VID Tom Lawlor tried to dress up as Conor McGregor for UFC on FOX 16’s weigh-ins

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d53O7CLPA_I

Tom Lawlor has been one of the most outspoken fighters against the UFC's exclusive apparel deal with Reebok, so he knew what he was getting into at UFC on FOX 16.

Lawlor returned from a two-year absence to pick up a highlight-reel knockout over Gian Villante on Saturday's preliminary card. While the win was a hugely important one for Lawlor, gone were the costumes and hijinks that fans have come to expect from the colorful TUF 8 veteran -- though not from a lack of trying.

"When I got to Chicago, the biggest issue I ran into was dealing with the Reebok people," Lawlor said Monday on The MMA Hour.

"My plan was to be Conor McGregor at the weigh-ins, so I had asked if I could wear the Conor McGregor fight kit. You know, they give you the Reebok stuff and they said, ‘do you have any questions?' I said, ‘yes, I have a question. Can I wear Conor McGregor's fight kit?' And the way it was met, to me, was like, ‘why would you want to do that? Why would anyone want to do that? Don't you want your family to buy these jerseys with your name on them?' So right there, it clued me in that perhaps the people that were in charge of some of this stuff weren't as familiar with the product as I would've liked.

"That's what the fans know me as," Lawlor continued. "Now, I don't expect everybody who's an MMA fan to know about me. There's 500 guys in the UFC. Everybody has a different personality, stuff like that. But instead of saying, ‘okay, we'll look into it,' it was kind of like, I was insulted basically."

Lawlor said the interaction left a sour taste in his mouth for all of fight week, further proving to him that, for better or worse, the UFC was just "not the same" that it was when he last fought two years ago.

Lawlor is infamous among MMA circles for his weigh-in and entrance characters, having spoofed legends like Dan Severn and Genki Sudo in the past. He noted that the familial feel of erstwhile events had been replaced by a more businesslike approach, one that surprised him even if he somewhat expected it.

Still, Lawlor found a creative way to get the laughs he wanted by bundling himself up in a mass of his free Reebok gear at UFC on FOX 16's weigh-ins, à la Garth in Wayne's World.

"I did not wear all of it," Lawlor said, laughing. "There were, I think, two more pairs of socks and three more pairs of underwear, but it got to point where I felt like, okay, if I really go out there and put everything on in this bag, somebody might get pissed as me. There might be some backlash, so let me tone it down a little bit. I was actually at one point going to put another pair of shoes on my hands and walk out with those on all fours like Khabib Nurmagomedov's buddy, the bear. But unfortunately I've got to save something for the future for now."

LINK: Tom Lawlor tried to dress up as Conor McGregor for UFC on FOX 16’s weigh-ins - MMA Fighting

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I wanna hear Conors thoughts...safter seeing him throw his gear in disgust....he probably think it's funny and original..

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Could you imagine if he came out looking like a color blind pimp and had a lil dana doll sewed to the under arm of the coat so it looked like dana was following him kissing ass which he always does.