UFC - How they can fix their fight schedule

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I have this idea.

1) The PPV. These events are only for title fights and contender fights. This will be the premier event and the place where contenders are sorted out as to who gets a title shot. This is primary machine that makes the ranking schedule.

2) UFN. These events are where we see guys who putting together wins to make the jump to the PPV. They have to be exciting but they also have to win. These are the guys trying to make a dent into the rankings and get to the PPV level. However, this is also where we see dream match up fights. Guys who will throw down and you know it's going to be a great match. Slobberknockers, submission machines, and grapplefests. Anything exciting would go. That's how you could promote these events. Guys about to make the leap to PPV and dream match ups. Leading guys to start to watch PPVs.

3) UFC on FOX. This is where you throw things like CM Punk, TUF events and finales. These events are where guys go to make their splash and debuts in the UFC. The TUF and TV stuff brings people in and the fighters are expected to get people to want to watch a UFN or maybe a PPV.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I posted something very similar in another thread a week or so ago, My thoughts were:

8-10 PPV's and year, and 6-8 Big FOX cards per year. Made up of title fights, title contender fights, and Top 15 match-ups only.

They could then put on as many UFN and FightPass as they wanted...30-40 of them per year. These cards would be made of up anyone outside the Top 15, up & comers, freak shows, and match-ups that make no sense in terms of rankings.

The schedule they have been following the last 2 years is ridiculous, and will not sustain long term growth. Matter of fact, if's accomplishing the complete opposite of what they thought it would. They thought more fights = more exposure = more people interested. All they've done is water down the product and make people disinterested.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I don't have a problem with them having more events. I think the structure I put forward would take care of the issue of them getting watered down. if there are set parameters on the event and who is in it and what it means that should help.

CM Punk should not be on a PPV if they want to be taken seriously. The set events schedule I put up acts like a farm system to bring up fighters.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I agree with you on that. Ive been thinking of something similar. They should have a fixed schedule for their events so people can plan their time around it. There should always be a PPV on the lets say first Saturday of every month. Then people dont need to always google around to know when its happening. Its a fixed schedule. Then on the other days you can have the free events like mentioned in the original post where people are vying to get into that PPV first Saturday of month show.

I think thats the main issue i have where you dont know when PPVs are. Its always random times and you have to keep up. Be nice to have 1 fixed Saturday a month when you know its on.

Like maybe have UFN shows only on Wednesday or something so they dont confused people into thinking they are the prelim fights for the PPV for later that night.