Unbeaten Ed Ruth drops to welterweight, booked for Bellator 196 main card

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

A welterweight bout between Ed Ruth and Laszlo Furko is the final addition to April’s Bellator 196 main-card lineup.

A Bellator official today revealed the matchup between Ruth (4-0 MMA, 4-0 BMMA) and Furko (6-3 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) to MMAjunkie.

Bellator 196 will take place April 6 at Budapest Sports Arena in Budapest, Hungary, and will air on Paramount via same-day delay.

Ruth, a three-time NCAA collegiate wrestling champion, started off his MMA career in a 192-pound catchweight bout. Since then he’s slowly inched down to the middleweight division, but at Bellator 196 will test his luck at welterweight for the first time.

After his successful career in wrestling, “Easy Ed” has made a relatively smooth transition to MMA. Ruth, 27, won all four of his fights by TKO, including a second-round finish of UFC veteran Chris Dempsey in his most recent bout at Bellator 186 in November.

Looking to pull off what would be a sizable upset against Ruth is Furko, a Hungarian fighter who will make his Bellator debut at the event. The 28-year-old has won three of his past four fights by first-round stoppage and has finished his opponent inside the distance in all of his career wins.

Also confirmed for the Bellator 196 lineup is a lone preliminary-card matchup in the middleweight division pitting Norbert Novenyi Jr. (2-0 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) against Mehmet Yueksel (2-3 MMA, 0-0 BMMA).

The finalized Bellator 196 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Paramount)
  • Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta
  • Adam Borics vs. Manuel Gaxhja
  • Denise Kielholtz vs. Lena Ovchynnikova
  • Giorgio Belsanti vs. Brian Moore
  • Laszlo Furko vs. Ed Ruth

Full story here: Unbeaten Ed Ruth drops to welterweight, booked for Bellator 196 main card

T

The Big Guy

Thats a good card for bellator. Well the main and the ruth fight anyway

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I like Ed Ruth as much as I can like any wrestler who didn't wrestle at Iowa.
I hope Bellator keeps bringing him up in the promotion, and gives him a serious push when he's ready.

T

The Big Guy

I like Ed Ruth as much as I can like any wrestler who didn't wrestle at Iowa.
I hope Bellator keeps bringing him up in the promotion, and gives him a serious push when he's ready.
He could be the next woodley or cormier. Coker brings wrestlers along at the right speed

T

The Big Guy

Honestly that a below average bellator card. They usually have stronger lineups.
I changed my mind mid post.

I thought for a second one of the hw tourny fights was also on there. I dont care much about the pretty blonde tho

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Honestly that a below average bellator card. They usually have stronger lineups.
It's half MMA and half kickboxing, aired on tape delay. There's always a few good fights, but they usually don't stack those cards.

Last edited:

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Adding Ruth to WW is great for Bellator. He’s basically in his physical prime, so I hope they start giving him a bigger push and stiffer tests

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Adding Ruth to WW is great for Bellator. He’s basically in his physical prime, so I hope they start giving him a bigger push and stiffer tests