UFC Fight Night 85: Live Discussion - 3/19/16

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Current Rankings
1 Cain Velasquez
2 Stipe Miocic
3 Alistair Overeem
4 Ben Rothwell
5 Junior Dos Santos
6 Andrei Arlovski
7 Travis Browne
8 Josh Barnett
9 Mark Hunt
10 Frank Mir

Who makes sense here?
My god that's a thin division full of flabby veterans. Heavyweight division is a mess. An entire division two wins away from a title shot.

warriorx559

Jan 19, 2015
Where is Rothwell in this discussion though? If he beats JDS, I think he deserves a title shot as much as Reem does.
Thats where its gets confusing, Overeem finished JDS when he was ranked #2, while Rothwell has the win over Overeem. I don't think you can risk Overeem losing his momentum if he gets the win.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thats where its gets confusing, Overeem finished JDS when he was ranked #2, while Rothwell has the win over Overeem. I don't think you can risk Overeem losing his momentum if he gets the win.
Seems like the UFC is in no hurry to give Ben a chance either.

warriorx559

Jan 19, 2015
But the argument remains debatable because in the last 5 fights he lost to Rothwell

I think Rothwell with the Barnett sub and a win over Overeem 5 streak with JDS is better than Allistairs with Arlovski and JDS 4 fight streak
I can see that but a title fight with Overeem will be easier to sell than one with Rothwell.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I can see that but title fight with Overeem will be easier to sell than one with Rothwell.
I'm not sure at this point either sells all that bigger than the other, Overeem has more fans but not since they picked up all this casual "Money fight" shit it's still hardcores in the end.

I think the finish in both fights will matter. Which probably favours Overeem

warriorx559

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not sure at this point either sells all that bigger than the other, Overeem has more fans but not since they picked up all this casual "Money fight" shit it's still hardcores in the end.

I think the finish in both fights will matter.
Absolutely, I think what it comes down to is who has the most exciting win. Also, don't count out the chance that they both lose, at HW its definitely possible.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I mean you're selling a rem
Absolutely, I think what it comes down to is who has the most exciting win. Also, don't count out the chance that they both lose, at HW its definitely possible.
True in which case they sell JDS likely

I mean you're potentially selling a third fight from two guys who had one of the worst fights ever (Werdum vs Overeem) OR you're selling a matchup with the unsellable in Stipe Miocic.

That card is going to need help regardless.

Rothwell is awesome but not a good look for the athletic organisation if you know what I be saying...Sad but true.

Imagine finding Rothwell fucking your girlfriend...

Remember that song...What about me?

Would be Sad times...I'm starting to be drunk.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Rothwell is awesome but not a good look for the athletic organisation if you know what I be saying...Sad but true.
Yeah! And add to the fact that he sounds like he was Down Syndrome when he gets on the mic.

I love Big Ben though, they should stop dicking him around and give him a shot already for fucks sake!

warriorx559

Jan 19, 2015
I mean you're selling a rem

True in which case they sell JDS likely

I mean you're potentially selling a third fight from two guys who had one of the worst fights ever (Werdum vs Overeem) OR you're selling a matchup with the unsellable in Stipe Miocic.

That card is going to need help regardless.
Yeah this can get so confusing, hopefully we get a clear choice for the next title challenger.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yeah they seem to be giving him guys hoping he might lose, also in the UFC's eyes Rothwell might not be the most exciting fight that will sell tickets.
Agreed, which is a shame because Ben's actually got a great personality. I think that he could capture a hard core following if they promoted him properly.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Imagine finding Rothwell fucking your girlfriend...

Remember that song...What about me?

Would be Sad times...I'm starting to be drunk.
It wouldn't be worse than Tim Sylvia, I respect Sylvia but HW is just what it is.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
HW at this point since Brock and somewhat since JDS, is selling on being the HW division and power game and not much else.

The matchup is really a blip on the radar unless it's Cain vs Werdum, which we likely never see again.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Until they pay properly all HW sized uber skilled guys will steer clear of MMA for football at all costs.

You gotta really love NCAA wrestling at that size, the future is hard to dream about vs Football.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Until they pay properly all HW sized uber skilled guys will steer clear of MMA for football at all costs.

You gotta really love NCAA wrestling at that size, the future is hard to dream about vs Football.
If you are big and athletic, mma is your last resort. You'd be dumb to try it out first. You could make more sitting on the bench in baseball or football than fighting 3X in the UFC.

Shit you can make more being on the practice squad.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
My god that's a thin division full of flabby veterans. Heavyweight division is a mess. An entire division two wins away from a title shot.
While I can't argue with this, 'thin' is relative. It may as well be the 170 and 155 divisions combined compared to the 4 or 5-man LHW division.

Generally you match a top 15 HW with another and it is exciting. There is a lot to like about all the top HWs and many are bigger names than their midget equivalent in the rankings. They are old and fat, but I want to see them.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Another Aussie event knocked it out of the park. Apart from 193, every Aussie event has been awesome.

Would like to see a couple of random daytime events in the US, even though it will never happen, to test this theory that it makes for better events.