Lifestyle "Umami" isnt real.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
We fell out when you started acting extra consonants to your words.

Be into SEA cooking all you want. There's still literally papers published about the exact flavor and pathway and it can be triggered in controlled environment...just like sour or sweet.

The OP is a no evidence straw man. There's no discussion here.
Glutamate hits distinct receptors and creates a distinctly different taste of 'savoriness'. To argue otherwise is to argue that no distinct tastes exist because having distinct taste bud receptors that respond to specific molecular structure doesn't matter and/or doesn't exist.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It just isnt.
Strong Argument

It's stupid.
Stronger!

You cook food, season it well, and it's good food.
I cook bad food

Talking about the 6th sense of umami is just fucking stupid.
Luckily no one actually does that. It's a distinct taste, not a sense.

I want to punch anyone who pretends to understand or acknowledge it in their stupid face.
I can imagine that kind of sensation.

The receptors and cells for mammalian taste. - PubMed - NCBI

Novel Umami Ingredients: Umami Peptides and Their Taste. - PubMed - NCBI

Contribution of umami taste substances in human salivation during meal. - PubMed - NCBI

Functional neuroimaging of umami taste: what makes umami pleasant? - PubMed - NCBI

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Lies.

Quit provoking me for the sake of provocation.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
I hear MREs are getting better. I have 2 containers of Wise Company mre food supplies. Each container has 84 servings.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I was wrong. I just want to say I was wrong for the first time ever on the forum after posting a weird rant thread
It's cool man. Happens to all of us. At least you didn't just ignore the reality or try to change the subject when someone responds to your position.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
It's cool man. Happens to all of us. At least you didn't just ignore the reality or try to change the subject when someone responds to your position.
Why do you dislike me? I am an MMA historian who has trained with Carlson Gracie and Pan Am gold medalist Mike Rose. I know my shit, and love fighting more than "the sport"

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Why do you dislike me? I am an MMA historian who has trained with Carlson Gracie and Pan Am gold medalist Mike Rose. I know my shit, and love fighting more than "the sport"

Is this your way of saying that Umami is a distinct scientifically proven taste?

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Is this your way of saying that Umami is a distinct scientifically proven taste?
How does one scientifically prove a taste? There are people who can't stand moderate peppers, yet there are people like me that can eat cerranos or habaneros like candy regardless of the gastrointestinal ramifications that I know will come after.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
@mix did you just say you want to punch me?
Not at all. You're one of my favorite posters here. We may not always agree, and often I find your language confusing, but I would totally smoke a joint and have a few beers with you along with a bowl of some spicy noodle dish.