UFC on....ABC?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
T

The Big Guy

UFC eyes Jan. 16 return to network television on ABC; tentative Jan. 30 event removed from schedule

The UFC is closing in on its return to network television.

The promotion’s 2021 schedule will kick off Jan. 16 with a UFC Fight Night event, as planned. However, the promotion is currently planning for the card to air on ABC, rather than the ESPN networks.

Four people with knowledge of the situation recently informed MMA Junkie of the UFC’s targeted plans for the Jan. 16 event but asked to remain anonymous as the promotion has yet to make an official announcement.

The event, pending broadcast finalization, will mark the first time the promotion has held an event on ABC.

It is unknown, at this time, how many fights will air on ABC – or how the main card, prelims, and early prelims will be divvied up between Disney-owned networks, which also include ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN+

The Jan. 16 UFC Fight Night event will take place on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi – one of three cards expected to take place during the UFC’s third stint on “Fight Island.”

Additionally, a person with knowledge of the situation revealed there will not be a UFC card on Jan. 30 – as was originally expected, but never officially announced. Many of the fights previously reported for that date have been shifted to other events in the UFC’s first-quarter schedule.

On Tuesday, anonymous Twitter user @DonKingLV was first to mention a potential ABC shift. MMA DNA was first to report the UFC’s planned Jan. 30 event is no longer happening.

The current UFC Fight Night lineup includes:

• Max Holloway vs. Calvin Kattar
  • Sara McMann vs. Julianna Pena
  • Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Muslim Salikhov
  • Mike Grundy vs. Nik Lentz
  • Brian Kelleher vs. Ricky Simon
  • Jacob Kilburn vs. Austin Lingo
  • Carlos Felipe vs. Justin Tafa
  • Punahele Soriano vs. Dusko Todorovic
  • Anthony Hernandez vs. Rodolfo Vieira
  • Bethe Correia vs. Wu Yanan
  • Christian Aguilera vs. Warlley Alves
  • Omari Akhmedov vs. Tom Breese
  • Ramazan Emeev vs. David Zawada

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Good thing it's a stacked card for the triumphant return to network television!

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Just think... that card is in its intended form... just wait for COVID, weight cuts, and injuries dilute it further.
Maybe they will throw the UFC a bone and have it follow an episode of The Bachelor or something.

M

member 3289

Bethe Correia and Wu Yanan are going to bring the eyes that open up a very substantial untapped market.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Strange choice but it will get a few new eyeballs I guess
It’s a way to put it in front of people who don’t have espn in their cable package, and don’t watch mma but may have an interest. Possibly enough to purchase espn+ After seeing some good fights. Seems like good marketing.

T

The Big Guy

It’s a way to put it in front of people who don’t have espn in their cable package, and don’t watch mma but may have an interest. Possibly enough to purchase espn+ After seeing some good fights. Seems like good marketing.
For sure I wish it was mandatory viewing for all humans I just think abc is a weird fit for the ufc

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Just think... that card is in its intended form... just wait for COVID, weight cuts, and injuries dilute it further.
Maybe they will throw the UFC a bone and have it follow an episode of The Bachelor or something.
U speak the truth

feels like 3 undercards combined from 10 years ago if you subtract the main(which is a great scrap of top talent)

would make sense if they did it after some college football but that ain't happening

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Prepare yourself for 3 minutes of fighting per hour of commercials.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i cant wait for someone to get their wig split and start bleeding like a stuck pig live on ABC. the mainstream reeeeeees will be golden