UFC 193 Rousey vs Holm: Live Discussion - 11/14/15

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Wow, fell asleep last night due to hunting the morning.... Looks like I'm eating g crow though. Congrats to Holm's, didn't think she could do it.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
how does the UFC hype Ronda now? Honest question.
Ronda will shed Edmund and get another camp. Then it will be she was too distracted, coach issues, she's fully focused now, better strategy(hard to have a worse one). It's doable, the masses love a redemption story. I wonder if they will sell Holm as a Clubber Lang type character.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ronda will shed Edmund and get another camp. Then it will be she was too distracted, coach issues, she's fully focused now, better strategy(hard to have a worse one). It's doable, the masses love a redemption story. I wonder if they will sell Holm as a Clubber Lang type character.
We missed you bro.

I wonder what sells more PPV's. The undefeated fighter who is embarrassing their competition like Ronda was before yesterday and Tyson pre Douglas? Or the comeback/rematch?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
We missed you bro.

I wonder what sells more PPV's. The undefeated fighter who is embarrassing their competition like Ronda was before yesterday and Tyson pre Douglas? Or the comeback/rematch?
I completely counted out Holm and didn't fancy staying up till 7am to watch a couple minute fight. You live and you learn.

As far as what does better, it depends, if people seriously think it was an aberration then rematches can do better, at least from memory, but most of the time they don't. It's usually reasonably close though. If there is a storyline to attract interest, like Jones vs Cormier 2 for instance, I expect that to do more than the first, then the rematch can do better.

Which could be possible for Rousey, she definitely has a large fan base, it isn't inconceivable they could buy a redemption story angle for the rematch. It wouldn't hurt if she has a movie come out in the lead up too.

She's fucked as massive draw if she losses, but that could rub onto Holm some. It depends how many are fans of Ronda and how many new MMA fans Ronda created. While it is unlikely, it is also possible that Holm becomes the new face of Women's MMA, since that was part of Ronda's appeal, breaking down boundaries, etc. I doubt it though, some people just have that x factor that appeals to people, and others don't.

Last edited:

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I completely counted out Holm and didn't fancy staying up till 7am to watch a couple minute fight. You live and you learn.

As far as what does better, it depends, if people seriously think it was an aberration then rematches can do better, at least from memory, but most of the time they don't. It's usually reasonably close though. If there is a storyline to attract interest, like Jones vs Cormier 2 for instance, I expect that to do more than the first, then the rematch can do better.

Which could definitely be possible for Rousey, she definitely has a large fan base, it isn't inconceivable they could buy a redemption story angle to the rematch. It wouldn't hurt if she has a movie come out in the lead up too.

She's fucked as massive draw if she losses, but that could rub onto Holm some. It depends how many are fans of Ronda and how new MMA fans Ronda created. While it is unlikely, it is also possible that Holm becomes the new face of Women's MMA, since that was part of Ronda's appeal, breaking down boundaries, etc. I doubt it though, some people just have that x factor that appeals to people, and others don't.
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how the UFC builds the story (assuming Ronda doesn't pull a Gina). There are so many possibilities in the Bantamweight division now, that I think it could be interesting with or without Ronda.

Miesha is my girl, but I don't like her against Holly because she is just too slow and stiff and will get her head taken off.

As far as the rematch buys, I don't know. At least Ronda gave the sport some new fans. Not all will stay, but some will.

I remember before Ronda started training, she had an online blog and said she was going to start training mma, slay every girl and become champ, then leave the sport for the sole purpose of bringing eyes to Olympic judo. I wish I could find that blog entry.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how the UFC builds the story (assuming Ronda doesn't pull a Gina). There are so many possibilities in the Bantamweight division now, that I think it could be interesting with or without Ronda.

Miesha is my girl, but I don't like her against Holly because she is just too slow and stiff and will get her head taken off.

As far as the rematch buys, I don't know. At least Ronda gave the sport some new fans. Not all will stay, but some will.

I remember before Ronda started training, she had an online blog and said she was going to start training mma, slay every girl and become champ, then leave the sport for the sole purpose of bringing eyes to Olympic judo. I wish I could find that blog entry.
I actually think Miesha would be able to take Holm down. She's got a power double and doesn't rely on the clinch for her takedowns like Rousey. She definitely won't be chasing Holm round the cage, running face first into punches.

I was expecting a more measured approach from Rousey, make Holm come to her and then the clinch is right there. Holm really rose to the occasion though.

Sep 27, 2015
I just got done reading the 1st n 2nd pages of this forum. Man my wife n i r pretty knowledgeable when it comes 2 mma n we r both Ronda fans. But when we(well more me)heard that Holmes was gona go against the champ we knew that she has a BIG BIG chance of winning and more than likely will. How could some of u people actually think that Holmes had no chance, to win a fight u have 2 be smart. And Holmes is a smart fighter and of course a very, very good fighter. I knew Holmes was gona take that belt how could u deny her talent Ronda and practically every mma fan totally totally underestimated Holmes. This big time reminds of the 1st weidman n anderson fight everybody had the spider winning it like nothing treating chris like any other opponent he has gone against. Everybody just didn't see or wasn't smart enough 2 see that he had a huge huge chance of winning just like Holly, there's alwayz some1 stronger than u(except if ur bruce lee)so just fight smart.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I just got done reading the 1st n 2nd pages of this forum. Man my wife n i r pretty knowledgeable when it comes 2 mma n we r both Ronda fans. But when we(well more me)heard that Holmes was gona go against the champ we knew that she has a BIG BIG chance of winning and more than likely will. How could some of u people actually think that Holmes had no chance, to win a fight u have 2 be smart. And Holmes is a smart fighter and of course a very, very good fighter. I knew Holmes was gona take that belt how could u deny her talent Ronda and practically every mma fan totally totally underestimated Holmes. This big time reminds of the 1st weidman n anderson fight everybody had the spider winning it like nothing treating chris like any other opponent he has gone against. Everybody just didn't see or wasn't smart enough 2 see that he had a huge huge chance of winning just like Holly, there's alwayz some1 stronger than u(except if ur bruce lee)so just fight smart.
Holm...

;)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
lol how'd that go for ya?
Not trying to be an ass but trying to figure out what the agenda is here? To go thru 60 something pages of a fight thread and critique posts that were wrong? There are 1600+ posts in here, so I'm sure you're going to find plenty wrong, including mine.

I'm on social media 12-14 hours a day, and damn near everyone was picking Rousey. Vegas had her nearly a 20-1 favorite at one time. It's not like our members were an anomaly.

Educate me on how this productive please.