretty lame

They play organized ball when street ball skill is required.

Should check ball after each score, it establishes a baseline and even start for both teams.

Their ruleset just isn't great for viewers, it seems rushed...should be a score, some shit talk or flex, then ball up for the other team

Trying to hard to simulate full court fast break when it just isn't possible

Source: used to be a gym and street ball rat and played/watched thousands of hours of diff rulesets and styles
they should have judges award points for trash-talking and flexing.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
the Olympics reminds me more and more of "mandingo fighting" every time it comes around.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I hope she talks mad shit about not being a quitter and finally the team USA has a leader they can rely on.

Then they can have a fight on the undercard of a Jake Paul paperview

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So... I guess Simone knew what she was doing after all?
I didn't really understand why she quit and everybody's talking about her mental health. Then I see these gymnasts talking about "the twisties". Apparently this is a common term in gymnastics for losing the mind muscle connection. Particularly gymnasts talk about having difficulty identifying the ground when doing spinning maneuvers. Which of course is incredibly dangerous and at least one Olympic gymnast has been paralyzed in this setting.
Sure that's kind of a mental health thing but really if you're having difficulty performing, why would you put yourself at career ending risk instead of backing up and fixing the problem?
"The yips" are talked about and golf and pitching and kind of sounds like the same thing. People just sort of lose that mind muscle connection that lets them hit a putt without overly thinking about it.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I didn't really understand why she quit and everybody's talking about her mental health. Then I see these gymnasts talking about "the twisties". Apparently this is a common term in gymnastics for losing the mind muscle connection. Particularly gymnasts talk about having difficulty identifying the ground when doing spinning maneuvers. Which of course is incredibly dangerous and at least one Olympic gymnast has been paralyzed in this setting.
Sure that's kind of a mental health thing but really if you're having difficulty performing, why would you put yourself at career ending risk instead of backing up and fixing the problem?
"The yips" are talked about and golf and pitching and kind of sounds like the same thing. People just sort of lose that mind muscle connection that lets them hit a putt without overly thinking about it.
ever read the stuff on Flow States by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi? he has an entire book on how the "thoughtless execution" state in athletes, how to achieve it and how hard it is to sustain it.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
ever read the stuff on Flow States by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi? he has an entire book on how the "thoughtless execution" state in athletes, how to achieve it and how hard it is to sustain it.
I have not but I've heard the term. I'll check it out.
I took a tactical pistol shooting class after years of shooting at a range with defined rules where you put the gun down on misfires and cold ranges and whatnot. You pick up your brass.
Suddenly I'm drawing from a holster with a shot clock and supposed to drive right through malfunctions.

I could do it in pieces. And I could do it without having the timer going. But the moment I was put on the spot I would revert to old muscle memory. It would take a conscious effort to not have the shot clocks psyche me out and disrupt what I could do easily when no pressure is on. Habit is a crazy thing.

I also can't catch a ball for shit when focused. But someone gives me a think fast I'm like the matrix and Don't even really understand how I did it since any other time I don't think I could.

Flow state is crazy.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I have not but I've heard the term. I'll check it out.
I took a tactical pistol shooting class after years of shooting at a range with defined rules where you put the gun down on misfires and cold ranges and whatnot. You pick up your brass.
Suddenly I'm drawing from a holster with a shot clock and supposed to drive right through malfunctions.

I could do it in pieces. And I could do it without having the timer going. But the moment I was put on the spot I would revert to old muscle memory. It would take a conscious effort to not have the shot clocks psyche me out and disrupt what I could do easily when no pressure is on. Habit is a crazy thing.

I also can't catch a ball for shit when focused. But someone gives me a think fast I'm like the matrix and Don't even really understand how I did it since any other time I don't think I could.

Flow state is crazy.
it's about balancing the challenge with the confidence in skill. That keeps the frontal lobe and temporal lobe from putting "noise" in the observation/response loop of the sensor/execution parts of the nervous system.

of course, he's very smart and explains it in much more detail and with much more betterocity.

EDIT - here's the first google result, you lazy fucks

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I read the same- she said "I didn't know where I was" coming off one of the apparatus and rather than risk a poor score and/or some kind of mental (or physical) break, she pulled out.

It feels like more and more athletes and other public figures are realizing no one gives a fuck about their health (how long did the US gymnastics team cover up a pedophile doctor?), so they need to be the ones to give a fuck. Combined with the rampant Dunning-Kruger epidemic in America, I can totally understand the outrage. I went on Fox News to see what the narrative would be, and the comments were telling. You get a lot of Uncle Ricos talking about how they understand pressure because they played Jr Varsity Ping Pong or something:

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 8.14.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-29 at 8.16.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 8.12.39 AM.png

I didn't realize there was so much denialism about mental health on the right.