Urijah Faber has some financial advice for Conor McGregor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Urijah Faber is known as one of the smartest businessmen in mixed martial arts.

Faber rode a wave as the sport’s first popular lighter-weight fighter during his run as WEC featherweight champion, and he leveraged his time in the spotlight to the hilt. Faber runs the successful Team Alpha Male gym in Sacramento, made plenty of money in outside sponsorships, particularly with the Torque clothing line, and invests in real estate and other ventures so his finances remain secure when his fighting days inevitably end.

Conor McGregor, on the other hand, seems to be spending his paychecks as fast as they come in, and isn’t afraid to flaunt his newfound affluence. The 27-year-old McGregor, who coaches against Faber on the new season of "The Ultimate Fighter," which debuted Wednesday on FOX Sports 1, always makes sure to be seen in the finest clothes and the most expensive cars.

View gallery

But the 36-year-old Faber has a word of advice for the UFC's current flavor of the month: The ride doesn’t last forever.

“You can make a lot of money,” Faber said at a Wednesday media event. “But the key is how much you can hang on to.”

Faber, like anyone who pays even remote attention to the UFC, has seen McGregor not only yap about his high-end material purchases, but also how he has taken to thumbing his nose at the sport’s have-nots. Faber believes McGregor would be best served turning the volume down and told him so on the TUF set.

“I said 'Bro, take it down,'” Faber said. “Take the 16,000-square foot rental down to an 8,000-foot rental, you know? He’ll figure out, he’s a smart enough guy. But, I mean, don’t be rubbing it in other people’s face that you’re acting like you got a ton of money yet. What you think is a ton of money isn’t a ton of money.”

The fighter nicknamed “The California Kid” wasn’t the first choice to coach against McGregor on the current season of TUF. The original plan was for McGregor, whether he won or lost to Jose Aldo at UFC 189, to then coach against Chad Mendes, with the two fighting at the end of the show. But when Mendes had to sub for Aldo at UFC 189 and McGregor won via second-round TKO, there was no point continuing with Plan A.

Up stepped Faber. Both McGregor and Faber indicated they want to square off this fall’s UFC event in Dublin, but the UFC stuck with the rescheduled McGregor vs. Aldo at UFC 194.

For his part, Faber feels the UFC didn’t want to put him in the cage with McGregor in part because Faber is a submission artist – 19 of his 32 wins are by way of tapout – and both of McGregor’s career defeats have come via submission.

“I was going to go to Ireland, and he wanted a fight over in Ireland also,” Faber said. “Dana said, 'You’re not going to fight,' this and that. It makes sense. I have the most submissions in the history of the sport and he’s tapped to a kneebar in a minute-something, a choke by someone else. He was going to fighting Aldo, so it was what it was. I don’t think Conor’s scared of anything. He’s game to fight. The UFC brass is walking gingerly around it.”

So what we’re left with is a decent consolation prize: McGregor coaching a team of European fighters against Faber coaching a North American team. It could be one of the more entertaining seasons of the long-lived show, as McGregor obviously loves the cameras and Faber is quick-witted in his comebacks.

Urijah Faber and Conor McGregor famously tussled before the UFC 189 weigh-in.

In a way, Faber came to admire the Irish star over the course of the six weeks of TUF taping. McGregor might be bombastic, but according to Faber, he’s not a phony.

“Conor’s intelligent approaching these things,” Faber said. “But he’s not being fake. He believes it.”

Faber used McGregor’s performance at last Friday’s star-laden “Go Big” news conference in Las Vegas as an example. Many felt McGregor crossed the line during the event, as he frequently interjected into other people’s conversations, made an untoward comment about lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos’ wife, and all but goaded Donald Cerrone into a fight, before an intense staredown with Aldo.

“He really believes and he’s kind of right, that he’s the money fight right now,” Faber said. “Either the other guys would like to fight him, they’d like to fight him because he’s an easier fight, and there’s probably more money involved. ... We were backstage with him, and I had to take my phone and record some it because it was hilarious. He was talking to himself, he was pacing, he didn’t say a word to 'Cowboy' [Cerrone]. That wasn’t fake, he’s an interesting character.”

Of course, Faber has his own business to take care of, including a UFC 194 fight with bantamweight upstart Frankie Saenz. So no matter what advice he can dispense, he knows McGregor is going to have to figure some things out for himself.

“He’s going to learn a couple little lessons here and there,” Faber said. "He’s pretty smart, he’s a decent guy."

Urijah Faber has some financial advice for Conor McGregor - Yahoo Sports

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Faber keeping it classy, which is good to see. I'm not a big TUF guy because there has been so damn many of them, and they became stale, but I'll watching this one for several reason. Conor & Faber of course, but the fighters looked legit & game last night. There were a couple of wars, and I expect there will be more throughout the season.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Classy as always from Urijah Faber. What's wild about his career is that his only non title fight loss is to Frankie Edgar. He's not in the GSP, Fedor, Anderson conversation, but he's definitely in that second tier of super elite fighters. It's crazy how little respect his talent gets.

CRE

Posting Machine
Apr 24, 2015
Conor can kick his ass, but he would be very wise to listen to Urijah closely here. Faber has been one of the most wise guys in the sport about his finances.

It feels like Conor does waste lots of his money.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
If all the talk is true it's Frank Fertitta renting that gigantic pad in Vegas. Not very different than when Uncle Dana used to go all "Merlot Fleetwood Brougham" and buy star fighters cars (Franklin's Hummer, Jones' Bentley).

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If all the talk is true it's Frank Fertitta renting that gigantic pad in Vegas. Not very different than when Uncle Dana used to go all "Merlot Fleetwood Brougham" and buy star fighters cars (Franklin's Hummer, Jones' Bentley).
No way he is renting that himself. I never believed that. Not because he couldn't afford it, but because he's in Vegas working and Zuffa is taking care of him while he does. His per diem is just A LOT larger than most peoples lol. Dude has been in Ireland 9 days this year, and is making them a shitload of money...so he deserves to be taken care of (in my opinion). I only fault him for flaunting it to the other fighters that don't have it so good...but maybe that's a ploy by him & the UFC to get others to follow his lead.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
meanwhile some undercard fighter is living in his car in the parking lot of a gym

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Conor can kick his ass, but he would be very wise to listen to Urijah closely here. Faber has been one of the most wise guys in the sport about his finances.

It feels like Conor does waste lots of his money.
Yes and no. Spending money on suits, big watches, etc, it is part of the persona that he projects to fans, which is a major component of his drawing power, since he is an interesting character. It could be seen as an investment into his brand, a business expense if you will, and those are tax deductible right? ;)

However, the big house and that was probably an expense he didn't need when it was just a few of them there for tuf filming. As well as that, you're right Faber is very smart with his money, and Mcgregor could take some advice from him about investing and planning for the end of his career.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Faber is a hell of a businessman. He was a trailblazer in terms of investing in other ventures outside of MMA.

SagiTTarius

Sep 10, 2015
I know Urijah was trying to major in some bio-chemical-crazyshit back in college, so I'm sure he is not a fool. It's crazy how smart he really is, so he definitely has a certain way of seeing things in a different perspective. With that being said, Conor came from nothing. He was on welfare before all this, so it's hard to grasp that kind of triumph over poverty. Conor will always be a draw so I think he's just basking in his wealth as if it will never go away.

All n All I'd listen to Faber.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
as if it will never go away.
He's a freak injury, or a 3 fight losing streak away from that becoming a real possibility. Now will those things happen? An injury, who knows...the losing streak, I doubt it (not at 145 anyway). Faber's point is, enjoy it...but also invest it. And he's right. But with that said, my guess is the McMansion, the watches, the suits, the cars...all being paid for by Zuffa, so Conor has probably banked $5m - $10m in the past 18 months, without spending much of his own cash at all.

So yeah...he's probably pretty well set lol.

SagiTTarius

Sep 10, 2015
You know, your guess sounds like something the UFC would do. When you hear Conor talk and address doing "big business" he doesn't involve Dana's name, he always says Lorenzo and (really rarely hear this name from any fighter ever) Frank. I think he's got it made. I would hate to see a injury. That would suck!

M

member 603

Years ago (I'm dating myself here) I had a friend who went to FSU... He was there at the same time as Deion Sanders. He told me a story of how it was him, Deion, Gabrielle Reese, and some other guy all heading to a party. He tells me that 4 blocks from the party, Deion asks him almost panicky to stop the car. Deion jumps out, goes to the trunk for his bag, and like 2 minutes later he gets back in the car with the bandana on his head, sunglasses, the expensive watch and huge diamond earrings, basically the whole "Neon" Deion look....... My buddy tells me that Deion looks at him and says "It's all about that image Baby".

Conor is all about selling that image..... He's walking and talking the gimmack that Tito Ortiz started, that Chael P Sonnen perfected, and that many others wish they can pull off.

Faber is right, if Conor is smart he'd listen.... But truth is, he's not playing with his cash.... Zuffa knows he's a draw, and they'll help him sell his image

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
All in all, even though I agree with the above and Zuffa may well be investing in his brand, we're talking about suits and watches with the odd car or house lease thrown in. He hasn't even bought a house in Ireland yet. Admittedly he could have spent hundreds of thousands on clothes and bling but that still leaves a decent chunk of cash. I'll be worried when he starts buying mansions but until then he's probably doing fairly well.

Uriah is a beast though, is he openly involved with the MMAFA? It would be great if someone set up some sort of financial training system to help fighters learn to manage for the future through that.

CaffeineBomb

Sep 8, 2015
UFC should really have Faber working with all their new signings and up & comers, he's been very obviously smart about what he's done with his money. He invested in a gym and team in a way that would help his MMA game, so he could scout and bring young talent like Dillashaw to come train at Alpha Male. He's invested in businesses and his clothing line, and he was even reported last year as a minor shareholder in an attempt to bring a MLS soccer team to Sacramento. Even a minor investor in something like that is going to be investing serious serious money.

He's clearly been giving that advice to his teammates, Danny Castillo for example has been shown in several of the UFC embedded episodes as having been putting his money into successful local pilates studios to make sure he's got an income source post-fighting.

All the while he's not been conspicuously living large, well not by Mcgregor standards anyway. Thought I guess that's not saying much, I doubt anyone in the UFC is being so over the top with the money/clothes etc.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Uriah is a beast though, is he openly involved with the MMAFA? It would be great if someone set up some sort of financial training system to help fighters learn to manage for the future through that.
i haven't seen him mentioned at all, so he either has turned them away, or he is one of the many unnamed.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
i haven't seen him mentioned at all, so he either has turned them away, or he is one of the many unnamed.
I hope he's in, I'm speculating here but when he talked about his upbringing on JRE he said straight out it was a commune. That plus the setup at Alpha Male with them sharing a housing estate leads me to think he wouldn't be an anti union type.. Anyway I hope he's in I can't think of a better guy.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
meanwhile some undercard fighter is living in his car in the parking lot of a gym
That's not Conor's fault any more than it was Fedor's, or GSP's. The top gets paid, they always have. Hopefully the union will even things out.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
I hope he's in, I'm speculating here but when he talked about his upbringing on JRE he said straight out it was a commune. That plus the setup at Alpha Male with them sharing a housing estate leads me to think he wouldn't be an anti union type.. Anyway I hope he's in I can't think of a better guy.
he would definitely bring a lot of weight to the association. i read as much as i can find about it on twitter, but they're keeping most names quiet. they tweet to fighters that haven't joined them yet, and his name never comes up, so that's why i think he's a part already, in talks, or he told them to piss off.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
he would definitely bring a lot of weight to the association. i read as much as i can find about it on twitter, but they're keeping most names quiet. they tweet to fighters that haven't joined them yet, and his name never comes up, so that's why i think he's a part already, in talks, or he told them to piss off.
Weight and ability, ye I saw your post the other day with info regarding the mmafa structure. Thanks.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know if anything changed but Urijah came on the TAM podcast like 2 months ago and he had no idea what any of the lawsuit/union stuff was about. He also said someone kept calling the gym asking if anyone wanted to join the lawsuit and he didn't seem pleased about that.