UFC 188's Eddie Alvarez on Gilbert Melendez: 'When I see him again, he won't say sh-t'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Eddie Alvarez

Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez have talked plenty about each other over the past four years.

Before, they did it from afar. Alvarez (25-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC), a former Bellator MMA lightweight champ, talked up a cross-promotional fight with Melendez (22-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC), a Strikeforce titleholder. It was an intriguing matchup to fans, and the fighters were willing. But, like so many great ideas in MMA, follow through was absent.

Now, there’s no more gap to negotiate. Both are UFC fighters, and the talk will become reality Saturday when they co-headline UFC 188’s pay-per-view main card at Mexico City Arena in Mexico. Maybe that’s why they had little to say on a press tour in support of card.

Of course, there are varying theories from the fighters.

Melendez, who earlier this year called to fight Alvarez at UFC 188, said there were “a couple awkward moments” when they faced off for photographers. After so many years of talking about each other, he recently told MMAjunkie Radio, some tension was in the air.

“I think he’s the kind of guy that if he says something, he knows I’m going to come after him,” he said. “And if I say something, it’d probably just be on from there.”

But to Alvarez, it was just another day. He said Melendez is filled with so many empty words.

Gilbert Melendez

“There wasn’t any tension,” he told MMAjunkie. “He didn’t say sh-t. He told the media that if he was in a room with me, he was going to say something or do something. He didn’t do sh-t. I looked him right in his face, and he didn’t so sh-t to me. And when I see him again, he won’t say sh-t to me.”

Alvarez, though, is clearly irked at Melendez, particularly when it relates to their history and a fight between them. The way he sees it, the ex-Strikeforce champ has avoided him because he’s been more concerned with his career than being the toughest guy out there.

“I never heard from Gilbert,” Alvarez said. “The only time I heard from Gilbert is when I did really good. So like, if I won a world title or defended a world title, then like a week later Gibert would say something to the media about how he wanted to fight me. He just made sure he would mention me so he could fill a headline.”

But since they’ve been booked, it’s been Alvarez dropping the clickbait. Earlier this year, he dropped a stink-bomb on his upcoming opponent, comparing him on Twitter to “a high school cheerleader, always trying to suck off the quarterback.”

Melendez noticed that one (though it now appears to be deleted). Still, he’s downplayed a rivalry between the two, casting Alvarez as an overly sensitive personality who’s taken offense where there was none.

UFC 188’s Eddie Alvarez on Gilbert Melendez: ‘When I see him again, he won’t say sh-t’ | MMAjunkie

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I've always been a fan of Eddie, hope he can find a way to beat Gil. Either way this fight has FOTY potential.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Looking forward to this one, more than Cain/Werdum. The weigh-in should be awesome as well.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Looking forward to this one, more than Cain/Werdum. The weigh-in should be awesome as well.
It's a better fight!
Tougher guys, both go for it 110%, both are fotn or YEAR guys, and it's loooong overdue!

DON'T TRY TO TELL ME WHAT THE MAIN EVENT IS!!!!!

AMIRIGHT?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I love how Eddie is known to get dropped in his fights to usually come back and keep going for the kill. Him and Gil are awesome at pushing the pace and doing the exact opposite of point fighting.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Im not ordering this PPV but i def am sad because i am a HUGE Eddie fan and i hope he knocks the brakes off Gil.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm gonna be at a wedding and miss this whole UFC. Urrrgghh!
Who schedules a wedding the same time as a UFC PPV? You need to prove a point here...set a precedence that this shit will not be tolerated.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I'm gonna be at a wedding and miss this whole UFC. Urrrgghh!
Who schedules a wedding the same time as a UFC PPV? You need to prove a point here...set a precedence that this shit will not be tolerated.
In all seriousness, what a fuc-ing mistake, c'mon man wake up as you can't make these kind of mistakes moving forward or you will be looked upon as "indifferent" to the sport............:)

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
if i had to go to a wedding i would have my phone propped up on the table streaming that shit

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Honestly as much as i want to see Eddie fight this card isnt worth it for me. I have no interest in Cain or Werdum. Now it this was Overeem then i would buy lol.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I missed the last two big ufcs for this dude.

His bachelor party was during belfort/weidman!