Tyron Woodley: Nate Diaz asked for ‘ridiculous’ amount to indirectly avoid fighting me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

One of the biggest might-have-beens in the UFC for 2017 was a rumored welterweight title fight between Tyron Woodley and Nate Diaz for UFC 219. But after the $15 million request from the Diaz camp and Dana White’s denial that negotiations even took place, the much- discussed matchup never really moved forward.

Woodley still sees the would-be fight as a missed opportunity. During a media scrum at UFC 218 over the weekend, the 170-pound champion shared his own thoughts on why the fight was not finalized.

“I think Nate didn’t really want the fight,” Woodley said. “It’s like saying ‘Would I fight Alistair Overeem?’ And I say ‘Yeah, I’ll fight him for $30 million.”

Tyron Woodley: Nate Diaz asked for ‘ridiculous’ amount to indirectly avoid fighting me

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Lets just ignore that he was asking for six figures to just answer the phone before this ridiculous fight was even rumored.

Hope he keeps asking for LW’s, sure one of them will give him the time of day.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Nah,I think it`s that Nate wants a ton of money for whoever he fights.He has fuck you money now & figures that if he is gonna fight that he gets paid big money if he does.

It`s fight and get paid bigtime or sit on the sidelines and be rich.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Because he would be handled like Rory did to him. He want none of Woodley. Not a good fight for him.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'm intrigued by this notion that a guy in a lower weight class coming off a loss, who has not fought in said champion's division in 6 years after suffering consecutive defeats can 'avoid' fighting the champion in that different weight class.

Is Francis Ngannou gonna call me out for avoiding him next?

What the fuck are cunts even talking about these days?

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
I'm intrigued by this notion that a guy in a lower weight class coming off a loss, who has not fought in said champion's division in 6 years after suffering consecutive defeats can 'avoid' fighting the champion in that different weight class.

This is a perfect post to represent what the fuck is going on right now

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
nate wants that conor rematch.he is going to sit out till the ufc offers it to him.he sat out before when they were paying him 20k/20k .he can sit out a lot longer now.if he comes back and gets manhandled or pinned down and humped by woodley then his conor rematch payday goes away.he would be stupid to take this fight unless it is for big bucks

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Isn't this the same amount he was asking in the potential diaz vs conor 3? He didn't up the amount. He knows he was fucked for a long time, and this is what he deems as his new rate of pay (at least on the demand side as a starting point for negotuations). He's fighting the bigger guy in a weight class that isn't for him. He's the draw, and it's for a belt.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Isn't this the same amount he was asking in the potential diaz vs conor 3? He didn't up the amount. He knows he was fucked for a long time, and this is what he deems as his new rate of pay (at least on the demand side as a starting point for negotuations). He's fighting the bigger guy in a weight class that isn't for him. He's the draw, and it's for a belt.
The new rate of pay to fight Conor.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015

I agree with this, and Woodley is a goof. Just to be a picky SOB though, wasn't Nate's second last fight at 170?

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
Exactly. Nate has turned into a diva. The Diaz boys used to fight anybody.
They did, then they got smart.

The Diaz boys don't owe MMA or MMA fans anything. They have been arguably two of the smartest and most financially successful fighters in the game. They built a brand and they reaped the rewards.

Look at how rarely they fight vs their lifetime earnings. Look at how little serious damage they've taken. Who can compare?

As much as I feel deprived for not seeing more of Nathan and especially Nick Diaz in the cage, I have nothing but admiration for what they have achieved for themselves.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Was this fight offered?

Was this fight offered?
I was being facetious.

Tyron is being ridiculous here though. Nate has no business at WW, we've seen him get smashed there before. Woodley making all these comments is an effort to profit off of Nate's drawing power and that's it. So of Tyron is doing all he can to get the biggest payday possible how is he gonna try and shit on Diaz for doing the same thing? Diaz bros have been fighting forever and if they say it's gonna take truck loads of cash for them to show that's their call, nothing to do with ducking. Tyron also says if he was in the same position to fight a bigger guy (Reem) then he'd also ask for tons of money so what's the issue?. Woodley should be looking for an exciting match in his own weight or one up if he wants to get some love. Constantly talking about a relatively inactive LW who seems to not care whether he fights or not is not a good use of time IMO.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Stupid fight for Nate anyway......wouldn’t garner that kind of attention/cash

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I was being facetious.
I know :)

And I also know that the fight in question has been offered. If WW is too much for Nate, I wonder why he took the McGregor fight in that division, and I also wonder why he just doesn't say that and simply refuse to fight at that weight again. It's just that the reasoning doesn't add up if you consider that.

Further more, as for Tyron being ridiculous for trying to fight Nate, you accuse Woodley of exactly what Nate is doing with Conor. It's just that Nate gets all the excuses in the world. Conor doesn't fight? what a disaster! Nate doesn't fight? He is sticking it to the man!

Nate is getting a title shot after being inactive for longer than Conor has and there's nothing but silence. No talk about undeserved title shots, no talk about money getting to his head, no talk about ducking fights. It's just very interesting to see that Diaz fans are exactly what they accuse Conor fans of doing. I am a Conor fan because it reminds me of the Diaz brothers, but then actually realizing his potential.

I don't like it equally when Conor or Nate is inactive. And dream of Nick ever fighting again.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The Diaz boys don't owe MMA or MMA fans anything. They have been arguably two of the smartest and most financially successful fighters in the game. They built a brand and they reaped the rewards.
But that is exactly what Conor has done as well. But people argue he should come and fight, why is that? The belt? Belts are history now, they are irrelevant.