Lifestyle "Umami" isnt real.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
It just isnt. It's stupid. You cook food, season it well, and it's good food. Talking about the 6th sense of umami is just fucking stupid. I want to punch anyone who pretends to understand or acknowledge it in their stupid face.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It's in fermented fish sauce. The Romans knew about it, ain't some new shit and you being a faux hipster is just as sad as the hipsters, stop trying to be counterculture you old cunts.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
It's in fermented fish sauce. The Romans knew about it, ain't some new shit and you being a faux hipster is just as sad as the hipsters, stop trying to be counterculture you old cunts.
It isn’t. It’s some fannyung about stupid term.
I use fish sauce all the time, I don’t call it”umami”.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
My red quinoa salad with wilted kale spinach and chard with blackened salmon would make you cum.

Edit; forgot roasted corn, and occasionally blistered tomatoes.

Last edited:

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
You should post all the time. Make the mOds work for their money.
I do. Both Splinty and Leigh have chastised me for it. I speak truth, and that often makes people butthurt. The butthurt ones can fuck right the fuck off.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It's literally a core taste that has a specific scientifically identified receptor and pathway.
I’m a bit of a snobby foodie and it drives me nuts too.
Do you get angry when someone claims that sour exists too?

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
It's literally a core taste that has a specific scientifically identified receptor and pathway.

Do you get angry when someone claims that sour exists too?
Are we going to have a falling out about this? ; )
I've been into and been good at South East Asian cooking for 10 or so years now, I know my "sour" element.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Are we going to have a falling out about this? ; )
I've been into and been good at South East Asian cooking for 10 or so years now, I know my "sour" element.
We fell out when you started acting extra consonants to your words.

Be into SEA cooking all you want. There's still literally papers published about the exact flavor and pathway and it can be triggered in controlled environment...just like sour or sweet.

The OP is a no evidence straw man. There's no discussion here.
Glutamate hits distinct receptors and creates a distinctly different taste of 'savoriness'. To argue otherwise is to argue that no distinct tastes exist because having distinct taste bud receptors that respond to specific molecular structure doesn't matter and/or doesn't exist.