UFC issues statement on Cody East signing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

On Friday, Bloody Elbow published an article on the criminal history of recent UFC signing Cody East, a 12-1 heavyweight out of New Mexico. The former high school wrestling champion was signed following a 40 second knockout win at Legacy FC 51, which was filmed by the "Lookin' For a Fight" crew, with UFC president Dana White in attendance. East was acquitted of a 2005 rape as a minor (while still in high school), but was sentenced to 3 years in prison and 5 years probation after a jury found him guilty of 3 counts of third-degree felony child abuse and 1 count of misdemeanor battery stemming from a 2007 underage drinking party at his home.

Jason House, Cody East's manager, responded to the article, saying that "the UFC conducted an extensive background check on Cody before offering him the opportunity to compete in the UFC."

Bloody Elbow contacted the UFC on Thursday, receiving a response on Friday with a full statement, including details on their independent investigation into East and their decision to sign him.

"From the beginning, Mr. East was very upfront with UFC regarding his past. In light of Mr. East's history, UFC had an independent investigation conducted into his past and current behavior. Included in the investigation was a response from East's former probation officer supporting his opportunity to compete in UFC and commenting that he would in fact be a good candidate. As a result of the investigation, and with the understanding that Mr. East had successfully completed many months of rehabilitation and counseling, UFC felt comfortable offering Mr. East the opportunity to compete in UFC."

LINK: UFC statement: 'Independent investigation' was conducted into Cody East's background

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Do you believe they did that and he completed this counselling? How long is the lag between the show and them signing him?

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Not off to a great start for Cody East's UFC career. He's already part of the independent investigation club. Anthony Johnson and Travis Browne welcome you Cody.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Bad look for the UFC if he becomes Champ ,lots of mma guys have misdemeanors the felony stuff is bad doe.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Jon Jones will fight him and talk about how bad of a guy he is.....
if only they weren't team mates lol..East has a brother who also fights who's solid too..

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The UFC and their extensive background checks... hire the guy or not, but stop the bullshit. I am happy for the guy he gets a second chance in life, but the UFC is doing nothing but washing their hands in advance...

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
I'm sure there have been Boxers who have done much worse.

That is a pretty scummy past though.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You know what the saddest part of this is?

Will Chope has gone 10-3 since the UFC cut over his incidents he "Did his time for", not even a sniff of a second chance. Meanwhile Trujilo never even got mentioned by the Media turds under their thumb.

Fuck that company and all who run it.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
You know what the saddest part of this is?

Will Chope has gone 10-3 since the UFC cut over his incidents he "Did his time for", not even a sniff of a second chance. Meanwhile Trujilo never even got mentioned by the Media turds under their thumb.

Fuck that company and all who run it.
Trujillo? Please elaborate

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Trujillo? Please elaborate
There are specific details of it available somewhere I can't track down right now but he was brought up around Anthony Johnson's issues and then when Will Chope was used as a scapegoat after Ray Rice's fiasco made all sports make token disproportionate punishment with one one person.

I remember the details were once on Trujilo's wiki and then mysteriously dissapeared (Wiki so not hard to put back obviously) I wonder why.

HBO Real Sports unearths disproportionate rate of domestic violence in MMA

UFC president Dana White has said that fighters "never bounce back from" charges of hitting women, yet Abel Trujillo, a UFC lightweight, has been convicted twice of domestic abuse and Anthony Lapsley, who fought for the UFC in May 2014, has three separate convictions.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
There are specific details of it available somewhere I can't track down right now but he was brought up around Anthony Johnson's issues and then when Will Chope was used as a scapegoat after Ray Rice's fiasco made all sports make token disproportionate to once person.

I remember the details were once on Trujilo's wiki and then mysteriously dissapeared (Wiki so not hard to put back obviously) I wonder why.

HBO Real Sports unearths disproportionate rate of domestic violence in MMA

UFC president Dana White has said that fighters "never bounce back from" charges of hitting women, yet Abel Trujillo, a UFC lightweight, has been convicted twice of domestic abuse and Anthony Lapsley, who fought for the UFC in May 2014, has three separate convictions.
Thanks, didn't know that

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
So according to the brilliant Dana white "You can't come back from charges of hitting woman", charges, not even convictions mind you, unless you're Anthony Johnson and they think they can make money off of you, and you can apparently come back from Child Abuse in this fine gentleman in the OP's case.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
I don't think slapping an annoying bitch should end your career.

EDIT: this is a reply to the discussion about domestic abuse and MMA

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
So according to the brilliant Dana white "You can't come back from Domestic abuse" unless you're Anthony Johnson and they think they can make money off of you, and you can come back from Child Abuse.
might be worth reading up on WHY AJ was allowed back into the UFC before making grand statements

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
might be worth reading up on WHY AJ was allowed back into the UFC before making grand statements
I didn't say he should have his career ended I said the UFC should have some consistency, Dana himself said "YOU CAN'T COME BACK FROM HITTING A WOMAN" and threw Chope out, he once said Johnson was never coming back then changed his mind.

DOn't put words into my mouth.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
I didn't say he should have his career ended I said the UFC should have some consistency, Dana himself said "YOU CAN'T COME BACK FROM HITTING A WOMAN" and threw Chope out, he once said Johnson was never coming back then changed his mind.

DOn't put words into my mouth.
I didn't quote you when I made the comment about careers being ended

EDIT: I see why it looked like a reply to you, I was just replying to the general theme of the thread, sorry

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Are they really that desperate for new heavyweights
Yes.

Every heavyweight who fights seems to be in the top 10 lol. They need a few more to get to 15...