Trading Shots: Was Tim Means right to take aim at the MMA media?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Tim Means

In this week’s Trading Shots, MMAjunkie columnist Ben Fowlkes and retired UFC/WEC fighter Danny Downes look back at Tim Means’ surprising callout of the MMA media after his win at UFC on FOX 15.

Fowlkes: Danny, I know the MMA media hater in you was happy to see Tim Means take a shot at us after his submission win over George Sullivan at UFC on FOX 15 on Saturday. As he explained later, he was mostly upset with Bleacher Report, and mostly for labeling him “one-dimensional,” but he also said that if the MMA media wants fighters to get better, it needs to get better at what it does.

After you got done fist-bumping your TV screen in solidarity, Danny, what did you make of Means’ comments? Does he have a point here, or is this just a fighter who wants nicer write-ups?

Downes: Being a man of the people, I’m always happy to see someone take it to the so-called media as you all sit in your ivory towers drinking organic coffee next to your latest purchases from the Apple Store. That said, Means didn’t really invigorate me with rousing rhetoric. His conclusion is correct, but the way he got to it seems flawed.

Sure, anyone who calls him “just a striker” could be seen as not fully analyzing his ability. It’s similar to calling Chris Weidman “just a wrestler.” Both fighters have rounded out their abilities and possess additional skills beyond their original base. But to make a personal slight the jumping point for the attack? Even Al Iaquinta is thinking, “Hey man, you should have thought this one through.”

Now, I don’t think he just wants “nicer write-ups.” I think he wishes media members had a better eye for the sport. A lot of MMA media don’t really understand the sport they cover. You know as well as I do that a lot haven’t even graduated beyond fan boy/girl amateurism. You think Buster Olney is standing around hoping to take a selfie with Yasiel Puig? Say what you will about Keith Olbermann, but I doubt he’s using Twitter to ask athletes when they can go hang out.

I understand that even though writers work at different publications or websites, they’re colleagues. You all deal with the same BS from fighters, promoters and managers, so there’s a certain sense of solidarity among your group. You see each other at all the different events, and if you called someone out, it would make things tense in the professional setting.

If that’s the case, whose job is it to improve the MMA media? In the larger media landscape, you have watchdog groups that focus on highlighting inaccuracies/corruption in reporting. You even have programs like “The Daily Show” or “On the Media” that dedicate time to investigate media ethics and professionalism. Why is there no such mechanism in MMA?

Ronda Rousey and media

Fowlkes: I’ve seen plenty of people over the years who, mostly on social media, have tried to assume that role. Mostly they’re people who’ve never done much actual journalism themselves. Sports media in particular seems to be one of those fields in which the less experience you have doing it, the more certain you are that you know exactly how it should be done.

I think the big problem with talking about the MMA media in this broad sense is that you’re talking about a spectrum that includes people who do it for a handsome living on one end and people who do it for bylines and a pat on the back between college classes on the other, with a lot of other people in between. A site like Bleacher Report has some legit writers covering MMA, including my man Chad Dundas, who has an actual journalism degree and aforthcoming novel from Penguin/Putnam. It also has some writers who are just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks, and we all know it.

Like you, I think there’s a place for constructive criticism of the MMA media. I also think Means might have stumbled upon a good point after taking all the wrong turns to get there.

“Just don’t write an opinion in the paper,” Means said, presumably while still referring to a website. “Write the facts.”

OK, fine, but 1) Depending on the type of story we’re dealing with, sometimes opinions are the whole point, and 2) The fact is that before this win, Means had zero submission wins in the UFC.

This was his first submission victory since 2011. That’s a fact. He still has four times as many finishes via TKO/KO as he does via submission. There’s another fact. I get it, Means thinks he can do more than people give him credit for. I think we all feel that way sometimes, and people who have to read about themselves “in the paper” feel it even more. But did this critique from Means really tell us anything, other than that Means sometimes reads Bleacher Report and gets mad about it, just like the rest of us?

Downes: I agree that one of the problems with MMA media is that there’s such a broad spectrum of people doing it. The fact that there are many writers who also work for the UFC itself poses a problem. What ever happened to conflicts of interest? If you’re getting paid to create content for the UFC on FOX, UFC magazine or UFC.com, how are we supposed to trust you? Wait…um…

One thing he told us is that media members are almost as sensitive as fighters when it comes to criticism. And as you just pointed out, the only real attempts at criticism come from social media. Is the forum people use to disseminate pictures of their lunch or complain about mundane inconveniencesthe proper vehicle for true criticism?

Take this very website. When “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 20 began, you wrote about how you didn’t agree with the objectification of the female athletes. Instead of focusing on their skills and abilities, the emphasis was placed on their pretty faces. Yet, when I visit MMAjunkie, I’m met with headlines like this.

Felice Herrig and Paige VanZant

Yes, I know that sex sells and there are probably people who visited the website just to see pictures of Paige...

Read more...

Trading Shots: Was Tim Means right to take aim at the MMA media? | MMAjunkie

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
e fact that there are many writers who also work for the UFC itself poses a problem. What ever happened to conflicts of interest? If you’re getting paid to create content for the UFC on FOX, UFC magazine or UFC.com, how are we supposed to trust you?

Thank god this is getting focus.
“Just don’t write an opinion in the paper,” Means said, presumably while still referring to a website. “Write the facts.”

OK, fine, but 1) Depending on the type of story we’re dealing with, sometimes opinions are the whole point, and 2) The fact is that before this win, Means had zero submission wins in the UFC.

This was his first submission victory since 2011. That’s a fact. He still has four times as many finishes via TKO/KO as he does via submission. There’s another fact.
This is so much twisting. If a fighter finishes a certain way, that doesn't show a lack of something else. It shows a strength. If you want to make the case for lack of ground game you'd have to show places where the fighter was in trouble due to lack of ability. These are essentially tangentially related facts that prove nothing. There have been MANY strikers over the years that dont rely on their ground game because they dont have to. And then everyone acts amazed that a top tier fighter isn't a slouch once some opponent decides to test that area.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Thank god this is getting focus.

This is so much twisting. If a fighter finishes a certain way, that doesn't show a lack of something else. It shows a strength. If you want to make the case for lack of ground game you'd have to show places where the fighter was in trouble due to lack of ability. These are essentially tangentially related facts that prove nothing. There have been MANY strikers over the years that dont rely on their ground game because they dont have to. And then everyone acts amazed that a top tier fighter isn't a slouch once some opponent decides to test that area.
I'll chime in when I can reread in detail and offer something up.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The MMA "media" is just flat out horrible across the board.

Brian J. D'Souza

Apr 3, 2015
B/R gave me complete editorial freedom to write about contract issues, pay, rankings, lack of retirement for fighters, etc. They are not shills and not really a good example of someone biased or under-performing in the media.

Also, some may be miffed that I wrote a five-part series criticizing the MMA media over a two-year period. Some are trying to stick me with a rap that all I do is criticize the MMA media, forgetting the dozens of other articles I wrote in 2014 on other important subjects. Some samples:

What's Next for Georges St-Pierre
MMA's Last Taboo: Sexual Abuse and the Sport's Silent Victims
Writers Who Became Fighters
Monday Memento: “Hitman” Dan Diaz Lawsuit Against Tapout Going to Trial - Cagepotato
Jon Fitch at the Crossroads: End of the Line as a UFC Contender | Bleacher Report
Frank Shamrock Talks Stark Realities Facing Former Fighters Like Chris Leben | Bleacher Report
Is Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano a Circus Fight or a Money Fight?
Selling Booze and Signing Boobs, Georges St-Pierre Is Enjoying His Retirement Responsibly - Cagepotato

I also did a number of video chats/roundtable discussions on other subjects; worked on film projects and many other writing projects unrelated to MMA.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
B/R gave me complete editorial freedom to write about contract issues, pay, rankings, lack of retirement for fighters, etc. They are not shills and not really a good example of someone biased or under-performing in the media.

Also, some may be miffed that I wrote a five-part series criticizing the MMA media over a two-year period. Some are trying to stick me with a rap that all I do is criticize the MMA media, forgetting the dozens of other articles I wrote in 2014 on other important subjects. Some samples:

Monday Memento: “Hitman” Dan Diaz Lawsuit Against Tapout Going to Trial - Cagepotato
Jon Fitch at the Crossroads: End of the Line as a UFC Contender | Bleacher Report
Frank Shamrock Talks Stark Realities Facing Former Fighters Like Chris Leben | Bleacher Report

I also did a number of video chats/roundtable discussions on other subjects; worked on film projects and many other writing projects unrelated to MMA.
Keep on keepin on brother. Change will never occur if people don't speak out.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
The MMA "media" is just flat out horrible across the board.
The mma media have some good guys, whom write mostly good articles. The main ones I pay attention to are Ben Fowkes, Luke Thomas, Jack Slack, Patrick Wyman, Brain D'Souza, Connor Ruebusch, Joss Gross and Chad Dundas.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Is Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano a Circus Fight or a Money Fight?
Selling Booze and Signing Boobs, Georges St-Pierre Is Enjoying His Retirement Responsibly - Cagepotato

Really enjoy your articles and very happy to have you come here and post

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Oh, I just wanted to add Chuck Mindenhall's name. I hadn't taken much notice of him before he wrote the article on Jason Thacker, but that article was probably the most well written article I've read by the MMA media, so he definitely has my attention now.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The mma media have some good guys, whom write mostly good articles. The main ones I pay attention to are Ben Fowkes, Luke Thomas, Jack Slack, Patrick Wyman, Brain D'Souza, Connor Ruebusch, Joss Gross and Chad Dundas.
Agree but those guys are unfortunately overshadowed by the bloggers and shills, that are controlled by Zuffa.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015