UBER

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
How do the people differ where you live?

I originally used it in SE Virginia, now I've move to the north people are so unfriendly.

In Norfolk, you strike up a conversation immediately. Here, definitely 1 out of 10.

How do the people differ where you live?

I originally used it in SE Virginia, now I've move to the north people are so unfriendly.

In Norfolk, you strike up a conversation immediately. Here, definitely 1 out of 10.
What do you mean here?

Where?

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Perth, Australia. Pretty good, friendly. Foreigners mostly. Really chill and good at their jobs (which isn't hard, tbh)

Melbourne, Australia. Also pretty good and friendly. They're also mainly foreigners (especially Indians) but keep really clean cars and are good. I've had a handful of bad experiences though. One was a guy who didn't know wtf he was doing and took a shit way home. Another where the guy texted me "coming" and rocked up about 12 minutes later. It was 1 in the morning and I had work the next day.

The worst was just last week though. My partner was here for a while and we had dinner at a pub. We ordered an Uber afterwards to my place (II ALWAYS key in where we are and where I want to go when ordering a ride). The guy then rang me, asked where I was, where I was going, and then said he'd be there in "2 minutes". Nine minutes after that he was nowhere to be seen so I cancelled and got another one.

Uber charged me a fucking $10 cancellation fee. I complained via their website and ended up getting into a verbal argument with a customer affairs officer who kept just fucking reciting their cancellation policy.

I'm not even being biased in that story. The guy rang, said he'd be there in 2 minutes, literally 9 minutes went by and he still didn't show. That's exactly what happened and I still got pinged.

Still though, I've kept using and will continue to use Uber because they're overall pretty awesome. You can't let 1 or 2 bag ruin what is a really good thing/

M

member 3289

If you talk too much I give you a low passenger rating. South Florida has a big-city feel and I can't stand people who don't shut the fuck up. 90% of the passengers are quiet and look at their phones the whole time, which is good.

M

member 3289

Perth, Australia. Pretty good, friendly. Foreigners mostly. Really chill and good at their jobs (which isn't hard, tbh)

Melbourne, Australia. Also pretty good and friendly. They're also mainly foreigners (especially Indians) but keep really clean cars and are good. I've had a handful of bad experiences though. One was a guy who didn't know wtf he was doing and took a shit way home. Another where the guy texted me "coming" and rocked up about 12 minutes later. It was 1 in the morning and I had work the next day.

The worst was just last week though. My partner was here for a while and we had dinner at a pub. We ordered an Uber afterwards to my place (II ALWAYS key in where we are and where I want to go when ordering a ride). The guy then rang me, asked where I was, where I was going, and then said he'd be there in "2 minutes". Nine minutes after that he was nowhere to be seen so I cancelled and got another one.

Uber charged me a fucking $10 cancellation fee. I complained via their website and ended up getting into a verbal argument with a customer affairs officer who kept just fucking reciting their cancellation policy.

I'm not even being biased in that story. The guy rang, said he'd be there in 2 minutes, literally 9 minutes went by and he still didn't show. That's exactly what happened and I still got pinged.

Still though, I've kept using and will continue to use Uber because they're overall pretty awesome. You can't let 1 or 2 bag ruin what is a really good thing/
That's crazy. Can't you see where they are on the app in Australia? Here you can.

That happened to me one time when I requested Uber, only it was a $5 cancellation fee and I got it refunded without even talking to anybody (just selected "driver took longer than it said on screen" in the app).

I can understand the cancellation fee though. You get quite a few assholes who request uber for a friend or family member and then when we get to the pick-up location the person is nowhere to be found. Time is money so it helps that we get 75% of the cancellation fee, even if it is only $3.75 (our take, here in Florida at least).

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I never used UBER because it's illegal in the netherlands, but to be honest i don't really see a problem with waiting for 9 or 12 minutes, if you order a cab aren't you waiting a multiple of that 9 minutes usually.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
We got lucky with our taxi driver last night. He knew we were out bar hopping (everybody talks here), so he gave us his personal phone number. Every time we go ready to go to the next place, he was there within minutes. The last time I just texted him instead of calling. He texted me back and said he was already outside waiting. Lol

First attempt for a cab was a 30 min wait and no show. I suggested uber and my friends freaked out. They asked me, "are you trying to get us killed?" Lol

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
In Portland, the driver usually talks the whole time or has a game to play along the way.

M

member 3289

Mega price gouging here in NYC. I only use it as a last resort.
I've heard that in NYC it's cheaper for longer rides but more expensive than taxis for shorter rides.

Surge pricing is how drivers make money you cheap fuck.

CutmanMatt

MMA Hematologist
Jan 31, 2016
I usually just say "Hi" and maybe a cursory "Have you been busy today?" But other than that I don't want to talk to them and I assume they dont want to talk to me. I was starting to get some really shitty and sketchy drivers in the past few months, especially ones that you could tell they were smoking like chimneys in their car when they didnt have a passenger so I switched over to only using uber select. Now I feel fancy as fuck all the time.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I've heard that in NYC it's cheaper for longer rides but more expensive than taxis for shorter rides.

Surge pricing is how drivers make money you cheap fuck.
Lol normally I'd agree but the regular taxis don't surge so I really don't understand how Uber can. There was a lot of opposition to Uber here in NYC but most drivers I've spoken to like having the option and definitely like getting paid in advance rather than robbed.

M

member 3289

Lol normally I'd agree but the regular taxis don't surge so I really don't understand how Uber can. There was a lot of opposition to Uber here in NYC but most drivers I've spoken to like having the option and definitely like getting paid in advance rather than robbed.
Yeah but there is a limited number of taxis on the streets. Surge pricing is designed to get more Uber drivers (whose numbers are not fixed) out on the road when demand exceeds supply. Taxi drivers will just drive right by you when that happens (a complaint I've heard from NYC tourists down here, as I drive for Uber PT on the weekends).

M

member 3289

We got lucky with our taxi driver last night. He knew we were out bar hopping (everybody talks here), so he gave us his personal phone number. Every time we go ready to go to the next place, he was there within minutes. The last time I just texted him instead of calling. He texted me back and said he was already outside waiting. Lol

First attempt for a cab was a 30 min wait and no show. I suggested uber and my friends freaked out. They asked me, "are you trying to get us killed?" Lol
Small-town ignorance.

To become an Uber driver you have to pass local, state, and federal background checks, just like taxi drivers. But unlike taxis, Uber drivers are rated by their passengers, with really bad drivers taken off the road if their performance slips too low.

Have fun paying double/triple the price to ride in a cab that smells like shit.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Used Uber exclusively when I was out in Dallas last week and it was great. Airport to hotel, hotel to office, hotel to golf course, hotel to airport. Probably spent $120 total in the 3 days there, and didn't have to worry about tolls, parking, etc. Just sit back and ride. Drivers were all nice. If you wanted to converse, they were engaging. If not, they just drove. One was from Kenya, great guy - very nice. Another from India, also nice. Another from somewhere in the Middle East, also very nice.