UFC 251- Usman vs Street Jesus - Live Discussion- July 11th

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Added to Calendar: 07-11-20

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
So, I’m going to be away at a lake in the mountains with no cell service during this event. I was wondering if you guys would be willing to hold off on watching until I get back the following week. I really like our fight night discussions and don’t want to miss out. Thanks in advance for your flexibility!

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'm not sure if you're currently sleeping with Jorge Masvidal's Bay of Pigs widow grandmother or not because your hostility towards this fight makes no sense. Burns is clearly the number 1 contender at 170.

Is beating Askren and Diaz in your last two fights more worthy of a title shot than beating the fuck out of Maia and Woodley? Is being 3-2 in your last 5, including losing to Maia, more deserving than being 5-0?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
that is a pretty decent card
last 3 fights are great

for female fights I guess those other two aren't bad either...PVZ with the thighs and booty and the other gals can fight pretty good

Hope they throw some bigger fighters(LHW HW MW) on the undercard

Last edited:
M

member 3289

I'm not sure if you're currently sleeping with Jorge Masvidal's Bay of Pigs widow grandmother or not because your hostility towards this fight makes no sense. Burns is clearly the number 1 contender at 170.

Is beating Askren and Diaz in your last two fights more worthy of a title shot than beating the fuck out of Maia and Woodley? Is being 3-2 in your last 5, including losing to Maia, more deserving than being 5-0?
Masvidal knocked out Darren Till and had the fastest KO ever against Ben Askren. Ok Nate Diaz isn't a big win rankings-wise but it was a huge fight in terms of promotion. And Masvidal beat the fuck out of him.

Gilbert Burns has one good win, two ok wins, and two wins over nobodies. He literally became a top contender like two months ago. He really wasn't taken seriously before that. Nearly two years ago he got run out of the lightweight division after getting knocked out in 2 minutes.

And the UFC had something with Masvidal vs Usman. There was legit beef. There was the "grappler vs striker" intrigue. There was the potential showdown with ex-teammate Colby Covington if Masvidal had won.

Usman is a boring champion who couldn't sell a covid vaccine to a Floridian. His opponent, shockingly, is even less charismatic.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Masvidal knocked out Darren Till and had the fastest KO ever against Ben Askren. Ok Nate Diaz isn't a big win rankings-wise but it was a huge fight in terms of promotion. And Masvidal beat the fuck out of him.

Gilbert Burns has one good win, two ok wins, and two wins over nobodies. He literally became a top contender like two months ago. He really wasn't taken seriously before that. Nearly two years ago he got run out of the lightweight division after getting knocked out in 2 minutes.

And the UFC had something with Masvidal vs Usman. There was legit beef. There was the "grappler vs striker" intrigue. There was the potential showdown with ex-teammate Colby Covington if Masvidal had won.

Usman is a boring champion who couldn't sell a covid vaccine to a Floridian. His opponent, shockingly, is even less charismatic.
So Masvidal's KO win over Askren is worth more than Burns' KO win over a guy who beat Askren and Masvidal? And yes, Till is a good win. It is just not as good a win as Woodley - who, funnily enough, KOd Till.

Burns beat the guys who beat Masvidal's best wins and Masvidal himself. That makes his wins better. This is pretty simple stuff to comprehend.

Your logic of 'he only became a contender recently' is also silly. By this line of thinking, anyone who emerges as a contender at any given point in time is the number 1 contender in perpetuity, no matter what happens afterwards.

I think you have spent too much time at Florida covid bug chasing parties - seemingly Cuban-themed bug chasing parties. I am going to breach lockdown to share your thoughts with some poors to convince them of the neurological damage that covid can do. Hopefully this will convince them to stay inside and socially distance, except of course from their wives, who they will no doubt be beating mercilessly because the pubs are closed.

M

member 3289

So Masvidal's KO win over Askren is worth more than Burns' KO win over a guy who beat Askren and Masvidal?
Definitely wasn't the same Maia as the one that beat Masvidal 3 years prior. I think the Masvidal of today beats the version of Maia that Burns beat, but that's a moot point.

And my argument is less merit-based than it is based on showmanship. Burns probably has a better argument for why he's the #1 contender, but Usman vs. Masvidal was the fight we were supposed to get. It's the way more exciting and intriguing fight. Burns vs Usman just seems like a cheap (no pun intended) replacement.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Definitely wasn't the same Maia as the one that beat Masvidal 3 years prior. I think the Masvidal of today beats the version of Maia that Burns beat, but that's a moot point.

And my argument is less merit-based than it is based on showmanship. Burns probably has a better argument for why he's the #1 contender, but Usman vs. Masvidal was the fight we were supposed to get. It's the way more exciting and intriguing fight. Burns vs Usman just seems like a cheap (no pun intended) replacement.
Maia was on a 3-fight win streak and looked good at the start of the Burns fight. It was only 5 months after Maia choked out the guy you think beating gets you a title shot.

And lets not be silly about Masvidal-Usman being more 'intriguing'. Masvidal is only one missed hail Mary flying knee away from being taken down at will. Burns is not only the more meritorious fighter, he has far more ways of being competitive. He can cause problems off his back, he can cause problems on the feet, and the Woodley fight showed that he can cause problems for Usman in wrestling. Jorge can only do one of those three things.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Burns is an unknown for sure

but I wouldn't wanna fight that guy right now

very active and fearless in his fights

M

member 3289

Masvidal is only one missed hail Mary flying knee away from being taken down at will.
Have to disagree here. Masvidal would've won that fight regardless. Ben Askren is just honestly not a top 5 fighter in the UFC.

Burns is not only the more meritorious fighter, he has far more ways of being competitive. He can cause problems off his back, he can cause problems on the feet, and the Woodley fight showed that he can cause problems for Usman in wrestling. Jorge can only do one of those three things.
We have a boring champion with no charisma. Regardless who wins we'll have a boring champion with no charisma. Masvidal as champ, even if his chances of beating Usman are lower than those of Burns, is just way more exciting for the division.

Aldo vs. Yan is a more deserving bantamweight title fight, but you'd be lying if you told me you wouldn't rather watch Garbrandt vs O'Malley.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I love me some Masvidal

He has some pretty high level skills and experience + composure
Mental Game is at an all time high for him also

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Really tough fights to pick
Bovada Odds
Burns +190 vs Usman -240
Max +155 vs Volkanovski -190
Petr Yan -230 vs Jose Aldo +180

oezdemir and a bunch of other bad mofos also fight on this card

• Volkan Oezdemir -160 vs. Jiří Procházka +135 -- Light heavyweights
  • Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos -115 vs. Muslim Salikhov -105 -- Welterweights
  • Makwan Amirkhani -195 vs. Dan Henry +165 -- Featherweights
  • Leonardo Santos -190 vs. Roman Bogatov +160 -- Lightweights
  • Marcin Tybura -115 vs. Alexander Romanov -105 -- Heavyweights
  • Raulian Paiva -195 vs. Zhalgas Zhumagulov +165 -- Flyweights
  • Karol Rosa -210 vs. Vanessa Melo +175 -- Women's bantamweights
  • Martin Day -175 vs. Davey Grant +150 -- Bantamweights
UFC 251 info
  • Date: July 11
  • Start time: 10 p.m. ET (Main card)
  • How to watch: ESPN+ PPV

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
So, I’m going to be away at a lake in the mountains with no cell service during this event. I was wondering if you guys would be willing to hold off on watching until I get back the following week. I really like our fight night discussions and don’t want to miss out. Thanks in advance for your flexibility!
No problem
I’ll wait and we can have a conversation here, just let me know when you want to do that

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Burns looks to be out
caught a bad covid test result

Would love if Usman would accept short notice opponent...if only to showcase his skillset and dominate

IMO UFC should have 2 guys per weight class that they are in contact with before these fights for short replacement
Pay them a lil stack to "be ready" to get close to weight and fight

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Burns looks to be out
caught a bad covid test result

Would love if Usman would accept short notice opponent...if only to showcase his skillset and dominate

IMO UFC should have 2 guys per weight class that they are in contact with before these fights for short replacement
Pay them a lil stack to "be ready" to get close to weight and fight
I wonder if Masvidal just got the leveraging power he needed to get paid what he thinks he is worth?