General Two US military bases in Iraq attacked

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
LOL America could never do such a thing. Oh, wait:

Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia

(I'm guessing many of you retards don't even know about this)

This is why wars aren't so great.
thanks for the link. As I recall, the main blame was on the captain, but it led me down a little bit of a rabbit hole regarding "Scenario Fulfillment" - very interesting to see it applied to situations other than the Vincennes.

SCENARIO FULFILLMENT – Gin and Tacos
Scenario Fulfillment: Why Should We Believe US on Location of Drone Shot Down By Iran?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Does this mean Iran gets to quit invoking it?
Will they send Ukraine a personal message and pay up like the USA did to them, Even as enemies?
Firstly, we don't actually know for sure that Iran shot the plane down. I'm not using that to evade - I think it's almost certainly what happened. But we should acknowledge that we aren't yet sure.

And of course they should do everything to compensate the families of the innocent victims. That goes without question.

There is a big difference between the two incidents if Iran did shoot the plane down, not that it matters to the dead. Accidentally shooting down a civilian airliner of a random country you're not in conflict with in your own airspace while you are in the middle of responding to a major attack and likely concerned about impending bombing (again, we don't know what happened), is obviously not quite the same as accidentally shooting down a civilian airliner of your enemy over enemy airspace after you've entered your enemy's territorial waters. It would be a false equivalence to say it's the same level of culpability - if Iran had shot down a Delta or American airlines flight off the coast of Florida, we'd be talking about the same thing.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
No. As per usual you're attempting to distract from a problem at hand with your ridiculous whataboutism digging up from 30 years ago like you're too cool for school. You're super progressive and hate America, we all get it.
So what came of America shooting that plane down? 290 dead?

Any retaliation from Iran or compensation to the victims?

I guess a precedent has been set for a scenario like this... Iran needs to man up and publicly accept responsibility if they are indeed at fault.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Does this mean Iran gets to quit invoking it?
Will they send Ukraine a personal message and pay up like the USA did to them, Even as enemies?
If that is the precedent that has been set, that is the minimum they should do.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
It'd be a good start, but the scenarios are quite a bit different.
Passenger planes shot down during a time of conflict... Seems to have numerous similarities.

Also some differences, one included citizens of the country possibly responsible, as well as, numerous foreigners from multiple countries not involved in the conflict.... and the discrepancy in the death count.

Definitely worth noting in a discussion on the topic, to state otherwise is just being disingenuous.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Passenger planes shot down during a time of conflict... Seems to have numerous similarities.

Also some differences, one included citizens of the country possibly responsible, as well as, numerous foreigners from multiple countries not involved in the conflict.... and the discrepancy in the death count.

Definitely worth noting in a discussion on the topic, to state otherwise is just being disingenuous.
i think the ways in which they're similar are less relevant than the ways they're dissimilar.

'you shot down one of our airliners' is lot different than 'we shot down one of our airliners'

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Trudeau says plane that crashed in Iran Wednesday morning, killing all 176 people aboard, was shot down by an Iranian missile

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

It was mostly foreigners from other countries, and a foreign airliner. They also knew what would be in their own airspace at the time they decided to fire off their missiles.

In the case of the Americans shooting down the Iranian plane, it was a case of mistaken identity.

Reagan showed remorse, where Iran tried to cover it up.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Let's also remember that there is a massive incentive for multiple reasons to blame Iran. Another Boeing 737 (yes, different model, but it's still a Boeing 737) going down on its own would be a massive problem for the company and of course there are geopolitical reasons too.

I would still bank on the Iranians being responsible but it would be sensible to avoid a conclusion without further evidence. Of course, intelligence is in very short supply around these parts, so I don't actually expect that to happen.