General UK Goes into Full Lockdown for November

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Breaking news.

It's embargoed but I will give you guys the scoop.

Starting from Monday, there is talk he may cede to Wednesday but it's likely Monday the UK goes back into full lockdown.

Will be announced in 4 hours

M

member 3289

France, Belgium, the UK. Any other European countries under lockdown?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
As someone who just emerged from the world's strictest lockdown, you have my deepest sympathies

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
What's that mean?
First of all, the government does not have the power to mandate things like this, so it's down to the 16 states themselves. But they have a kinda consensus with only small variations from state to state.

In short, for the whole of November, everything "leisure" is closed (bars, restaurants, cinemas, touristic travel etc.), and big events will not happen.
Everything else is open, including schools. Takeout from restaurants allowed, retail has to have a strict hygienic concept.

And you are only allowed to meet up with 10 peepz max, even outside.
In some parts of bigger cities masks are now mandated even out in the open. That is down to the cities tho.

I expect some of those rules to be thrown out by judges though. They already tried to shut down touristic travel from "risk-areas", and that didn't hold up for example. We will see.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
First of all, the government does not have the power to mandate things like this, so it's down to the 16 states themselves. But they have a kinda consensus with only small variations from state to state.

In short, for the whole of November, everything "leisure" is closed (bars, restaurants, cinemas, touristic travel etc.), and big events will not happen.
Everything else is open, including schools. Takeout from restaurants allowed, retail has to have a strict hygienic concept.

In some parts of bigger cities masks are now mandated even out in the open. That is down to the cities tho.

I expect some of those rules to be thrown out by judges though. They already tried to shut down touristic travel from "risk-areas", and that didn't hold up for example. We will see.
What's it take for you to get a test? Require a doctor or...?
How much notice were you given for November shutdown? Does the government do anything to assist in prep -- we had supply chain issues -- so like help bolster supply chains knowing this is coming?

When this all started the idea was to knock things down with a lockdown because we got caught with our pants down, ramp up testing, get people back to life. Then mobilize full national resources to hotspot areas only forcing regional variations until a vaccine. This stops low risk areas from getting caught in sloppy lockdowns due to high risk areas in a shotgun approach that has its own negatives. But it sounds like you guys are doing everything all at once all over again -- I assume some areas have a lot of case and hospitalization increase and some areas are not?

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
I’m pretty sure the WHO has now come out saying that the lockdowns/shutdowns are creating a worse problem than the virus itself.

M

member 1013

Is it true dat Angela is super mad at Emmanuel rite now?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I’m pretty sure the WHO has now come out saying that the lockdowns/shutdowns are creating a worse problem than the virus itself.
Not exactly.
WHO has, as everyone has, acknowledged the harm of lockdowns and encouraged leaders to stop using them as their primary intervention.
But this requires some other interventions to be available. Many countries have failed to use lockdown and slow spread times to ramp up the infrastructure needed to stop using this sloppy sledgehammer.

Unfortunately this statement by the WHO has been used by many people with their own agendas outside of public health to champion their own voices.

Examples, context, and WHO statements here:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
What's it take for you to get a test? Require a doctor or...?
How much notice were you given for November shutdown? Does the government do anything to assist in prep -- we had supply chain issues -- so like help bolster supply chains knowing this is coming?

When this all started the idea was to knock things down with a lockdown because we got caught with our pants down, ramp up testing, get people back to life. Then mobilize full national resources to hotspot areas only forcing regional variations until a vaccine. This stops low risk areas from getting caught in sloppy lockdowns due to high risk areas in a shotgun approach that has its own negatives. But it sounds like you guys are doing everything all at once all over again -- I assume some areas have a lot of case and hospitalization increase and some areas are not?
I could get a test if I felt like it, but I'd had to pay myself unless a doctor or health ministry orders it.
But basically if you call your doctor saying you had contact with an infected person you'll get it.
Speed tests are being rolled out now for hospitals and elderly homes and the likes. They don't have to pay.

Notice on the lockdown was from Wednesday to Monday.
I didn't hear anything about supply chain issues in general, other than that at the beginning of it all talk about masks and funnily enough yeast being scarce.

Businesses being locked down and people affected not being able to work (live musicians, event workers for example), are being helped with 75% of their normal income. But still some people will fall through the cracks.
Health workers and other system-relevant personnel have gotten bonuses.

The non-shotgun approach focusing on regional outbreaks was in place all the time and still is, but the general situation worsened enough to do this now.
Goal is not to have hospitals overrun in a couple of weeks. Capacity is generally still high, but we do not have enough people working those jobs unfortunately.

Is it true dat Angela is super mad at Emmanuel rite now?
Is she? Haven't heard anything about it.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
+++++++++Breaking News+++++++++++

But only for you lot.

Lockdown will end December 2nd

M

member 1013

I could get a test if I felt like it, but I'd had to pay myself unless a doctor or health ministry orders it.
But basically if you call your doctor saying you had contact with an infected person you'll get it.
Speed tests are being rolled out now for hospitals and elderly homes and the likes. They don't have to pay.

Notice on the lockdown was from Wednesday to Monday.
I didn't hear anything about supply chain issues in general, other than that at the beginning of it all talk about masks and funnily enough yeast being scarce.

Businesses being locked down and people affected not being able to work (live musicians, event workers for example), are being helped with 75% of their normal income. But still some people will fall through the cracks.
Health workers and other system-relevant personnel have gotten bonuses.

The non-shotgun approach focusing on regional outbreaks was in place all the time and still is, but the general situation worsened enough to do this now.
Goal is not to have hospitals overrun in a couple of weeks. Capacity is generally still high, but we do not have enough people working those jobs unfortunately.

Is she? Haven't heard anything about it.
I’m just assuming

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Not exactly.
WHO has, as everyone has, acknowledged the harm of lockdowns and encouraged leaders to stop using them as their primary intervention.
But this requires some other interventions to be available. Many countries have failed to use lockdown and slow spread times to ramp up the infrastructure needed to stop using this sloppy sledgehammer.

Unfortunately this statement by the WHO has been used by many people with their own agendas outside of public health to champion their own voices.

Examples, context, and WHO statements here:
Thanks for the clarification.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The people got what they voted for.
Speaking of votes, where's the new lockdown GP?

Have you been drinking that UK tap water?? You know fish have sex in that and they don't even clean it. Get some fiji water down ya, and start a new GP.

Lockdown is coming

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Speaking of votes, where's the new lockdown GP?

Have you been drinking that UK tap water?? You know fish have sex in that and they don't even clean it. Get some fiji water down ya, and start a new GP.

Lockdown is coming

If it bleeds we can kill it.