UFC on ESPN+ 19 Live Discussion - 10/12/19

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
It doesn't really make sense for Waterson to be taking these kind of fights, that's a lot of brain cells she'll never get back. She's at JacksonWink, they're good enough to see it's a mismatch and tell her to take fights with other journeymen where she doesn't take much damage. Taking a 50-45 beating this many years into the game makes no sense, she should know her own level as a seasoned veteran.
I’d love to see her go to Rizin at 105. Waterson vs see her ham or Rena would be great.

WhiteCollarBrawler

Amateur Fighter
Jun 16, 2018
I’d love to see her go to Rizin at 105. Waterson vs see her ham or Rena would be great.
Yeah. Fighting is actually a lot like training. 50:50 match ups give you the best results. If you're a novice hobbyist, you don't want to step in there with high level pros and get ragdolled and lit up every single sparring session. Either they hold back and baby you, which means they don't get much out of the sparring and are wasting their precious training time doing you a favor, or they spar normally. Which means you'll be a punching bag.

The ideal situation is a 50:50 training partner that you can't beat, and who can't beat you. That way you both progress and push each other, and improve optimally after each sparring session. Learning new movements is done during drilling, not sparring or fighting.

Ultimately, nobody is really "hard." Errol Spence is one of the toughest active boxers, he just flipped his car and put himself in the ICU. It doesn't matter how "tough" you are, a gorilla or a bear would tear you apart. And a bullet would end a gorilla as well.

If you wouldn't pick a fight with a gorilla, why would you pick a fight with a vastly superior fighter that will give you a 50-45 beating and take a bunch of your brain cells?

This sport is about knowing your own level and excelling on that level. Being an exciting, "tough" punching bag is just sacrificing your brain cells and health for the promoter's profit.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Felt for Michelle when Bisping mentioned she took a lot of damage. I felt like she was going to announce her retirement, but when Mike said that she on the spot was like F nah, I ain't going out like that. Hope she gets a nicer swan song than many. She's had a good enough run.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Sheepdog @lordofthepies your thoughts on the main event?
Didn't watch it. If I am watching on delay I fast forward WMMA fights and stop it if it looks like hell freezes over and something interesting happens. If it's the main, then that's not necessary.

Overall pretty entertaining card though. Better than the snorefest in my hometown.