UFC is CNN

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
UFC is the largest and most influential MMA org by a country mile, much like CNN once was in TV news. But as money grew bigger, both discovered that perception is more important than reality.

The perception that you're the most trusted name in news, or the ultimate proving ground of MMA is at least equally as important as actually being those two things in reality. Actually, if you can convince people that you're the best, you can get away with not being the best for a while until you recover.

UFC is not quite at CNN's desperation point yet. Their credibility with casual fans is high because people still love the fights.

But when the shine of McGregor wears off and new stars don't emerge, it will be because the UFC abandoned it's principles much like CNN abandoned theirs. Rankings matter, and journalistic standards matter. Once you abandon those, you lose credibility and undermine your entire reputation. If the UFC doesn't follow a predictable ranking system to determine the majority of their title shots soon, their champions will be paper champs. In other words, UFC will be fake news.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
People want to be controlled.
Even mediocre fans dislike the belt situation, but will choose not to voice against the "paper champ" from fear of being ostracized by the mainstream.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
People want to be controlled.
Even mediocre fans dislike the belt situation, but will choose not to voice against the "paper champ" from fear of being ostracized by the mainstream.
Pfft. Who cares about mainstream (read as casual) fans? If I mention the name Steve Judson and get nothing other than a blank stare, I generally find an out of the conversation.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Pfft. Who cares about mainstream (read as casual) fans? If I mention the name Steve Judson and get nothing other than a blank stare, I generally find an out of the conversation.
Youre the Steve Judson of TMMAC

Im the Brad Kohler

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Although being Brad Kohler in this scenario, as a fan of TQ, I would wager that your nutritionists share similar philosophies.