VID UFC Won't Commit to Luke Rockhold or Jacare Souza for Title Shot Yet

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Dana White refused to commit to either man as the next title challenger in the post-fight press conference from Newark, New Jersey.

We’re in a position right now where we got two guys that looked unbelievable, who could fight for the title next. ... It’s a good problem to have. Who knows how Luke’s going to feel after tonight. Who knows howJacare’s going to feel after tonight. You feel good tonight, but when you go home, we’ll see how everything is, we’ll see how this thing plays out. We’ll see how Vitor vs. Weidmangoes, and we’ll make a decision.

Rockhold, for his part, believes the shot belongs to him after his victory in the night's main event against a former UFC champion in Machida.

"I said it before, I'll say it again: This is my show," Rockhold said. "No offense to Jacare, but I am the No. 1 contender. I'm the best guy around, and it's my title shot. I've dominated everyone in my path. I've beaten Jacare and I deserve it."

Jacare, though, isn't convinced Rockholddeserves to leap over him so easily. He's also not convinced Rockhold deserved the victory in their September 2011 bout under the Strikeforce banner, whereRockhold took home a unanimous decision.

"I believe 100 percent it's my time," Jacare said. "I'm the No. 1 contender. I fought Luke a long time ago. Everybody knows he [didn't] beat me. The judges fight for him...I'm ready for the title. It's my fifth fight in the UFC. Man, I can finish anybody in my division. It's my time."

While Souza and Rockhold can each stake a realistic claim for the title shot, Rockholdis more vocal in his quest for gold, even calling for a fight against Weidman in Madison Square Garden in his post-fight interview with Joe Rogan.

UFC Won't Commit to Luke Rockhold or Jacare Souza for Title Shot Yet | Bleacher Report

Last edited by a moderator:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'd give it to rockhold and then make every effort to market jacare for His next fight. Luke is an easy sell now. Though either deserves it.