Society Twitter refuses U.S. order to disclose user behind anti-Trump account

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Twitter Inc on Thursday refused to reveal the user behind an account opposed to President Donald Trump's tough immigration policies and said it was challenging the demand for records by the U.S. government in court, according to a lawsuit.

The lawsuit over the account @ALT_uscis, claimed to be run by at least one federal immigration employee, was filed in federal court in San Francisco, where Twitter is based. The acronym CIS refers to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and the account's description refers to itself as "immigration resistance."

Following Trump's inauguration in January, anonymous Twitter feeds voicing concerns at more than a dozen U.S. government agencies appeared to challenge the president's views on climate change and other issues. Trump has vowed to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico and has promised to deport millions of illegal immigrants.

"The rights of free speech afforded Twitter’s users and Twitter itself under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution include a right to disseminate such anonymous or pseudonymous political speech," Twitter said in the lawsuit.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, which is a defendant in the lawsuit, declined to comment on pending litigation. The Justice Department, which typically represents federal agencies in court, also declined to comment.

Esha Bhandari, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, which is representing the Twitter user in the case, said the government’s request was highly unusual. Requests for social media account information from the U.S. government typically involve a pressing national security or criminal matter, she said.

“We have seen no reason the government has given for seeking to unmask this speaker’s identity,” Bhandari said, adding that the right to anonymous speech against the government is “a bedrock American value” strongly protected under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Shortly after the lawsuit became public, @ALT_uscis tweeted a copy of the First Amendment and a picture of part of the lawsuit to its 45,000 followers, an increase of about 12,000 in a few hours.

Twitter said it received an administrative summons last month demanding that it provide records related to the account.

A copy of the summons filed with the lawsuit says the records are needed for an investigation to ensure compliance with duties, taxes and fines and other customs and immigration matters.

It was not immediately clear how the anonymous account fit into those laws and regulations.

The social media company has a history of challenging other government demands for information on its users, including a 2012 demand from New York prosecutors about an Occupy Wall Street protester. In that case, Twitter was forced to hand over tweets from the protester to a judge, and the protester pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.

Twitter sued the U.S. Department of Justice in 2014, seeking permission to publicly disclose more information about requests it gets from U.S. authorities for information about its users. The lawsuit was partly dismissed last year.

Among the lawyers representing Twitter in the latest case is Seth Waxman, a former high-ranking Justice Department official under President Bill Clinton.

(Reporting by David Ingram; Additional reporting by Dustin Volz and David Shepardson in Washington and Melissa Fares in New York; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Twitter refuses U.S. order to disclose user behind anti-Trump account

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
So twitter isn't gonna be a safe space for President Snowflake's feelings?

I hope he tweetstorms the shit out of twitter.... That'll show 'em.

Last edited:

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Twitter is about to get audited by the irs

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I don't agree at all with trying to leverage these companies into disclosing any user information. It's nobody's business including the President.

That being said, Lol at Twitter proclaiming free speech and the First amendment...

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I don't agree at all with trying to leverage these companies into disclosing any user information. It's nobody's business including the President.

That being said, Lol at Twitter proclaiming free speech and the First amendment...

The first amendment says the government shall make no law restricting the freedom of speech (among other things).

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
The first amendment says the government shall make no law restricting the freedom of speech (among other things).
Yeah I get that. I understand I didn't make an apples to apples comparison, it just hit me as a bit hypocritical. And as far as I've read, congress isn't trying to pass any laws trying to force twitter to disclose this information.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
, claimed to be run by at least one federal immigration employee
On the surface, can't see any reason if the account is just parody or commentary.

On the other, if you state that you are a federal employee, specific information could then change the game I would imagine.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
They should hire Susan rice to unmask the twitter account.since she has done nothing wrong in the eyes of the left there should be no problems

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
On the surface, can't see any reason if the account is just parody or commentary.

On the other, if you state that you are a federal employee, specific information could then change the game I would imagine.

Was any sensitive or classified info released on the account?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Twitter has its own problems I would gather. Will they run out of money first? Or will they head to the MySpace, AOL, etc. direction.

Then let's mention their support and platform for ISIS accounts, while having a much stricter approach to political opponents. And I think it was a year ago, when they decided to block accounts (Anonymous) that were actively working against ISIS accounts.

Twitter can do what they want I guess, and if you disagree with the way they operate, do not use them.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Twitter has its own problems I would gather. Will they run out of money first? Or will they head to the MySpace, AOL, etc. direction.

Then let's mention their support and platform for ISIS accounts, while having a much stricter approach to political opponents. And I think it was a year ago, when they decided to block accounts (Anonymous) that were actively working against ISIS accounts.

Twitter can do what they want I guess, and if you disagree with the way they operate, do not use them.
Support of ISIS accounts?

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Why isnt the alt-right calling Trump a special little snowflake for trying to shit all over people's right to freedom of speech.. and all this just because his feelings were hurt.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
How did they do that?
I have no technical insight in the matter. All I know it has been widely reported. And it is known they are biased. Anyways, I do not care about Twitter for many other reasons. It is where people come to yell in short sentences.