Cinema Undeserved Oscars

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Jumping off this conversation in another thread

Sean Penn once went "Full Retard" and lost an Oscar. So he decided to scale it back in 2008, and just go for a bad lisp that was on par with Keanu Reeves southern accent in 'The Devil's Advocate' for cringe worthy vocalizations.

And for it, Sean Penn got his Oscar. A true act of flagrant Oscarbation.

The deserved winner that lost?

Mickey Rourke.

Rourke turned this ugly cat-woman mug into an asset:

And with it, he channeled a perfect embodiment of a B league wrestler attempting to regain his glory days. Destroyed by drugs, steroids, and painkillers for the work the fans love, the whole thing is a perfect amalgamation of Macho Man and the self flagellation of Mick Foley. Better yet, the movie parallels his own resurrection as a hollywood star, ruined with excess, startling to look at, and still addicted to the work.

Did I mention that he brought us a nude Marisa Tomei?? Ever since she recognized that lack of positraction, I've been waiting!

So who else should have received an oscar, but got screwed?

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Crash winning Best Picture at the 2006 Oscars blows my mind. Complete garbage. Check out the film called Crash made in '96 about people who get sexually turned on by car crashes. That's a great flick.

Ang Lee winning Best Director for Life of Pi. GTFO. Paul Thomas Anderson didn't even get nominated for The Master. L oh fucking L. At least when Ben Affleck won a Golden Globe that year he acknowledged how ridiculous it was that Paul wasn't nominated and called him the Orson Welles of our generation.

Whiplash over Birdman for Best Picture at the 2015 Oscars imo.

The King's Speech winning Best Picture in 2011. GTFO

Sandra Bullock winning Best Actress for The Blind Side. GTFO.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Sean Penn Best Actor for Mystic River? GTFO. Gimme Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.

Michael Caine winning Best Supporting Actor in Cider House Rules? GTFO. Gimme Tom Cruise in Magnolia. If you haven't seen his performance in that, stop what you're doing and watch it.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Crash winning Best Picture at the 2006 Oscars blows my mind. Complete garbage. Check out the film called Crash made in '96 about people who get sexually turned on by car crashes. That's a great flick.

Ang Lee winning Best Director for Life of Pi. GTFO. Paul Thomas Anderson didn't even get nominated for The Master. L oh fucking L. At least when Ben Affleck won a Golden Globe that year he acknowledged how ridiculous it was that Paul wasn't nominated and called him the Orson Welles of our generation.

Whiplash over Birdman for Best Picture at the 2015 Oscars imo.

The King's Speech winning Best Picture in 2011. GTFO

Sandra Bullock winning Best Actress for The Blind Side. GTFO.
Life of Pi was a great book. I reckon there's a lot of nepotism overlap in the arts.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Tom Cruise not winning best actor for his work in Tropic Thunder....gtfo, that was by far his best acting work.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
I would disagree that Ang Lee's direction on Life of Pi didn't deserve it it certainly did . Also Kings speech was well put together and a great movie.

The wrestler and Rourke should have won

Winner: 1977 Annie Hall - Star Wars

1988 was a tough year to call wow what a list as was 1989

Winner: Shakespeare in love - saving Private Ryan

Winner: Chicago- IMO the Pianist was a masterpiece

The year Crash won they didn't even nominate Batman begins or Walk the line

Winner:The Departed- The Queen. Honestly departed was a cover song it was just a remake of a better movie that was Infernal affairs.

Winner: 12 years a slave - wolf of wall st

Winner: spotlight - The Martian

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I think Dicarprio should've gotten one for this boys life. That shit was insane and he nailed it.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Renee Zellweger, Best Supporting Actress, Cold Mountain
Victor Fleming, Best Director, Gone with the Wind

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
All of them. it's just a Hollywood ass kissing session.

Sean Penn made a baby with Princess Buttercup. The daughter is smoking. Will post pics when at PC.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Speaking of Tom Hanks, the only time I ever watched Castaway I was tripping on mushrooms. Good flick.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Movies that didn't get Oscars:
The Matrix
Thor
Interstellar
Rocky IV (or III)
Inception
The Martian
V for Vendetta

Therefore, ANY movie that DID win an Oscar didn't deserve to.

Honestly, I don't think I've enjoyed any movie that won an Oscar. It's a great review which tells you a movie is yawn-o-rama.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
While DiCaprio probably deserved an Oscar he didn't deserve one for the revenant. While that movie was visually stunning, the story, pacing, and acting were meh....

Even more egregious that year was Stallone not winning for Creed.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'll take a 500-page thread so we can drown out chit chat and song2's weird foot obsession.
Let's be honest

Unless it's written by me it unlikely any thread on here will hit 50 pages.

The exception would be in regard to my untimely demise and looking back fondly at my life and times as commander in chief off topic

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The fact that Gladiator gets to be mentioned in the same sentence as films like The Godfather or The Deer Hunter is unforgivable. That's when I gave up on the Oscars. The nominees were thin that year and Requiem for a Dream wasn't one of them, which is criminal.

1993 Oscar going to Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman was similarly disgraceful. Sympathy Oscar after his having been passed over so many times, but the beginning of his turn to yelling annoying Al instead of the more nuanced actor he'd previously been. Denzel Washington should have won for Malcolm X and it's not even close, though Stephen Rea in The Crying Game may have been acceptable too.