Urijah Faber: Bryan Caraway backed out of a fight with me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Add Urijah Faber to the list of fighters who don't like Bryan Caraway.

The former WEC featherweight champion thought he had a main event fight lined up with Miesha Tate's boyfriend at the TUF 22 Finale in Las Vegas on Dec. 11. But according to Faber, the brash Caraway backed out of the fight.

"We did have someone that backed out of the fight, for whatever reason," Faber said Wednesday. "We were supposed to actually headline, it was supposed to be Caraway and I headlining the TUF Finale and he didn't take the fight."

While not outright questioning Caraway's courage, Faber went out of his way to note that Caraway's last fight, at UFC on FOX 16, was against Eddie Wineland, who had contemplated retirement after a broken jaw before accepting the fight; and he's now angling for a matchup with Michael McDonald, who has been out for nearly two years since losing to Faber at UFC on FOX 9.

"He brought Eddie Wineland out of retirement who had broken his jaw and decided he was done fighting, and Caraway calls him out," Faber said. "Now he's calling out Michael McDonald, who we haven't seen since he vanished like a fart in the wind after our fight. So, you know, if you want to step up, let's do it. So yeah, he didn't take the fight."

Instead, Faber will fight Frankie Saenz at UFC 194, who's 3-0 in the UFC bantamweight division, but will be stepping into, by far, his biggest career spotlight. Faber said he's not concerned with the disparity in name recognition.

"This guy stepped up and I appreciate that," Faber said. "For me, I treat everyone like an equal. Whether they're a fighter or someone on the street, whatever it is. I'm going to take it seriously."
Urijah Faber: Bryan Caraway backed out of a fight with me - MMA Fighting

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He should have taken the fight. That's literally the only time Caraway will ever be offered the opportunity to headline a UFC card.

CRE

Posting Machine
Apr 24, 2015
Embarrassing for Caraway to not take that fight.

It's a winnable fight for him.

This is why Urijah Faber is a multi-millionaire and Tate is the bread winner for the Tate's.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Caraway earned my respect this last outing or 2.

I don't think he should be fighting UriJah yet though

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I like Caraway. Not as a fighter but person.
He brought the locker rooms together and helped create bonuses.
He'd be a good voice in the lawsuit, if he were wronged.
Pretty safe bet he'll never see gold in a cage/ring. But definitely successful in life.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I like this facet of Faber not the egomaniac I suspect him of being based on his treatment of Bang's success as a coach and his squashing of a TAM podcast because it wasn't his. Just his training partners and supposed friends podcast that didn't use his gym's name.

CaffeineBomb

Sep 8, 2015
Avoiding fighting Faber if he can is probably a smart career move. He's not at that level yet and up until the Edgar fight, Faber never lost a fight that wasn't for a belt.

Faber's had a distinct tendency to stop potential title contenders runs in their tracks, his solid #2/#3 position in that division is probably part of the reason there's no clear challengers for TJ's belt now he's definitively dealt with Barao. Sure, he lost the Edgar fight, but there's no way in hell that's a performance Caraway can replicate.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He should've taken the fight. Faber would be a big test to really gauge where's he's at and it would be his biggest fight as far as exposure. No shame in losing to a guy like Faber.