Tony Ferguson Vs Conor McGregor... let's talk about it!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMA Slam Podcast

Apr 3, 2019
Soooo Tony met with UFC officials recently, tweeted he is back. Uhhh... could a fight with Conor go down? Makes sense in a way as far as rankings? Would be epic. Tough fight for Conor imo... Tony's cardio alone would be an issue and his volume.

He is durable, got a ground game. Who would you guys pick? In Conor's favor, Tony tends to leave himself open a lot. Conor is pretty damn precise, left is dynamite. Great fight, could go either way... but to me Tony is a more of a bad match up for Conor than the other way around. If he fights smart anyway.

View: https://youtu.be/HIt9sYcNNxM

Last edited:

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The best Tony would have to show up.
At 2-5 years ago it would've been all Tony.
Now El Cucuy gets El dropped by decent strikers.
Tony's on the decline, 35 yo, and honestly hasn't looked himself (despite winning) his last couple fights.

Mcgregor at 30 is in his prime, DOES have decent cardio, very strong, excellent timing, and punches hard.

Prime Tony outclasses Mcgregor, but Mcgregor is "career-wise", in that he uses his age & landscape to negotiate who he fights and exactly when.
This has leveled the field in his favor overall.
Tony's window is closing fast, which sucks because he very well could've owned the belt & spotlight the last few years.

I don't favor Tony anymore unless he shows me something.
But because he's still a high threat, I see no incentive for Mcgregor to even take the fight.
Malignaggi, Nate... even Anderson & Holloway are bigger money fights.
I wonder what his contract looks like.
Might we see him in Rizin fighting Pacquiao?

MMA Slam Podcast

Apr 3, 2019
Tony's on the decline, 35 yo, and honestly hasn't looked himself (despite winning) his last couple fights.

Mcgregor at 30 is in his prime, DOES have decent cardio, very strong, excellent timing, and punches hard.

Prime Tony outclasses Mcgregor, but Mcgregor is "career-wise", in that he uses his age & landscape to negotiate who he fights and exactly when.
Tony's window is closing fast, which sucks because he very well could've owned the belt & spotlight the last few years.

But because he's still a high threat, I see no incentive for Mcgregor to even take the fight.
Glad you pointed something out besides other points... Conor does have decent cardio. That's kind of a myth. It's his explosive style that taxes him. But he does have cardio and an okay ground game. Eddie Bravo cosigns it. He swept Nate, had him stacked up I think in first fight end of round 1.

Controlled Holloway on the ground. Btw Tony looked like a killer against Pettis. Not slowed down one bit. Fighters decline when they decline... not a hard concrete age thing. Tony looks like Tony to me still. He may still look like Tony til 40... who knows.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015

I agree on all points. Tony brings Conor to the ground, it's an easy win, but he doesn't have the chin Khabib has and Conor WILL touch it when he's coming in.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Tony is very hittable. Conor is a precision striker.
Conor is very vulnerable to submissions. Tony is a submission ace.

To me this is a pick 'em fight and will be determined by whether Tony can get it to the ground. I anticipate Tony will dive in with an Imanari Roll to try and get a hold of a leg and cause a scramble, instead of trying for a single/double leg against the fence.

Shorinji

Intergalactic Destroyer of Souls
Oct 25, 2015
Rather see Tony fight Gaethje, Cowboy, Poirier/Khabib winner.

Let that Irish clown fight Mark Wahlberg, or someone in the bottom half of the top 10-15 where he belongs. Even his fans should agree that he need a more winnable fight, another loss and his brand is (even more) ruined.