Tom Waits

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Anyone is a fan of this man?

One of these days I was listening to the Queens Of The Stone Age - like I do every day - and I was appreciating their cover of "Goin' Out West"; then it hit me: both the GOAT audio (QOTSA) and the GOAT video (The Wire) are in one way or another related to Tom Waits;

as well as another one of my favorite bands - Ramones - and to go with that, as a kid growing up in the 90's watching a lot of MTV I remembered Tom Waits as this crazy-weird-respectable-cool guy who not even Beavis and Butthead could bring themselves to say a bad word about;

then I started listening to Tom Waits music and quickly became a fan. apparently a lot of his songs are straight up piano ballads which is just not my thing, but when he brings the weirdness, clever lyrics, and lets his lung cancer voice do the work, then we're looking at some of the most original piece of music I've ever heard.

this is the song that kickstarted my fandom in its original incarnation:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LLPANAgzw

Last edited:

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015

my favorite Tom Wait's tune.
I think that's my favorite too. such cool lyrics.

I can totally see the influence it had on Josh Homme. he wrote several songs from the same point of view: a cool, badass, invincible character bragging about himself, such as the great "Misfit Love" and "Scumbag Blues" from Them Crooked Vultures.