UFC Fight Night 124: Preview and Predictions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

CagesideTribune

Jan 9, 2018
Hi guys, not sure if self-promotion is allowed on this forum but I recently started an MMA website and this is my first article. I wrote a quick preview of all the matchups taking place this weekend and then gave my prediction. Would love to know what you all think about my predictions, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

On January 14th, the UFC will head to St. Louis, Missouri for Fight Night 124. This is an event that you don’t want to miss. Although no heavyweight or light heavyweight fighters are billed, you can expect to see plenty of hard-hitters featured on this card. Continue reading down below for a recap of the many intriguing matchups taking place this weekend.

Kyung Ho Kang (13-7, 2-1 UFC) vs. Guido Cannetti (7-2, 1-1 UFC) - 135 lbs.

Neither of these guys have had a fight in over 2 years, albeit for very different reasons. Cannetti’s last fight took place in August of 2015, since then he has been on a long hiatus primarily due to a 10-month ban for a doping violation. He is 1-1 so far in his UFC career (1-3 if you include his stint on TUF Latin America), but could very well be 2-0. He nearly finished his opponent several times in the 1st round of his UFC debut, before being clipped and tapping out to a rear-naked choke in the 2nd round. The 38-year old’s main strengths lie in his snappy kicks and powerful knees in the clinch — he has heavy hands as well, but tends to throw wild flurries rather than picking his shots. In order to be successful against the much longer and rangier Kyung Ho Kang, Cannetti will need to show more patience and composure than he has displayed thus far in his UFC career.

Kang’s most recent fight was at UFC FN 52 in late-2014, where he pulled out a split decision triumph over Michinori Tanaka. Riding a 2-fight win streak, Kang put his promising career on pause in order to serve his mandatory 2-year duty in the South Korean military. With 9 of Kang’s 13 professional victories coming by way of submission, it certainly appears that he will have the advantage on the ground in this fight. Kang is very good at securing takedowns by using a strong body-lock on his opponent. Still relatively young, Kang (30) is entering his fighting prime and has the ability to creep into the top-15 with just a couple more victories.

Cannetti has demonstrated good takedown skills, but has shown an inability to do much damage once the fight is taken to the canvas. This should be an interesting stylistic match-up, and I am intrigued to see how both of these fighters have evolved over their long hiatuses. I expect Cannetti (5’6”) to have some trouble utilizing knees and head kicks on the taller Kang (5’9”).

Prediction: Kyung Ho Kang via Submission, rd. 3

For rest of article: UFC Fight Night 124: Preview & Predictions

CagesideTribune

Jan 9, 2018
Welcome! Imo, it helps if you participate in other ways in discussion so we feel invested.

You can also put your money where your mouth is (not really; it's free):
Monster's Pick 'em Championship Season 15 | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum

I'm sure many of our players will be reading your analysis with great interest.

:cheers:
Thanks! I just discovered this forum but it looks like a great place for discussion, will definitely be stopping in daily and participating. I'll take a look at the pick 'em as well!

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I just discovered this forum but it looks like a great place for discussion, will definitely be stopping in daily and participating.

But yes, you're than welcome to share your content here my man.

Cannetti is 38 yrs old, 1-1 in the UFC, and hasn't fought in 10 months because he pissed hot. I'm kind of surprised they are bringing him back to fight again to be honest.

CagesideTribune

Jan 9, 2018
Cannetti is 38 yrs old, 1-1 in the UFC, and hasn't fought in 10 months because he pissed hot. I'm kind of surprised they are bringing him back to fight again to be honest.
Yeah I suspect that they're mainly bringing him back to give Kang an easy fight. Haha that .gif, i'll definitely be coming through often.