UFC 246 Live Discussion - 1/18/20

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
That was one of the worst UFCs of all time. Sheepdog @CreativeClassMauler you were right.
It's genuinely hard to tell if you're being serious or not because a lot are claiming to like it. And it was far from the worst card ever in terms of action, even if it still sucked. So I will explain for other people even if you agree with me.

It's the sheer meaninglessness of the whole thing that made it the worst ever card. There's never been a PPV with such little intrigue, such little on the line (from a competitive/rankings standpoint) and so few divisional consequences. There's a select few that have come close, but this was the ultimate in throwing 65 bucks down a drain.

People are acting as if Conor starching Cowboy someone made the card good.

On what planet is the sacrificial lamb in a tune-up fight not even landing a strike a justification of it being a legit PPV headliner? It's the opposite. The outcome was a complete vindication of what haters like me had said.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Main card should be meaningful fights; both Ronda and Bethe were undefeated, 11-0 vs 9-0. Many in the community were calling Ronda the greatest ever, best pound for pound, could beat half the male roster, once Ina lifetime athlete etc. So that fight was actually huge and a lot more meaningful than a washed up Cerrone and Conor who have been struggling to get a win in years.
If you want purely entertainment factors for your main card, there wouldn't be a single women's fight on the main card and events would be headlined with cm Punk vs Floyd and the like.
You think CM Punk is entertaining?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
It's genuinely hard to tell if you're being serious or not because a lot are claiming to like it. And it was far from the worst card ever in terms of action, even if it still sucked. So I will explain for other people even if you agree with me.

It's the sheer meaninglessness of the whole thing that made it the worst ever card. There's never been a PPV with such little intrigue, such little on the line (from a competitive/rankings standpoint) and so few divisional consequences. There's a select few that have come close, but this was the ultimate in throwing 65 bucks down a drain.

People are acting as if Conor starching Cowboy someone made the card good.

On what planet is the sacrificial lamb in a tune-up fight not even landing a strike a justification of it being a legit PPV headliner? It's the opposite. The outcome was a complete vindication of what haters like me had said.
I was genuinely agreeing Encyclopedia Brown.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Worst pre fight body language in recent memory

counting the seconds to the crumble

Ninja

Oct 31, 2016
SMH at people saying it was a "stunning upset" when veteran ass-kicker and name-taker Roxanne Modafferi beat up the little girl who's been busting tomato cans.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
SMH at people saying it was a "stunning upset" when veteran ass-kicker and name-taker Roxanne Modafferi beat up the little girl who's been busting tomato cans.
It was only stunning in the fact that Roxy was completely in control and dominant even before the injury. She was making Maycee look like she had never even trained.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
wow some of these diving comments on sherdog are hilarious, I'll share some (below)

no need for a fucking shoop, here's a cowboy with a fucking screwdriver ready to fix a fight

And here's a cowboy taking a fucking dive

Here's another one

Cowboy's walkout shirt

Meanwhile in Cabo

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
and no I don't have a sherdog account, I was just checking the froot shoop competition thread, I donated $15 to the prize fund for the artists and I'll be entering in spirit only, got 2 days and 10 hrs to finish my masterpiece, started it after the fight :)

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Conor also should have been taken down off that missed left , he over extended big time , suprised Cowboy didn't get his body lock takedown.
Yup.

"I just want to give the fans an exciting fight .... I know I probably should take him down, but I won't."

Derp.

That was a gimme takedown. Could've wound up in a Khabib position, but no....

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Cowboy's loss had a reverse effect of Conor / Aldo. Conor was fuckin with Aldo's head entire time where Aldo came out charging and got caught with that left. Not that it was planned but Conor and Cowboys were being close to butt-buddies and got Cowboy all laxadaisical, he maybe thought was going to meet in the middle and gradually get into a dog fight, instead Conor came out flying

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Yup.

"I just want to give the fans an exciting fight .... I know I probably should take him down, but I won't."

Derp.

That was a gimme takedown. Could've wound up in a Khabib position, but no....
He looked like he was going to duck under and shoot, but he came up into the clinch after he ran into Conors knee.

I don't know if he made a decision in the heat of it to not go for the trip but it did look on.

That said Cowboy got bum rushed, Conor came at him hard and dirty, thats the blueprint and he executed it better than Cowboys last 2 opponents.

I am suprised he landed the head kick though, Cerrone looked like he thought it was going low, odd too it wasn't well disguised, he must have been rattled from the shoulder strikes and hitting Conors knee when he ducked under.

The man wasn't there to prove anything or fight with any fire though, it seemed to me he was happy to be there, sad really, another over the hill fighter that was put through the ringer that is MMA, delighted to be sacrificed for the UFCs golden goose.

That whole event left a bad smell in the air

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Alexey makes very skilled grapplers look like they could use a lesson...that is some slick shit man.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
He looked like he was going to duck under and shoot, but he came up into the clinch after he ran into Conors knee.

I don't know if he made a decision in the heat of it to not go for the trip but it did look on.

That said Cowboy got bum rushed, Conor came at him hard and dirty, thats the blueprint and he executed it better than Cowboys last 2 opponents.

I am suprised he landed the head kick though, Cerrone looked like he thought it was going low, odd too it wasn't well disguised, he must have been rattled from the shoulder strikes and hitting Conors knee when he ducked under.

The man wasn't there to prove anything or fight with any fire though, it seemed to me he was happy to be there, sad really, another over the hill fighter that was put through the ringer that is MMA, delighted to be sacrificed for the UFCs golden goose.

That whole event left a bad smell in the air
I think the Knee is the Key
that was when he got rocked sadly...then a quick downhill from that moment