UFC to Use "Smell Test" to Help Detect PEDs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Jeff Novitzky, the UFC’s VP of Athlete Health and Performance, said Tuesday on “The Joe Rogan Experience” that a “smell test” of an athlete’s appearance – how he looks – is one tool to detect performance-enhancing drug use and will be utilized by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, the third-party contracted by the UFC earlier this year to conduct in- and out-of-competition testing.

“It’s not random testing; it’s intelligent testing,” Novitzky told host Joe Rogan, a longtime UFC color commentator. “USADA’s not going to say, ‘Hey, we’re going roll the dice and whoever comes up …’ They’re going to look on everything, from tips that they may get – hell, they’ll even look at physical appearances of athletes. Does this athlete pass kind of the physical appearance ‘smell test,’ and if they don’t, hey, maybe we need to test that person a little bit more.”

LINK: UFC’s Jeff Novitzky: ‘Smell test’ among USADA’s tools in rooting out PED offenders | MMAjunkie

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
This is odd...I can't pretend I know a bit about this process...looks like the Reem and Romero better be wearing Deodorant..

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
This is odd...I can't pretend I know a bit about this process...looks like the Reem and Romero better be wearing Deodorant..
Love the term rogan used about ubereem, "moon juice that he was taking"

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Burying the lead. With everything we know about PED use we know that the eyeball test is a poor indicator of PED use. Lots of guys who look like they're in horrible shape have failed tests, and lots of guys that look roided up have passed. Of course, I guess that's what we should expect when a glorified private investigator is put in charge of anti-doping instead of you know, a doctor.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm not saying I agree, but Novitzky has in the past been accused of being jealous of those he investigates.
And I've been accused of having a fat hog, doesn't make it true. And even if he is jealous, why does that matter, he isn't doing good the lab work, collecting samples, etc etc.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Someone who has never competed in anything in life trying to administer tests to professional athletes? yeah that has literally nothing to do with anything right?
Not it doesn't.
Im interested to hear why you feel it does though.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
And I've been accused of having a fat hog, doesn't make it true. And even if he is jealous, why does that matter, he isn't doing good the lab work, collecting samples, etc etc.
He isn't? His entire resume is collecting evidence and sample

Edit: Basically he's been accused of picking and choosing whom he rakes over the coals. The more successful, the more likely he is to go after them. Like I said, I'm not saying I agree, but a guy "who never made it" only targeting the upper echelon calls into question how just the proceedings are.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Who is making these accusations?
The people he was investigating of course. I believe both Armstrong and Bonds were among them. It's been a while since I did my research, they go into in the book "Game of Shadows"

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Not it doesn't.
Im interested to hear why you feel it does though.
Because he's never performed at the peak level? He also hasnt done anything he had to do to become a better athlete. He also has never had to test every supplement he's ever used. it has literally everything to do with this argument. Its the same with other sports, just not as much as MMA. Congress had hearings on steroids, where they have zero idea what they do or how it truly affects the game. but it's okay since Zuffa and government agencies are telling us it's bad.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
The people he was investigating of course. I believe both Armstrong and Bonds were among them. It's been a while since I did my research, they go into in the book "Game of Shadows"
Lol, ok, that was who I thought. It pretty much takes away all credibility to the claims once you know who it is.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Because he's never performed at the peak level? He also hasnt done anything he had to do to become a better athlete. He also has never had to test every supplement he's ever used. it has literally everything to do with this argument. Its the same with other sports, just not as much as MMA. Congress had hearings on steroids, where they have zero idea what they do or how it truly affects the game. but it's okay since Zuffa and government agencies are telling us it's bad.
There are plenty of high level athletes that want a clean sport. Who cares if the investigator has performed as an athlete or not, that isn't his job.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Lol, ok, that was who I thought. It pretty much takes away all credibility to the claims once you know who it is.
Like I said, I didn't say I agreed with it, just saying there have been accusations in the past. I would agree though that you should be striving for transparency, which Novitzky doesn't give off the vibe of.