Uriah Hall:I Was Bullied So Badly, I Considered Killing Myself

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I was 14 years old and my life was over. At least, I wanted it to be.

You see me now on television, striking people in the face or kicking them in the head. I’m one of the best middleweights in the UFC, the biggest MMA organization on the planet. And it all almost never happened. None of it.

Sixteen years ago, I had given up. I didn’t want to continue with my life. I wanted it all to end, and I came very close to making sure it would. I don’t speak of it often — mostly because the man I am today has changed so much from the boy who thought so little of himself — but I hope by sharing my story, it will empower others to stand up for themselves, to believe in their abilities and their worth, and to realize how important they are.

I moved from the Caribbean nation of Jamaica to Queens, New York, when I was 13. Compared to everyone else I met, everything about me was different when I came to the United States. How I dressed. How I acted. My accent. My skin color. And when you’re different, people are scared of you. I realize now, many years later, that it was others’ own insecurity that created their fear, but back then, I felt like it was my weakness, not theirs.

Almost immediately after we arrived, the torment began.

Long before more than a million people watched a YouTube video of me knocking a guy out with a kick, I was a victim of systematic and severe bullying. It didn’t matter that my mother came to this country in search of a better life for our family; those who tormented me couldn’t have cared less. Their fear, their hatred, their ignorance, their complete and utter lack of humanity overshadowed any chance I would have (or so I thought) at experiencing the American Dream, like so many immigrants had before me.

Over time, the bullying became so aggressive and was so relentless, I got to the point where I simply did not want to go to school anymore. I started cutting class, and lying to my mom about where I had been. I fell behind, and when the overwhelming guilt and shame finally would motivate me to go back to school, I would find myself hopelessly lost and too far behind to make sense of the classwork.

Avoiding the bullying was the only thing I cared about. There were days where I literally could not get out of bed in the morning because of the fear inside me. Eventually, as things got worse, I began to have violent thoughts. I considered hurting other people, which, despite my current profession, is not something that is in my nature.

View: https://medium.com/the-cauldron/i-was-bullied-so-badly-i-considered-killing-myself-26bb4075dae9

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Such a good dude. Shame any kid goes thru that growing up. Starting my youngest in martial arts in 2 weeks.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Swear I was just gonna make a thread about Hall..Hes gonna flat line Natal...Natal is too flatfooted..hes gonna throw a sloppy flatfooted hook series and Uriah has his ass burnin the ground MARK MY WORDS..

P

Punch

People on TUF were legit scared of this guy and for good reason. Good dude too. Actually apologized in the cage to his opponent. That tripped me out.

P

Punch

Natal looked like he was trying to bully him at the weigh ins. I wonder how that's gonna go for him. :rolleyes:

Feb 28, 2015
Then there was this fuckin guy on twitter, this was his reply to the story :mad: I mean REALLY??!?? What is wrong with human beings?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Then there was this fuckin guy on twitter, this was his reply to the story :mad: I mean REALLY??!?? What is wrong with human beings?

Dorks w/ low self esteem. It makes them feel good to try and bring others down to their shitty existence. Probably bullied himself. Needs attention. Entitlement issues - thinks they deserve to be heard. You name it....

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
How the fuc- do you tweet, I can't remember. I use Twitter once a year. I'm going to tweet this fuc-ing twat and anyone who is following me can unfollow so you aren't associated but I want to hear what his stupid as- has to say.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

I messaged that I was going to "respond" to him on Twitter but frankly, he is just a 2 bit loser that looks and seems like he has some serious insecurity issues. If he lives in the UK (have no idea) quite happy to "discuss" in more detail.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Man that is rough. I wonder if he ever ran into the guys that bullied him when they were younger.

I remember GSP said he ran into one of his bullies at the mall recently and the guy was too afraid to even make eye contact.

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
Should always stand your ground. Even if you lose the fight you will gain little respect. If you let someone push you around with no resistance they will keep on doing it. That's just from my own personal experience.

Glad Uriah overcame that hurdle in his life and became a great fighter.