UK Comedy Fans?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
In the explain your avatar thread, there was a bit of talk about sitcoms from across the pond. I was wondering if there were many other fans of the genre here, so I figured I'd make this thread to list a few of my favorites, and why I like them. Hopefully it will introduce some of you to something new to enjoy, and I'm hoping to maybe learn about some shows I haven't seen before.

The first britcom I ever watched was the classic The Young Ones. It's about four filthy college students and their surreal life. Neal the hippie, Vyvyan the punk, (p)Rick the wannabe anarchist, and Mike the self-proclaimed cool one.
As an added bonus, the makers learned they could get more funding from the BBC if they were a variety show rather than a comedy, so there was a musical performance thrown randomly into every episode. Motorhead, Madness, and Dexy's Midnight Runners are among the performers.
Some of the stars went on to do the series Bottom and Filthy Rich & Catflap, which I have never watched, for some reason.

Are You Being Served is about the staff of a posh department store in the 70's. It's fairly straightforward comedy, somewhat notable for having an openly(?) gay character who is just one of the gang. Mrs. Slocombe is probably my favorite character.

Absolutely Fabulous is the story of a vain, going-to-seed fashion designer, her straitlaced daughter, and her man-hungry, boozy, druggy, best friend.

The Mighty Boosh is another surreal comedy starring Howard Moon, a serious jazz enthusiast who isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and his fashionista, airhead, buddy Vince Noir. The first series takes place in the Zooniverse, while the latter two series are based out of the Nabootique, a second hand store.

Black Books is a series I'm just starting to watch. It stars the guy who is probably best known in North America as the asshole who is in love with Shaun's girlfriend in Shaun of the Dead, as Bernard Black. He plays a drunk book store owner who hires a hyperactive accountant played by comedian Bill Bailey.
One of my favorite early scenes has Bernard inviting in a pair of Jesus freaks who come to his door, because it is less horrible than doing his taxes. When he asks them what they want to tell him about Jesus, they are baffled. "We've never gotten this far before".
He gets them hammered and teaches them a bit about the bible before they stagger on their way.
-------------------​
Well, that turned out longer than I thought it would, so I'll stop there. Anyone else have any favorites?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Slocombe

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
In the explain your avatar thread, there was a bit of talk about sitcoms from across the pond. I was wondering if there were many other fans of the genre here, so I figured I'd make this thread to list a few of my favorites, and why I like them. Hopefully it will introduce some of you to something new to enjoy, and I'm hoping to maybe learn about some shows I haven't seen before.

The first britcom I ever watched was the classic The Young Ones. It's about four filthy college students and their surreal life. Neal the hippie, Vyvyan the punk, (p)Rick the wannabe anarchist, and Mike the self-proclaimed cool one.
As an added bonus, the makers learned they could get more funding from the BBC if they were a variety show rather than a comedy, so there was a musical performance thrown randomly into every episode. Motorhead, Madness, and Dexy's Midnight Runners are among the performers.
Some of the stars went on to do the series Bottom and Filthy Rich & Catflap, which I have never watched, for some reason.

Are You Being Served is about the staff of a posh department store in the 70's. It's fairly straightforward comedy, somewhat notable for having an openly(?) gay character who is just one of the gang. Mrs. Slocombe is probably my favorite character.

Absolutely Fabulous is the story of a vain, going-to-seed fashion designer, her straitlaced daughter, and her man-hungry, boozy, druggy, best friend.

The Mighty Boosh is another surreal comedy starring Howard Moon, a serious jazz enthusiast who isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and his fashionista, airhead, buddy Vince Noir. The first series takes place in the Zooniverse, while the latter two series are based out of the Nabootique, a second hand store.

Black Books is a series I'm just starting to watch. It stars the guy who is probably best known in North America as the asshole who is in love with Shaun's girlfriend in Shaun of the Dead, as Bernard Black. He plays a drunk book store owner who hires a hyperactive accountant played by comedian Bill Bailey.
One of my favorite early scenes has Bernard inviting in a pair of Jesus freaks who come to his door, because it is less horrible than doing his taxes. When he asks them what they want to tell him about Jesus, they are baffled. "We've never gotten this far before".
He gets them hammered and teaches them a bit about the bible before they stagger on their way.
-------------------​
Well, that turned out longer than I thought it would, so I'll stop there. Anyone else have any favorites?
Check out people just do nothing......pretty funny
People Just Do Nothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Although I don't think I saw the second movie yet

Idk I'm not sure

CaffeineBomb

Sep 8, 2015
One that used to be huge over here and I still love was Allo' Allo!, a farcical BBC sitcom set in a French village during WW2. Incompetent & corrupt Germans, idiotic English airmen trying to avoid capture, resistance groups largely made up of hot women who often wasted time bickering between each other. The main character is a cafe owner who's busy cheating on his wife with almost every women he meets and it has a multi-series arc about a looted painting known as "The fallen Madonna with the big boobies".

As a brit who grew up being taught french from a young age, my favourite running joke is that the French characters all speak with a slight accent, but perfectly understandable while the British undercover agent has an utterly abominable accent.

Feb 28, 2015
Love UK Comedy...and UK Dramas and UK Crime shows, haha love it all. Have been a fan of UK tv since I was young and saw Monty Python. I also loved Catherine Tate's shows, she's amazing with all the characters.

I loved AbFab, I had the whole series on VHS, haha! I still go back and watch it over again, too funny.

Some others I'll be looking to check out soon, thanks!

Rum

Sep 7, 2015
The Young Ones and Bottom were huge for me as a kid. Blackadder too.

Later on I fell in love with Alan Partridge, and then The Office and The Mighty Boosh.

These days Peep Show is probably my favourite. Those guys are some kind of genius.

Rum

Sep 7, 2015
I liked League of Gentlemen a lot too.

Speaking of shows featuring Mark Gatiss, you reminded me of a ludicrous but magnificent Brit show called Nighty Night featuring Gatiss and lead by Julia Davis, who happens to be the wife of Julian Barrett from The Mighty Boosh.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GZZTlZtB5c

I never see it mentioned, so I may be the only person in the world (apart from my wife) who's ever watched it, but I'm mentioning it now.

Edit: Julia is Julian's wife, not Julian.

Last edited:

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Ive heard the IT crowd is supposed to be funny. Anyone watch it?

Thinking about checking it out.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
red dwarf is awesome.

love the backwards episode where they have bruises and are beaten up and as the episode progresses they all heal before the bar fight.

also them going to the washroom backwards. heh.
Best episodes involve ace rimmer for me.

I do love backwards tho

I a have seen every episode at least 4 times I reckon. At least . I fucking love that shit

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Best episodes involve ace rimmer for me.

I do love backwards tho

I a have seen every episode at least 4 times I reckon. At least . I fucking love that shit
love that episode where they get a new computer and it turns out to be a mean guy and they all get bullied.

I heard they had brought the show back, but then I saw Lister on Coronation Street. Not sure if they ended or if hes doing 2 shows.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
love that episode where they get a new computer and it turns out to be a mean guy and they all get bullied.

I heard they had brought the show back, but then I saw Lister on Coronation Street. Not sure if they ended or if hes doing 2 shows.
Yea mang they have been back twice. First as a 3 episode special and then as a 6 episode series. 3 ep was meh. 6 ep was fucking dope. Back to the golden days I loved it. I bet you could download it. If not check out red dwarf moose on youtube (make sure it's the long version) that's the first of the 6

Goldie Wilson III

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
" The Thick of it" and especially the spin off movie "In the Loop" which I feel is the best comedy I have seen in the last 5 years. Was also a pretty big fan of the original UK version of the office.

Not sure if this allowed or not but the Youtubes just so happen to have In the Loop on its website right now.

Rum

Sep 7, 2015
" The Thick of it" and especially the spin off movie "In the Loop" which I feel is the best comedy I have seen in the last 5 years. Was also a pretty big fan of the original UK version of the office.

Not sure if this allowed or not but the Youtubes just so happen to have In the Loop on its website right now.

Don't know how I forgot to mention The Thick of It, especially since I'm also currently a big fan of Ianucci's Veep, but yes sir, I did love me some The Thick of It.