UFC 187: Cormier vs. Johnson (Discussion Thread) - May 23, 2015

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Main card (PPV at 10 p.m. ET)
Anthony Johnson vs. Daniel Cormier
Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort
Donald Cerrone vs. John Makdessi
Travis Browne vs. Andrei Arlovski
Joseph Benavidez vs. John Moraga

Undercard (FOX Sports 1 at 8 p.m. ET)
John Dodson vs. Zach Makovsky
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Josh Burkman
Uriah Hall vs. Rafael Natal
Rose Namajunas vs. Nina Ansaroff

Undercard (UFC Fight Pass at 6:30 p.m. ET)
Mike Pyle vs. Colby Covington
Islam Makhachev vs. Leon Kuntz
Justin Scoggins vs. Josh Sampo

Last edited by a moderator:

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
Goddamn that is a solid ass card.

I won't say it's "stacked" since that term has already been rented inappropriately so many times in the past.

I think Jones is too much for him, too much length, too much leverage, too much technique. Johnson could clip him, but I can see Jones tapping him out in this one.

As for Weidman vs. Beflort, I think this is just a case of a young lion slaying an old one.

It's kind of interesting though, because both fights could find the underdog winning with a vicious KO, the type where the lights go completely out.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'd love to see Johnson knock Jones out. Buttttttt Jones has been head and shoulders above everyone else so I doubt it happens. Still gonna pull for Johnson though. I think the Chris takes this fairly easily.

I also don't think Khabib can best Cerrone, should he a really good fight but Cerrone has been on a tear and his time is now!

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
That Khabib/Cerrone fight could main event an FS1 card easily on its own. There's so much intrigue with this fight: the difference between their lifestyles outside the cage, the hyprocrisy of Khabib painting himself a holy man yet saying some of the most disrespectful shit ever, the momentum both fighters have heading into it, that's a bad-ass fight.

Still, I won't say "stacked". That word should be banned for like 5 years before anyone gets to use it again. ;)

Stephen J Rivers

Mar 14, 2015
minus Jones and Nurmagomedov this remains one of the biggest, deepest cards they will do all year. I'm interested in basically all of it from fight pass prelims upwards and the card has a bit of everything.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Been waiting for this for a long, long time.
Biggest May I can remember.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
i think DC is going to get a rough cut, with all that fat.
Probably but I dont see him missing weight.

It makes sense that it's much harder for a 125 lb man to lose weigh vs a 205 lb man. Cutting 5 lbs is 4% of bodyweight at flyweight vs only 2.4% at lhw.

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

Probably but I dont see him missing weight.

It makes sense that it's much harder for a 125 lb man to lose weigh vs a 205 lb man. Cutting 5 lbs is 4% of bodyweight at flyweight vs only 2.4% at lhw.
depends how much you're walking around in range