UFC renews efforts to negotiate fight between Cris Cyborg and Ronda Rousey

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Crooklyn

Space Pirate
Jan 21, 2015
In the latest round of "Will she or won't she," ESPN recently confirmed that Cris Cyborg is in contract negotiations with the UFC. Cyborg has been inactive in mixed martial arts competition since July 2013, when she claimed the Invicta featherweight belt from former champion, Marloes Coenen. Injuries and indecision about cutting down to 135 were the primary factors involved in keeping her sidelined, a reality that has left many fans frustrated, since the likelihood of a bout with UFC women's bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey has seemed remote, at best. Get the rest at the following link:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/2...urrent-negotiations-underway-with-cris-cyborg

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This is great news. Hopefully we finally get to see her and Rousey settle their differences inside of the octagon. I hope that she can make 135 and this happens. Who do you favor if this fight happens, Crooklyn?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Is it just me or is anybody else more interested that its reported as Lorenzo doing the talks and not Dana over the fight itself? Maybe because this topic has been beat to death many times over so I'm at the point where I just won't pay much attention until its a go. What stands out to me here is Lorenzo, Cyborg, negotiations and respect. To me that's more interesting, I just feel that Rousey will wait it out until Cyborg looks like Nog in his Nelson fight before she makes a move.

"One thing I can say is that Lorenzo and Zuffa have been very professional during these negotiations," Prajin said. "And they have been respectful to Chris, which is probably what's actually keeping us at the table."

Crooklyn

Space Pirate
Jan 21, 2015
I Wild Each It;n4587 said:
This is great news. Hopefully we finally get to see her and Rousey settle their differences inside of the octagon. I hope that she can make 135 and this happens. Who do you favor if this fight happens, Crooklyn?

Ronda. She's dedicated to her craft, hates losing, improves exponentially from one fight to the next and just has a better overall game. Now that she's added some good striking to her arsenal, I doubt we'll see her unseated for quite some time.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Crooklyn;n4615 said:
Ronda. She's dedicated to her craft, hates losing, improves exponentially from one fight to the next and just has a better overall game. Now that she's added some good striking to her arsenal, I doubt we'll see her unseated for quite some time.
Interesting. By sub, KO, or decision?

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

jason73;n4611 said:
she is never going to make 135lbs
this, when hell freezes over, it has been this shit for three years now

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
BirdWatcher;n4612 said:
Is it just me or is anybody else more interested that its reported as Lorenzo doing the talks and not Dana over the fight itself? Maybe because this topic has been beat to death many times over so I'm at the point where I just won't pay much attention until its a go. What stands out to me here is Lorenzo, Cyborg, negotiations and respect. To me that's more interesting, I just feel that Rousey will wait it out until Cyborg looks like Nog in his Nelson fight before she makes a move.

"One thing I can say is that Lorenzo and Zuffa have been very professional during these negotiations," Prajin said. "And they have been respectful to Chris, which is probably what's actually keeping us at the table."

Yeah, Dana got his nuts chopped off about 8 months ago, when fighters started getting approached about the lawsuit and word got it. That's my take on it anyway. Look at the timing...that's about when the scrums stopped and they started hand picking media to do interviews.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
id like to see marloes come to ufc .id also like to see scott coker make a 145lb female division in bellator.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
lorenzo has to negotiate with cyborg.no way can dana do it after he said she looked like wandy in a dress and mocked her gorrilla walk.

Crooklyn

Space Pirate
Jan 21, 2015
I Wild Each It;n4621 said:
Interesting. By sub, KO, or decision?

Decision. Jorina Baars pieced her up good. That's the blueprint. I doubt Ronda can generate the kind of power to KO Cris, but I do think she can get similar results to Jorina's victory if she does her homework, which she likely will. Ronda is a great student of the game and takes good measure of her opponents.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
[video=youtube;3VqGQCYiODo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqGQCYiODo[/video]

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I want to see her fight Rousey, don't even care if it's at 135 for a title.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thatonedude;n4648 said:
LOL me too. I don't care if they both weigh 205.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I Wild Each It;n4655 said:
LOL me too. I don't care if they both weigh 205.
the longer they wait the better it is for rhonda

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
jason73;n4647 said:
[video=youtube;3VqGQCYiODo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqGQCYiODo[/video]
he is such a bum. she isn't the prettiest woman in mma by a long shot, but he didn't need to make fun of her. he needs to learn how to be professional, and pull his head out of his ass. the roid thing, that probably was true, but he doesn't say that shit about the ufc's overly muscled fighters, even if they pissed hot before. he's always going to be a piece of shit.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Personally, I think Cyborg is attractive. Masculine? Yes...but she's sexy to me. Sue me.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thatonedude;n4648 said:
THIS!

I never understood why the powers that be in the UFC didn't just establish a 145lb division(even if thin) and get more fans familiar with Cyborg. If she kept winning while Ronda had kept winning, they could potentially have had an even bigger "Superfight" between the two at whatever weight or division they could mutually agree upon. Seemed shortsighted the way this whole deal has been handled from the jump.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
seekntruth;n4845 said:
THIS!

I never understood why the powers that be in the UFC didn't just establish a 145lb division(even if thin) and get more fans familiar with Cyborg. If she kept winning while Ronda had kept winning, they could potentially have had an even bigger "Superfight" between the two at whatever weight or division they could mutually agree upon. Seemed shortsighted the way this whole deal has been handled from the jump.
Because Cyborg simply is not a star outside of hardcore MMA fans. And she's not a "star" among us, either. She's incredibly divisive, has already turned down a contract with Zuffa that would have allowed her to work her way down to 135, and submitted the biggest joke of a "doctor's note" in MMA history.

"If I try to make 135 I won't be able to have kids."

Let's be adults, brahs. If she doesn't lay off the steroids and stop powerlifting like Sister Steele, then she won't be able to have babies. She won't get to 135 because without her size advantage she is NOTHING.

Cyborg's technique is extremely lacking, both on the feet and on the ground. She fights like a female Wand, which works against 99% of WMMA competitors. She is a below-average grappler, and was twice mounted by Gina Carano. She has no submission game, and relies on that pharmaceutically-enhanced power to get out bad situations. On the feet, she lacks true one-punch KO power (something that even Ronda has shown), and finishes her physically overmatched opponents with flurries of strikes that leave them unable to defend themselves.

Furthermore, a flurrying opponent with a subpar grappling game is tailor-made for Ronda. Do you guys think Cyborg is magically going to develop some counterpunching, circling-away style like Machida in order to defeat Ronda? The VERY FIRST TIME Cyborg comes forward with her "punches in bunches" she's going to get hip-tossed into Bolivia. This may take place several times over the course of a fight, but I don't think Ronda would need more than a round to dispatch Cyborg.

SANTOS KNOWS THIS. All the female talent is at 135, but a very small, yet vocal, minority of MMA fans are clamoring for her to be in the UFC. At what weight? 145? Who would be in a 145-pound division? The second-best 145-pound fighter in the world is 0-2 against Cyborg and is back at 135. Cyborg's entire strategy is very simple, and it surprises me that educated MMA fans are falling for it. Cyborg wants to come to the UFC at 145, squash a couple of fans, and hope for a big payday catchweight fight against Ronda. If Cyborg wanted to make 135 and compete for the title, THE TITLE FIGHT AGAINST RONDA WOULD ALREADY HAVE TAKEN PLACE.

This is never going to happen. Ever.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
I honestly don't see the point. Cyborg has recently given up on making 135, and there aren't nearly enough credible 145 lb women to make even a minimal UFC-level featherweight division. With the positive steroid test, the kickboxing loss to Baars, long MMA layoff, etc., Cyborg's cachet has diminished.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
*Edit* Meant to quote warchild

You're preaching to the choir buddy, I agree with everything you posted. I think Ronda destroys her. I just meant from a promotional perspective I think the UFC could capitalize on the fact that she is "big and scary" looking and also the fact that she is the one who took out Gina.

Regardless of any ones opinion on her, she is still more talked about by mma fans than anyone Ronda has faced to this point except for maybe Tate. That combined with Ronda's draw equals better fight sales.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
BackOffWarchild;n4864 said:
Because Cyborg simply is not a star outside of hardcore MMA fans. And she's not a "star" among us, either. She's incredibly divisive, has already turned down a contract with Zuffa that would have allowed her to work her way down to 135, and submitted the biggest joke of a "doctor's note" in MMA history.

"If I try to make 135 I won't be able to have kids."

Let's be adults, brahs. If she doesn't lay off the steroids and stop powerlifting like Sister Steele, then she won't be able to have babies. She won't get to 135 because without her size advantage she is NOTHING.

Cyborg's technique is extremely lacking, both on the feet and on the ground. She fights like a female Wand, which works against 99% of WMMA competitors. She is a below-average grappler, and was twice mounted by Gina Carano. She has no submission game, and relies on that pharmaceutically-enhanced power to get out bad situations. On the feet, she lacks true one-punch KO power (something that even Ronda has shown), and finishes her physically overmatched opponents with flurries of strikes that leave them unable to defend themselves.

Furthermore, a flurrying opponent with a subpar grappling game is tailor-made for Ronda. Do you guys think Cyborg is magically going to develop some counterpunching, circling-away style like Machida in order to defeat Ronda? The VERY FIRST TIME Cyborg comes forward with her "punches in bunches" she's going to get hip-tossed into Bolivia. This may take place several times over the course of a fight, but I don't think Ronda would need more than a round to dispatch Cyborg.

SANTOS KNOWS THIS. All the female talent is at 135, but a very small, yet vocal, minority of MMA fans are clamoring for her to be in the UFC. At what weight? 145? Who would be in a 145-pound division? The second-best 145-pound fighter in the world is 0-2 against Cyborg and is back at 135. Cyborg's entire strategy is very simple, and it surprises me that educated MMA fans are falling for it. Cyborg wants to come to the UFC at 145, squash a couple of fans, and hope for a big payday catchweight fight against Ronda. If Cyborg wanted to make 135 and compete for the title, THE TITLE FIGHT AGAINST RONDA WOULD ALREADY HAVE TAKEN PLACE.

This is never going to happen. Ever.

Good post man.