UFC 205 Live Discussion - 11/12/16

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

Khabib may not actually be the best at 155 but he is the most frightening. If a dude can yell at you that you must stop while he's in the middle of riding you and punching your face in then he's a fucking scary dude that is harnessing some dark shit.
Lol!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Going matrix on stephen bonnar and forrest griffin isnt on the same level compared to Conors Aldo, Mendez, Eddie, Nate
Umm, Conor didn't dodge punches in any of those fights, and the only one where he didn't have a significant reach advantage he lost or won a very close decision.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Sure you can, if the UFC wants to be more than a drunk frat guys saturday night entertainment they are gonna have to either drop rankings(which mean nothing) or they are gonna have to stop picking and choosing to fit their dollar. Ive never heard of the MLB. NFL, NBA, MLS, Nascar or any other abbreviation change a matchup to fit their pocket? You think they would forego a team to add another in the super bowl? No until this corruption is fixed its always gonna be a saturday night drinking game.
LOL its like an NFL team would get to the Super bowl but NFL would give it to another team because they don't think small town market team will make enough money....Belts really mean nothing most of the time....Real fans know who is on top of the game at any given moment...credibility is not there and hasn't been for 4-5 years now

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Tyron and I left the hotel at the same time this morning, and then he was on my flight from JFK to Charlotte.
I was able to talk to Tyron Woodley in the Charlotte airport for a second without drawing attention to him or delaying him. Shook hands, said great fight even though I obviously wanted Stephen to win (I am wearing my Pitch Black Logo Polo shirt so that was probably obvious), looking forward to the rematch, and I hope he is successful in getting to fight in St. Louis and that he gets paid for his fights.

Nice guy, just like a friend of mine who was a locker room inspector at the Atlanta card and got to talk with him for a while there said.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Moral of the story is i think Conor has KOd or TKOd better competition.
Well, he didn't KO/TKO Nate. Eddie and Chad are good fighters, but they aren't exactly HOF material. In terms of legit top level all time guys Conor KO'ed on in Aldo, Anderson did the same to Vitor. Outside of that there really isn't even really a discussion. As much as I like Cage Warriors it would be laughable to try to compare it to the UFC or PRIDE.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Sure you can, if the UFC wants to be more than a drunk frat guys saturday night entertainment they are gonna have to either drop rankings(which mean nothing) or they are gonna have to stop picking and choosing to fit their dollar. Ive never heard of the MLB. NFL, NBA, MLS, Nascar or any other abbreviation change a matchup to fit their pocket? You think they would forego a team to add another in the super bowl? No until this corruption is fixed its always gonna be a saturday night drinking game.
You named a bunch of team sports, but nearly every individual sport does it. Look up Michelle Wie. Played on the PGA tour because she was young, good and good looking. Typically got smoked and never won. Can you really say Conor doesn't deserve the shot he's given if he won? He's the biggest star in the sport AND he's good enough to win titles in two weight classes. One of these days you're gonna be bummed you covered your eyes and cried during his whole historic run.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
u know he fought last night also, right? he looked really good against m.j.
Yes I do lol I'm a huge Khabib fan. He got hit a lot early and I was worried he would lose, but his grappling is on another level. The guy I replied to was insinuating that Khabib should have fought Eddie in place of Conor last night, so we can't take the Johnson fight into consideration.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
I'd have to see the rankings of the time to determine that. I seem to recall there being quite a few more people being deserving at the time. It was also only a #1 contender fight for Conor.
Find one who deserved it more and I'm all ears. We are working with a guy who was champ for 10 years. Cleaned the division. There was nobody left.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Find one who deserved it more and I'm all ears. We are working with a guy who was champ for 10 years. Cleaned the division. There was nobody left.
You realize he was ranked 6th at the time and had defeated Brandao, Poirier and Siver in order to be given a shot, right? It's honestly laughable how delusional Conor fans are about his accomplishments. He's definitely a very, very talented fighter but you'd have to be intentionally ignoring the common denominators between his wins to be missing them.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
You realize he was ranked 6th at the time and had defeated Brandao, Poirier and Siver in order to be given a shot, right? It's honestly laughable how delusional Conor fans are about his accomplishments. He's definitely a very, very talented fighter but you'd have to be intentionally ignoring the common denominators between his wins to be missing them.
who deserved it more? I told you I'm all ears. You're projecting a delusion onto me that doesn't exist. Also, who is your favorite fighter? Just curious. Mine isn't Conor, btw.. I just get annoyed at those who will hate him no matter what he does. Mma fan hipsterdom us rampant amongst the hardcores.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
who deserved it more? I told you I'm all ears.
At the time Frankie deserved a rematch more than the #6 ranked fighter deserved a first go round.

Also, who is your favorite fighter?
My favorites aren't. If I had a gun to my head I'd probably say Cowboy.

I just get annoyed at those who will hate him no matter what he does.
I've said before he's a great talent. I've even said that I really want to like him. The problem is he's being sold on qualities that simply aren't there. I wouldn't call anyone in the UFC an "easy fight" but he is being allowed to pick matchups that he knows will favor him. The one fight I can think of where he didn't he was still able to dictate the terms of everything surrounding that matchup which came him a huge advantage when the cage door closed.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
At the time Frankie deserved a rematch more than the #6 ranked fighter deserved a first go round.

My favorites aren't. If I had a gun to my head I'd probably say Cowboy.

I've said before he's a great talent. I've even said that I really want to like him. The problem is he's being sold on qualities that simply aren't there. I wouldn't call anyone in the UFC an "easy fight" but he is being allowed to pick matchups that he knows will favor him. The one fight I can think of where he didn't he was still able to dictate the terms of everything surrounding that matchup which came him a huge advantage when the cage door closed.
I just looked and Frankie could definitely have had a case for that fight, but honestly that's not very egregious at all in my opinion. You left out beating Max Holloway with a torn ACL, by the way. It really isn't very atypical for a guy at 6 or even further from the top to get a shot, especially when the champ has beaten everybody already. Plus, most of the time it's done it has nothing to do with money. It's usually a convenience thing or to push a younger fighter when there's no clear next one left because the champ is killing everyone. Conor did get pushed because if his marketability, but I don't know how much people would be complaining if it were another fighter.

Cowboy is a good pick. Always ready to fight, fights frequently at multiple weight classes and never pulls out or misses weight. Sounds eerily familiar.

And I'll admit he has been smart with his booking, but what question hasn't he answered yet? His TDD has been proven to be underrated, his power is as advertised, he out-boxes everybody. Maybe cardio, I guess.. but I mean the guy has beaten some great fighters and the two champs that he fought (Aldo and Alvarez) were two of his easiest fights. I get your beef when guys are getting passed up though, and I hope he vacates the 145 belt if his next fight isn't there, I just think his is a ride worth enjoying as a fan of the sport.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I just think his is a ride worth enjoying as a fan of the sport.
I am enjoying it. My 2 biggest beefs with Conor (and the UFC marketing machine) are 1) Scripted promos 2) That he isn't taking/ being given the best available fights.

People now look back on Fedor and Anderson's careers and say "Yeah, but they fought a lot of low level fighters and favorable matchups" With Conor we're watching it happen, calling the UFC (and his supporters) on it, and being told "No, no. He's the greatest and everyone he fights is the most dangerous fighter ever." With Fedor, GSP, Anderson, and to a lesser extent JBJ whether the opposing fighters favored them or not we knew they were simply going to fight the next in line. Conor on numerous occasions has avoided fights that didn't physically, or stylistically favor him. Eddie was bang on when he said Conor hand picked his opponents, as someone else said he just didn't realize he was among that group.

As far as I'm concerned his TDD is still a question mark, as is his power. It's not as if Eddie was known for an iron chin going into last night. He's got a stiff left and great ability to control distance that's certainly no secret. We still don't know much about him outside of that.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
I am enjoying it. My 2 biggest beefs with Conor (and the UFC marketing machine) are 1) Scripted promos 2) That he isn't taking/ being given the best available fights.

People now look back on Fedor and Anderson's careers and say "Yeah, but they fought a lot of low level fighters and favorable matchups" With Conor we're watching it happen, calling the UFC (and his supporters) on it, and being told "No, no. He's the greatest and everyone he fights is the most dangerous fighter ever." With Fedor, GSP, Anderson, and to a lesser extent JBJ whether the opposing fighters favored them or not we knew they were simply going to fight the next in line. Conor on numerous occasions has avoided fights that didn't physically, or stylistically favor him. Eddie was bang on when he said Conor hand picked his opponents, as someone else said he just didn't realize he was among that group.

As far as I'm concerned his TDD is still a question mark, as is his power. It's not as if Eddie was known for an iron chin going into last night. He's got a stiff left and great ability to control distance that's certainly no secret. We still don't know much about him outside of that.
You know, a lot of that I can't really argue with. He has picked his opponents. I think he's done it wisely but I can't really fault you having an issue with it and I don't wanna pretend it doesn't happen. We obviously disagree on certain things but I can't say you aren't using logic.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
HOLY SHIT!!!!!

I was away this weekend shacked up in a hotel and had 12 hours shifts in some shithole.
I just got to see 2 great fucking sports events, i fucking loved this 205 card.
Man Conor is a cyborg, i really thought he would get rassled the fuck to the ground and slowly get his head bashed in, but this was a cyborg fighting a human he maybe ate 3 to 5 shots at most, and that left hand found Eddie's chin almost every single time.
Woodley should've gotten the nudge in my opinion, he wobbled and knocked wonderboy enough times to get a nudge in my book.

After that i watched the formula 1 race, and Max Verstappen got on the podium after a monsoon struck that fucking race, fought his way up from 16th place to the podium and was 2 sec quicker than everybody in an almost no vicibility race.

What a weekend of sports i missed, will be making a better schedule in the future.