UFC - OneFC Trade - Demetrious Johnson for Ben Askren - Thoughts?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheCompleteKO

Sep 17, 2018
TMMAS,

Holy crap news.
Title says it all.
First ever MMA- Cross Organizational trade.
Who do you think won this trade and do you think there will be more trades to come in the future? Comment below.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
No offense, but the first thing I did was Google this to check on the credibility. Turns out that shit is real. At least widely reported as really being discussed.

My take: we're talking about two fighters often accused of being "boring." Mighty Mouse has incredible skills and has had highlight reel moments, but without those, there's no much interest in the tiny-weight division. Both fighters have been dominant. Well, DJ was right up until the rematch with Cejudo.

But new blood would be good. Time to find out what Askren can do against the best of the best in the UFC. Not sure who Mighty Mouse's biggest challenge would be at OneFC. They have Sam-A Kaiyanghadaogym on their roster, a Muay Thai phenom. I guess that match-up would probably be in the offing.

Anyway, BRING IT ON!

EDIT: I now see there was an earlier thread on this topic.

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
Trading goat fw who just lost his title in a close fight sans rematch.

Seems a little disrespectful to me, but can’t say I’m surprised.

DJ was never my friend.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Mighty mouse will havea bunch of asian midgets to fight.it is perfect for him.there arent that many north americans who are 5 ft 0 and 125 lbs

TheCompleteKO

Sep 17, 2018
Remember,
I think the bigger picture here is the plot to try and remove the UFC's Flyweight division entirely.
After Cejudo vs TJ, it might be it.
Think about, what other big time Flyweight fight is happening..?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
LMAO, I can't believe this is real.

And you know exactly why they're doing this - they DESPERATELY want the title off of Woodley, even if it means having a leg humper like Askren holding the strap.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
LMAO, I can't believe this is real.

And you know exactly why they're doing this - they DESPERATELY want the title off of Woodley, even if it means having a leg humper like Askren holding the strap.
Do you think Askrens beats Woodley?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Im k8nd of looking forward to dj smashing some asians who cant wrestle and ben getting punched the fuck out by superior competition

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Do you think Askrens beats Woodley?
At this point I don't know - Ben hasn't been very active and his competition has been lacklustre for a long time now.

But if I had to pick someone to beat Woodley, it's going to be a grinding wrestler like a Ben Askren or Colby Covington.

He's only lost to Jake Shields and Rory in the UFC. All the strikers he's fought he's beat the shit out of.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
At this point I don't know - Ben hasn't been very active and his competition has been lacklustre for a long time now.

But if I had to pick someone to beat Woodley, it's going to be a grinding wrestler like a Ben Askren or Colby Covington.

He's only lost to Jake Shields and Rory in the UFC. All the strikers he's fought he's beat the shit out of.
What is it I'm missing about Askren? I can't see him being top 5 at WW in the UFC let alone beating Woodley. Ben has had such a weak strength of schedule for so long and looks like he could easily cut to 155 but so many people think he was the guy to beat GSP and now Woodley. By no means am I saying he's a bum but I think he's one of the most overrated fighters of all time. If I can see him fight current top guys and beat them I'm happy to say I was wrong but I just don't get it.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
What is it I'm missing about Askren? I can't him being top 5 at WW in the UFC let alone beating Woodley. Ben has had such a weak strength of schedule for so long and looks like he could easily cut to 155 but so many people think he was the guy to beat GSP and now Woodley. By no means am I saying he's a bum but I think he's one of the most overrated fighters of all time. If I can see him fight current top guys and beat them I'm happy to say I was wrong but I just don't get it.
He had no chance against GSP IMO, that was just wishful thinking.

I'm not the biggest Askren fan but he has just smothered and dominated some legit guys during his Bellator run (Lima and Koreshkov).

I don't think he can beat all the top 5 but I think he could be a tough matchup for Woodley in particular.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He had no chance against GSP IMO, that was just wishful thinking.

I'm not the biggest Askren fan but he has just smothered and dominated some legit guys during his Bellator run (Lima and Koreshkov).

I don't think he can beat all the top 5 but I think he could be a tough matchup for Woodley in particular.
I like Ben, he's a good fighter obviously and he seems pretty smart in his interviews.

The fights you mention are usually used to make a case but that was five years ago, I just need to see it first I guess.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
First ever MMA- Cross Organizational trade.
Who do you think won this trade and do you think there will be more trades to come in the future? Comment below.
Hey man
it will be rare

All 4 parties had to agree. It isn't like UFC can force DJ to fight at One & vice-versa

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
I'm good with it. Been dying to see Ben Askren in the UFC. As an MMA fan I don't mind the "boring" fight style, I admire the dominance and skill. It's not like DJ can't come back to the UFC at some point. Let's make it happen. DJ has nothing to prove to me, he's one of the GOATs.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
This would be a great move for the UFC. DJ doesn't move anyone's needle. That division can go away. They could hype the shit out of Ben and play up the beef he had with Dana. Give him a top 5 fight to see how he does. I believe he ragdolls most of the division, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong and he gets wrecked, Dana could have the last laugh and tell everyone I told you so.

Just wish he could've gotten in 5 years ago.