UFC on FOX 17: A Fan's Perspective

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
After 12 years of following the sport of MMA religiously, I finally got to see a live UFC show. My cousin flew in from Pittsburgh and I treated him to a great pair of seats at center court, about 19 rows up. View was fantastic, but was still slightly obscured by the top of the cage, cameramen and lighting truss (to see round/time on scoreboard).

That's about my only complaint. The event was amazing. Our plan was to arrive just before Marquardt vs Dollaway, but we ended up getting in the door just as Oliveira vs Jury started. Since that fight ended so quickly, the first fight we actually got to sit down and watch was the first of the main card. Bruce Buffer did a little announcement after the last fight of the prelim telling everyone to get up and do their thing before the main card starts.

A quick shot of Rogan getting ready to start the broadcast:

Here's a short clip of the Baba O'Riley intro. You can see how I was panning all around tyring to get a good view of one of the screens. Unfortunately, the only one I could see well was behind my left shoulder, so I was constantly having to turn around to check the round/time.

The riveting, butthole puckering moments of anticipation just prior to the main event starting:

Kowalkiewicz walking to the cage and getting prepped:

Bruce Buffer patiently watching as Kowalkiewicz gets her final inspection. He may or may not be taking a sly peek in this picture. I'll let you be the judge:

Decent shot I snagged of Goldie and Rogan announcing Kowalkiewicz's entrance to the octagon. Apparently Rogan is a Monster guy:

Randa getting ready:

Buffer announcing Kowalkiewicz vs Markos:

Randa doing her thing from the top in the second round:

I set the camera down after that and kicked back for a bit. The next thing I snagged was the intense lil stare down Diaz and Johnson had at the end of their first round:

Brittney Palmer booty between round one and two of Diaz vs Johnson:

Decided to record the entire second round in case there was a big KO/TKO I could capture from the crowd's perspective. Unfortunately, there was no finish. But here's the footage in case anyone is curious to watch from this angle. I marked the video with no copyright intention and hope they won't bother it. It should be covered by the fair use exemption:

Edit: grammar idiocy and whatnot

Last edited:

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Overeem walkout and prep:

Dos Santos walkout and prep:

Pre-fight stares and announcement:

Overeem raising his hands in victory:

Bruce Buffer and Joe Rogan posing for a personal photo during the announcement of Overeem vs Dos Santos winner. Appreciate you taking the time, gentlemen! :p

Took a video of Cerrone's walkout, too. All of the walkouts came from my back left so I didn't have the greatest view of them. The only fighter to enter elsewhere was Dos Anjos, who came from the front left tunnel. Not sure why he was on the other side:

Didn't get any decent pics or vids of Dos Anjos's walkout, but for those who didn't hear it, he came out to the most gangster walkout song of all time. For some reason that track was hitting me hard when he came out. Not sure why. But I learned after the fact that if you hear that song, expect Dos Anjos is coming with cruel intentions:

Cerrone vs Dos Anjos fight announcement:

Dos Anjos celebrating on the fence after his TKO victory:

Cerrone stood with his hands on his hips and stared motionless with zero expression on his face for about three minutes after he got up (first pic). Can't imagine the feeling of defeat going through his mind having been so close, again, yet failing to overcome the peak of that mountain:

Those are all of the pictures and videos I got of the event. I grabbed a couple pieces of memorabilia on the way out. Got an official program, a nice little coffee table book on the history of the company/sport and a UFC Orlando shirt:

It wasn't until I was walking away from the stand that I saw the ever so desired Reebok logo plastered on the shoulder. Not sure why they had to brand a shirt like that with a sports logo, but kind of made sense considering the shirt is probably the thinnest cotton you could legally consider a fabric. About as cheap with their production costs as they are with the fighter sponsorship money

I snapped a blurry shot of The City Beautiful on the way back to the parking garage. Thinking about getting a place at this building on the left after my current lease is up. It's called 55 West. Super nice building and it's pretty much right across the street from the arena. If that does happen, pre-game at my place next time UFC is in town

Hope you enjoyed my little recap. I know lueVelvet @lueVelvet was in attendance. Anyone else have pics/vids to share from this weekend?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Great thread IschKabibble @Ish Kabibble ! I always enjoy reading a fans perspective on a good event. Nice job on all the pictures and clips as well, thanks for sharing with us
:)

M

member 603

I was in attendance that night too, I was in section 109. Awesome post and I'm glad you had a blast too. If you ever want, come on down to the 6 Levels gym and train with us... Nate Diaz and Jake Shields will be back around doing seminars at our gym again.

Oh and let me advise you against getting a place in 55 W.... I've had a few friends and an ex of mine who've lived there and they all hated it (too much Downtown noise, random drunks somehow getting in the building, and a pain in the ass trying to get in and out of their parking garage)... Thorton Park or College Park areas are a lot nicer

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
You get to meet anyone? Any signatures?
Nah, been super stressed with work lately. Didn't make any time to do the open workouts or weigh-ins. I'm not much of a fanboy for signatures and photos either. If anything, the thought of walking up to Joe Rogan, shaking his hand and shooting the shit with him for a quick second crossed my mind. Would love to tell him in person that his podcasts have been really insightful lately and that I enjoy the shit out of the free entertainment he produces.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I was in attendance that night too, I was in section 109. Awesome post and I'm glad you had a blast too. If you ever want, come on down to the 6 Levels gym and train with us... Nate Diaz and Jake Shields will be back around doing seminars at our gym again.

Oh and let me advise you against getting a place in 55 W.... I've had a few friends and an ex of mine who've lived there and they all hated it (too much Downtown noise, random drunks somehow getting in the building, and a pain in the ass trying to get in and out of their parking garage)... Thorton Park or College Park areas are a lot nicer
lol. I've heard the horror stories about 55 West, but it was pretty chill that Saturday. Maybe because it was so cold (relative to Central Flroida) that night. There are some other nice Condos out that way that I'm curious to check out.

Never trained a day in my life though. Where is 6 Levels? Marine buddy of mine showed me how to do a triangle choke at a party one night. That's about the extent of my training. That and afterschool Tae Kwon Do at age 10 up to about brown belt. Feel like I'm too old at 29 to start training now. My old bones are brittle. :leftright:

M

member 603

lol. I've heard the horror stories about 55 West, but it was pretty chill that Saturday. Maybe because it was so cold (relative to Central Flroida) that night. There are some other nice Condos out that way that I'm curious to check out.

Never trained a day in my life though. Where is 6 Levels? Marine buddy of mine showed me how to do a triangle choke at a party one night. That's about the extent of my training. That and afterschool Tae Kwon Do at age 10 up to about brown belt. Feel like I'm too old at 29 to start training now. My old bones are brittle. :leftright:
It's about 20 minutes from Downtown in Winter Garden, and you're never to old (I've got a decade on you, and I still train/teach 6 days a week).

Yeah they have some decent condos downtown, I prefer any not directly on Church Street.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It's about 20 minutes from Downtown in Winter Garden, and you're never to old (I've got a decade on you, and I still train/teach 6 days a week).

Yeah they have some decent condos downtown, I prefer any not directly on Church Street.
One day, brother. It's just a matter of motivation. Well, that and getting in shape a little bit so I don't puke all over your mats and embarrass myself. lol

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Just looking back at my pics and noticed Cerrone had what looks like two sponsors on his shorts. I know Monster is allowed for certain sponsored fighters, but what is that other logo?

Edit: I spell like a third grader

Last edited:

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Just looking back at my pics and noticed Cerrone had what looks like two sponsors on his shorts. I know Monster is allowed for certain sponsored fighteres, but what is that other logo?

He always sews a patch of his old muay thai shorts on the shorts he wears for his fights. I'm sure Reebok loved that.

M

member 603

One day, brother. It's just a matter of motivation. Well, that and getting in shape a little bit so I don't puke all over your mats and embarrass myself. lol
LOL, I understand... Remember, we all started from zero and worked our way up... It's a beautiful journey, an awesome life changing experience.... When you chose to take it, I'd be honored to be your guide and help teach you more about this sport we love and to joy of training it.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
LOL, I understand... Remember, we all started from zero and worked our way up... It's a beautiful journey, an awesome life changing experience.... When you chose to take it, I'd be honored to be your guide and help teach you more about this sport we love and to joy of training it.
You'll be the first I contact. I promise you that.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Great post bro. I only went to Amway Center once for a Sade concert, but loved the venue and Orlando is a great city.

Thanks for sharing your pics, videos and thoughts!

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Great post bro. I only went to Amway Center once for a Sade concert, but loved the venue and Orlando is a great city.

Thanks for sharing your pics, videos and thoughts!
Was my first time going since they opened it five years ago. Hard to believe it's been that long already. Very nice venue. I'll have to stomach a few Magic games just to hang out there some time.