UFC issues statement on champ Jon Jones, no current changes to UFC 187 card

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Although Jon Jones is now officially a suspect in a hit-and-run accident involving a pregnant woman, as of this morning, the UFC light-heavyweight champion is still scheduled to headline next month’s UFC 187 event.

As MMAjunkie reported on Sunday, Jones was initially wanted by the Albuquerque Police Department for questioning in the hit-and-run that took place early that morning. Later in the day, he officially was named a suspect.

Police department reps said there were no immediate plans to issue an arrest warrant. However, a summons will be issued, and Jones, who lives in Albuquerque and trains with Team Jackson-Winkeljohn, will have four weeks to show in court. Should he fail to appear in court, a warrant will be issued for his arrest.

With Jones’ status as a suspect, which followed a day full of rumors and innuendo, the UFC issued a statement.

It read: “We are aware that the Albuquerque Police Department is interested in speaking to Jon Jones regarding his possible involvement in a motor vehicle accident. We are in the process of gathering facts and will reserve further comment until more information is available.”

UFC issues statement on champ Jon Jones, no current changes to UFC 187 card | MMAjunkie

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Dana will agree with this and like the coca cola incident will say there were no grounds to pursue the matter until the fifght was over, the gate was confirmed, PPP numbers were all in and they made their money.....fu-acing hilarious..........

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I'm sure uncle Dana will get him the best legal help that money can provide. He should still be able to make the fight May 23rd.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
4 weeks is a day after the fight. How convenient.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Dana will agree with this and like the coca cola incident will say there were no grounds to pursue the matter until the fifght was over, the gate was confirmed, PPP numbers were all in and they made their money.....fu-acing hilarious..........
Its actually pretty sad IMO. Jones will feel like he got a free pass. He'll be enabled again. The UFC gets paid. Jones gets a short term boost. But its Jones that will crash and burn instead of fulfilling what could be an incredible legacy untainted by this needless crap.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I wonder if there was a countdown crew in the car with him when this went down. This could be a VERY interesting countdown show if so.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm sick of everything to do with this guy and the enabling desperation of Humpty Derpty.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Thiago Silva got cut without a conviction.
Brett Rogers was cut without a conviction.
Rampage was not cut after a hit and run that resulted in a miscarriage.
Jones is not cut for testing positive for cocaine, starting brawls and now a hit and run on a pregnant woman.

I think the message is clear

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
WTF Jon! Dude has got away with so much shit not even fun. Now acting like a dumbass might have finally caught up to him.

Peaceout!

Apr 11, 2015
I don't think the UFC needs to get involved. This is something that didn't happen on UFC time it is a legal issue let the law handle it. I'm not sure why everyone feels Zuffa needs to get involved in issues that are of legal standing, but ok. That and I really want to see AJ knock jones out. Then the Jones camp will say it was this car crash thing, rematch and jones gets ko again. Although I hate rematches.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Thiago Silva got cut without a conviction.
Brett Rogers was cut without a conviction.
Rampage was not cut after a hit and run that resulted in a miscarriage.
Jones is not cut for testing positive for cocaine, starting brawls and now a hit and run on a pregnant woman.

I think the message is clear
Well, I criticised them for not being consistent, so gotta give props when they are.