UFC can't sell Chicago fans on Dillashaw vs. Barao 2

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

We're just 4 days away from UFC on FOX 16 at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. The card features the bantamweight championship rematch between T.J. Dillashaw and Renan Barao, which headlined UFC 173 last May, and also has a #1 contender co-main event between Miesha Tate and Jessica Eye. On paper, this is a pretty good and potentially very exciting network television card, but ticket sales in the "Windy City" have been ... well ... they're not blowing anyone away.

As of about 7 PM ET on Tuesday, these are the available seats at the United Center per TicketMaster's website. The blue dots are unsold seats and the pink-ish ones are resales.

Looks like there's a lot of selling to be done. Current prices on TicketMaster are going for as low as $40, which is basically for the top bowl of seats, while the most expensive ones are as high as $650 for floor seats near where the fighters would walk out. Regardless, don't expect anything close to a sellout this Saturday.

LINK to full story: UFC can't sell Chicago fans on Dillashaw vs. Barao 2 - Bloody Elbow

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
Saturation. These little guys don't sell as well as a big heavyweight match. We all know this.

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
MMA is not hardcore enough for Chicago.

Watch the UFC or smoke a blunt and listen to the police scanner, betting on the number of deaths on a Saturday night.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's a decent card, still think tate shouldn't be Co main event if you got Lauzon vs gomi Barboza, miller, and Saunders on that card

Apr 3, 2015
did anyone really think the UFC was selling out all these places over the last 5 years of hype?

no.

thats why they are "expanding". it has nothing to do with gaining other markets, and everything to do with them not making anything here in NA.

they have to do shows in po-dunk city to get the live gates they are expecting...do you really think they can show their faces anywhere outside of montreal again??? and that is one of their biggest markets (canada)

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
It's a decent card, still think tate shouldn't be Co main event if you got Lauzon vs gomi Barboza, miller, and Saunders on that card
Plus, Saunders is fighting my hometown boy, Kenny Robertson - who is sorta local to Chicago. I want to go, but can't make it this weekend. :(

Apr 3, 2015
who in their right mind wants to pay for their shit anymore?

its into the area of morality at this point. do you have enough integrity to say no to the tyrant organization that controls your passion.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
40 bucks? that shit should be full
As low as $40, but anywhere from $40-$100 seems fair for general seating. $650 cage side for that card is pretty ridiculous. Plan a trip to Vegas for a future, better fight card, and make a weekend out of it.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
As low as $40, but anywhere from $40-$100 seems fair for general seating. $650 cage side for that card is pretty ridiculous. Plan a trip to Vegas for a future, better fight card, and make a weekend out of it.
i looked at the ticketmaster site yesterday and really good seats were around 150-225.the 40s were upper nosebleeds

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
i looked at the ticketmaster site yesterday and really good seats were around 150-225.the 40s were upper nosebleeds
I was just guessing when I threw out that $40-100 number, but $150 for a less than ideal seat starts to get a little pricey for the product they're providing. There's always a chance that the prelims will crush, and one or two of those main card fights will turn out to be all time classics, but the "anything is possible" argument doesn't really justify the amounts they're charging for good seats in Chicago. Not that Chicago is a unique situation.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I thought that was a good deal.when they came to Vancouver the cheap seats were around 200