UFC 243 Live Discussion - 10/5/19

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Like I said, poor stylistic matchup for B-nux.

And the gameplan was, not good.
He should've applied 1/2 that pressure, took his shots at the lead leg as 1/4 of attack time,switched it up and feinted often with moves he never tried but Izzy knew existed, and baited a counter.
That was his best chance if he didn't want to learn championship level wrestling this year.

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
I don't think so. It looked more like he was trying to emulate the success Gastelum had as the smaller guy
Gastelum pressured Israel but wasn't as aggressive as Robert was

Robert was winging everything and leaving himself open for counters all day

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Robbie Hart @Ricky Bobby

Wake up out of your drunken slumber... Your boy Al is getting starched
He got dealt with, but he’s a man and will be back.......can’t win them all, but not many step in late to fight someone at the level of khabib so I know my boy will be coming to a theatre near you soon enough

M

member 3289

Full card highlights

Edit - video got got by Zuffa. Will repost when another vid becomes available

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Looking back at the main event, it was chess vs checkers in terms of technique. Israel is simply a better martial artist, so I give Robert a lot of credit for trying to make it ugly in the hopes a wild shot would land and change the trajectory of the fight. At the time, I was lost in the action, but in retrospect, Style Bender took some big shots in an effort to land his own. He is going to be even more superior to Costa in terms of striking, speed, and angles, but I don’t think he would be able to stay standing (or awake) if Costa were to land those same shots. Hopefully he takes a more measured approach.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Gastelum pressured Israel but wasn't as aggressive as Robert was

Robert was winging everything and leaving himself open for counters all day
Whittaker looked like shit. Charging in constantly and never threatening to use a comparative strength against an opponent's weakness (wrestling). Terrible gameplan.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
"Hey you cunts, let me begin by acknowledging that there are of course no expectations of you whatsoever so my question may be a surprise, given the many retards of the MMA fanbase you have to deal with. MMA is obviously driven by selling sex and violence to mouth breathing bottom feeders and you are as important as any of the empty vessels wasting oxygen that BLAF runs through his meat grinder. But surely there is some truth in the arguments that ring girls have agency and as grown women should be able to make their own decisions in a truly free Australian society, unlike those puritan retard Yanks. What say you, dipshits? Are you retarded because it sells well to the Bogans paying for a decade in the limelight, until you are spit out and replaced with another soulless waste of skin? Or are you just retarded because everyone else is retarded too?" - Sheepdog @lordofthepies talking to the ring girls, probably
This is pretty good, but I think you made me sound too intelligent.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Sheepdog @lordofthepies is there front row. I'm sure he's expressing happiness about it, as he is wont to do.
It filled up heavily towards the back end. Obviously arenas always fill up as the prelims progress but there was a massive discrepancy for this card. A lot of people were smart enough not to bother with the undercard.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I was assuming those three Foster's you drank would have ramped your IQ up for a few hours.
You might have seen me post this before and are taking the piss, but nobody drinks Fosters here. That's not a prententious statement about it not being a cool drink - literally no bars sell it and you won't even find it at many liquor stores. It's an export beer.

Beer is very regional here. Even within Tasmania, the south drinks one beer and the north drinks another. There's not really a Budweiser equivalent. The iconic bogan beer is probably VB (which I do actually like).

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
Whittaker looked like shit. Charging in constantly and never threatening to use a comparative strength against an opponent's weakness (wrestling). Terrible gameplan.
yup, i think israel got to him mentally before the fight

robert came out so emotional and ready to kill israel, robert pressures fighters but he's not reckless, he has never been that reckless in any of his other fights

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
yup, i think israel got to him mentally before the fight

robert came out so emotional and ready to kill israel, robert pressures fighters but he's not reckless, he has never been that reckless in any of his other fights
I think we now know that simply Whittaker isn't that good of a striker. He has built his career off outstriking grapplers but has been exposed by the two elite strikers he has fought. People think of him as a striker, when in reality his main MMA asset is actually his (defensive) wrestling.

So he's essentially Chuck Liddell 2.0. And he should learn from Chuck - Chuck would actually use his his wrestling sometimes when being outstruck (the Pele and Overeem fights, for example).

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
I think we now know that simply Whittaker isn't that good of a striker. He has built his career off outstriking grapplers but has been exposed by the two elite strikers he has fought. People think of him as a striker, when in reality his main MMA asset is actually his (defensive) wrestling.

So he's essentially Chuck Liddell 2.0. And he should learn from Chuck - Chuck would actually use his his wrestling sometimes when being outstruck (the Pele and Overeem fights, for example).
Yea I would say he definitely is a good striker and a dangerous striker, but he's not elite like prime Wonderboy or adesanya.

What made him good was his speed and his grappling defense in combination with his good striking.

But even then, he could have went for takedowns, at least fake takedowns, he could have not been so reckless, he could have fought smarter overall.

Adesanya could probably have still won anyway.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Yea I would say he definitely is a good striker and a dangerous striker, but he's not elite like prime Wonderboy or adesanya.

What made him good was his speed and his grappling defense in combination with his good striking.

But even then, he could have went for takedowns, at least fake takedowns, he could have not been so reckless, he could have fought smarter overall.

Adesanya could probably have still won anyway.
Agreed. It's not like we can know that his TD attempts would have been successful but he could have at least tried. MMA coaching is bafflingly amateur sometimes.

From day 1, Whittakers coaches should have been saying "this guy is a kickboxing champ and wrestling is his weakness. Our plan B is to outstrike him, but plan A is to get him to the ground and establish the threat of the takedown." Instead they went straight to plan B.