General Twitter: Tool of Tyranny?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCjx2ZBcXw4

Russell Brand breaks down an article by Matt Taibbi on the resignation of Dorsey and the way Trump exposed the vulnerability of the Elite.

Is twitter/social media a tool of tyranny? I remember when I got on Twitter first in 2008/2009, and it was an entirely different place. It does seem that once Trump exposed the vulnerability, the clamps starting coming on, and the direction of Twitter changed. Can twitter be saved, or will it have to be replaced? is it even possible for another startup to replace or compete with it, or has it just become One World Media?

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Nobody needs it. Just stop using it. Hence no tyranny.
/thread

On the same note it's pretty easy to realize such a service. No need to act as if Twitter is advanced technology, it's all but. Tho I kinda thought you had a grasp of this.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
/thread

On the same note it's pretty easy to realize such a service. No need to act as if Twitter is advanced technology, it's all but. Tho I kinda thought you had a grasp of this.
you think the Elite are going to let competition rise up?

the gov't will use "regulation" to set a bar that no startup will be able to meet without being prosecuted for 'hate speech' or 'disinformation'.

did you watch the video, read the article, or nah?

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
did you watch the video, read the article, or nah?
No, I also don't use twitter, but I can answer the question without it.

Its funny tho that "the elite" in such technologies simply wasn't there a couple of years ago.
Why didn't Walmart stop Amazon? Now Bezos is the big honcho.
Not saying there are no such cases, there surely are. But if "the elite" always had their way there wouldn't be anything like it to start with.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
No, I also don't use twitter, but I can answer the question without it.

Its funny tho that "the elite" in such technologies simply wasn't there a couple of years ago.
Why didn't Walmart stop Amazon? Now Bezos is the big honcho.
Not saying there are no such cases, there surely are. But if "the elite" always had their way there wouldn't be anything like it to start with.
the largess of the oligarchy means that it's not equipped to respond to with agility to sudden changes in society.

it's more like once something becomes useful, they use their wealth and connections to assimilate it in to 'the borg' of the oligarchy.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Oh, and why didn't the elite stop tiktok yet?
just watch the video or read the article. it'll facilitate the discussion.

EDIT- not being short, it'll just take me 15m to type out that explanation, but you could just watch the video in that time and answer it for yourself.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
just watch the video or read the article. it'll facilitate the discussion.

EDIT- not being short, it'll just take me 15m to type out that explanation, but you could just watch the video in that time and answer it for yourself.
Ya I won't, at least not now. Maybe somebody else has cliffs.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
It was always a tool to manipulate the people - when you see a hard punish by celebs and politicians to use a certain platform then typically it's a red flag.

Qat nailed it, just stop using it..

/thread

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
You can't unring a bell.
Isn't that literally what this thread is about?

Its also pretty much what the 5g China ban is. To unring the bell that is a Chinese company being the market and tech leader in that area.

To keep it in the tone of the thread: "you think the Elite cannot ban an app?"

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

Its also pretty much what the 5g China ban is. To unring the bell that is a Chinese company being the market and tech leader in that area.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Tiktok was hugely successful before anyone took notice. They made an extremely clumsy attempt to curb it. There was huge public backlash and here we are.

With 5g they shut China out before it was widely distributed.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

the elite don't see the danger of TikTok yet, neither do I but I'm fukn old.

the thing with Twitter/FB/YouTube is that in the 2016 election showed that the elite couldn't control candidate access and "electable" status with the MSM.

but don't doubt for second that FB or Twitter are part of the "New Boy Network" of social media that the oligarchy have commandeered.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about
That's fine, your blanket statement isn't helpful tho.

Tiktok was hugely successful before anyone took notice. They made an extremely clumsy attempt to curb it. There was huge public backlash and here we are.
So the tyranny failed then. Good answer to the thread.

With 5g they shut China out before it was widely distributed.
Huawei was already the market leader in that segment before 5g, the 5g ban on em is an attempt to unring that bell, perhaps.
Tho of course that is semantics on a - as I said - not very helpful blanket statement.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
That's fine, your blanket statement isn't helpful tho.

So the tyranny failed then. Good answer to the thread.

Huawei was already the market leader in that segment before 5g, the 5g ban on em is an attempt to unring that bell, perhaps.
Tho of course that is semantics on a - as I said - not very helpful blanket statement.
The tyranny did not fail, sir. The tyrany just doesn't look the way you thought it would.

Rewarding Huawei the 5G ban impacted different things than what they were most developing. Did EU ban Huawei?

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
the elite don't see the danger of TikTok yet, neither do I but I'm fukn old.
How do you know that? You sound like an insider here!

the thing with Twitter/FB/YouTube is that in the 2016 election showed that the elite couldn't control candidate access and "electable" status with the MSM.

but don't doubt for second that FB or Twitter are part of the "New Boy Network" of social media that the oligarchy have commandeered
Who even uses fb anymore apart from old people?
But imo there are a lot of alternatives for messaging n stuff, and also the shelve - life of these services might not be that great.
Coupled with the fact that any social media (forums included) tend to become toxic shitholes over time - unless the clamps do come on.

I honestly don't know whether any new laws were passed in your realm of something, but to your op it's still a pretty certain "nah" from me.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
it's more like once something becomes useful, they use their wealth and connections to assimilate it in to 'the borg' of the oligarchy.
Like Kodak did when they invented the first digital camera in the 1970s?

Or Nokia did when they dominated the cellphone market in the '90s?

??