UFC on ESPN 6 Live Discussion - 10/18/19

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
True but do roids improve one's chin?
I think it can help
Definitely helps recovery from being rocked/flash knockdown

Reem was a lot more immune to heavy shots when juiced
Hendo also was much more durable in the chin when on tons of TRT

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
what is funny about that is I don't think Jones wants to fight those contenders...They are legit LHWs and he has been fighting mostly MWs
I disagree. He would have much rather fought Weidman or Rockhold because people have at least heard of them. The reason he fought Smith and Santos was because they had actually put together a string of wins at 205.

If you go through 205 in the UFC, there's really nothing to be excited about currently.

Santos rematch should happen but he's injured.
Smith also injured.
Gus is retired or not or he is or he isn't and just lost to Smith.
Corey Anderson... No one gives a shit about him. But if he beats Johnny Walker then he's definitely next in line.
Jan had just lost the contender fight against Santos. But thank goodness he murdered Rockhold. Now he's fighting Jacare which is interesting.
Reyes hasn't blown anyone away and barely squeeked past Volkan. Beating the chinny Weidman is the biggest thing he's done.
Speaking of Volkan.. He had lost 3 in a row before beating Latifi.
Rakic could be interesting but it's still too early to tell.
Latifi has lost 2 in a row.
Walker is fun as hell but he hasn't really beaten anyone of note. If he gets past Anderson then he'll probably get the next shot.

What I'm getting at is that 205 is pretty pathetic. Those middleweights, even including Rockhold and Weidman, were the best options available either based on winning or at least having a name. Now Jon has no one really... Unless he moves up and even that is only interesting if he's fighting Stipe, DC, or ... Rumble?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I disagree. He would have much rather fought Weidman or Rockhold because people have at least heard of them. The reason he fought Smith and Santos was because they had actually put together a string of wins at 205.

If you go through 205 in the UFC, there's really nothing to be excited about currently.

Santos rematch should happen but he's injured.
Smith also injured.
Gus is retired or not or he is or he isn't and just lost to Smith.
Corey Anderson... No one gives a shit about him. But if he beats Johnny Walker then he's definitely next in line.
Jan had just lost the contender fight against Santos. But thank goodness he murdered Rockhold. Now he's fighting Jacare which is interesting.
Reyes hasn't blown anyone away and barely squeeked past Volkan. Beating the chinny Weidman is the biggest thing he's done.
Speaking of Volkan.. He had lost 3 in a row before beating Latifi.
Rakic could be interesting but it's still too early to tell.
Latifi has lost 2 in a row.
Walker is fun as hell but he hasn't really beaten anyone of note. If he gets past Anderson then he'll probably get the next shot.

What I'm getting at is that 205 is pretty pathetic. Those middleweights, even including Rockhold and Weidman, were the best options available either based on winning or at least having a name. Now Jon has no one really... Unless he moves up and even that is only interesting if he's fighting Stipe, DC, or ... Rumble?
fair enough, will agree to disagree

Jon fought DC and Gus...props for that
6 of his last 8 have gone to the judges...I don't think he wants to fight KO strikers on a run right now, or ever.
I don't even believe he would fight Stipe if he wins...I think it is just a way to get at DC if DC wins

Fighting "name" guys is ok, but holds up a lot of divisions and allows for ducking

Chris and Luke calling him out before winning a 205 fight is laughable...that is for sure

If Jon wants to pretend he cleaned out the division then he should sit Walker and Reyes down...even Jan...those guys are legit threats to him

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
True but do roids improve one's chin?
I was reading an article about why women statistically suffer way more concussions than men in car accidents, and it said it was largely due to lack of neck muscles being able to stop the skull from bouncing around so much.
I would imagine steroids would give you a huge advantage from that angle, neck and traps juiced up helps protect the brain from impact related concussions.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
I would further posit that the whole "the shots you don't see coming are the ones that knock you out..." thing is directly related to the neck muscles/concussion thing, you don't see it coming, you can't tense up and brace for the hit, you get the brain pinballing around thing otherwise

Last edited:

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I think it can help
Definitely helps recovery from being rocked/flash knockdown

Reem was a lot more immune to heavy shots when juiced
Hendo also was much more durable in the chin when on tons of TRT
Or maybe Reem just didn't as well once in the UFC because the competition is stiffer.

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I was reading an article about why women statistically suffer way more concussions than men in car accidents, and it said it was largely due to lack of neck muscles being able to stop the skull from bouncing around so much.
I would imagine steroids would give you a huge advantage from that angle, neck and traps juiced up helps protect the brain from impact related concussions.
Interesting.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Or maybe Reem just didn't as well once in the UFC because the competition is stiffer.
that is part of it for sure
but he was a totally different fighter when he was 270 shredded fighting K-1

Hendo Vitor Reem and many more have had more durability on the juice IMO...some of it is mental edge but recovery from heavy shots and resistance to heavy shots seems to be improved with performance enhancers

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
that is part of it for sure
but he was a totally different fighter when he was 270 shredded fighting K-1

Hendo Vitor Reem and many more have had more durability on the juice IMO...some of it is mental edge but recovery from heavy shots and resistance to heavy shots seems to be improved with performance enhancers
I'd love to see some stats on how many shots they TOOK on roids as well. Maybe their improved performance just allowed them to hit first or avoid being hit altogether.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'd love to see some stats on how many shots they TOOK on roids as well. Maybe their improved performance just allowed them to hit first or avoid being hit altogether.
Agreed...they are more aggressive and less tentative

a lot of it is mental also I think
those three dudes fought different when they got "clean"

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Agreed...they are more aggressive and less tentative

a lot of it is mental also I think
those three dudes fought different when they got "clean"
This is absolutely true. I know I've witnessed mental changes in fighters when the evidence was strong that they were off whatever they'd been taking. Johny Hendricks is a good example of that.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This is absolutely true. I know I've witnessed mental changes in fighters when the evidence was strong that they were off whatever they'd been taking. Johny Hendricks is a good example of that.
yes

I think in training they eat shots and know they are "nearly invincible"
then when training clean they eat similar shots and get rocked
so they act accordingly in their fights

Pure speculation of course, I have never juiced or fought