Urijah Faber would only fight T.J. Dillashaw if the champ wanted it

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BigBird

Jul 23, 2015

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNGQk3UvP0

Urijah Faber wants to make another run at a UFC title before he retires, but not if it comes at the expense of his friendship with current champ T.J. Dillashaw ... although there is one scenario that exists where he would accept that fight.

The 36-year-old veteran has been fighting full time since 2003 and as much as his body still feels like's in his twenties, Faber really doesn't have a desire to actually fight until he's in his forties.

Right now for Faber to earn a title shot at 135 pounds, it means facing his friend and teammate T.J. Dillashaw and as much as the former WEC champion wants to add a UFC title to his resume, that's still not a fight he's looking to land.

"I would say people have talked about that and you never know what's going to happen," Faber told FOX Sports. "I, myself, am not gunning for that fight but I'm always gunning for a title. I don't have a lot of time left in this sport, just by choice. I'm a healthy, physically fit, durable guy that could keep going but I'm not going to be doing this forever. I'm going to be in here while I'm still at the top of the game.

As Dillashaw starts to dig into his first title reign as UFC champion he not only needs wins, but he needs high-profile fights to raise his status amongst the best fighters in the world competing on the biggest stage. So far he's destroyed former champion Renan Barao on two occasions, but like every title holder in the UFC, Dillashaw needs quality opponents to put his fights in the spotlight.

That's where Faber comes in.

Dillashaw's mentor and longtime coach would agree to fight him if the bantamweight champion felt like that was the best possible matchup for his career. There's no doubt a battle between Faber and Dillashaw would probably be one of the biggest bantamweight bouts of all time and if the champion asked for it, the fight would happen.

"That's something that I always told TJ -- if he thought that was the best opportunity for him whether it be monetarily or exposure or whatever it would be, if he wanted to ask for that fight, I would do it," Faber said.

"That's about the only way it would happen."

Urijah Faber would only fight T.J. Dillashaw if the champ wanted it | FOX Sports

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I love faber, but it's probably best they don't fight, especially for his pride and as the 'main guy' of the team alpha male team. It's pretty obvious he didn't like the exposure & compliments Bang got, I doubt this fight would be good for the team morale. It's a stone best left unturned.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I believe this would be really difficult to stomach for faberge as TJ beats the fuc-ing shi- out of him........

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What happened to Tito and Hammils relationship after they fought again?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
faber wants the fight but he doesnt want to be the guy who calls out his team mate.it would be perceived as a jealous dick move.if tj asks for the fight then faber can accept guilt free.

M

member 603

I could never even fathom fighting a teammate let alone my coach.... It's not like Alpha Male is a huge network of schools like an ATT that have hundreds of fighters either

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I could never even fathom fighting a teammate let alone my coach.... It's not like Alpha Male is a huge network of schools like an ATT that have hundreds of fighters either
Agreed. I actually started a thread here months ago asking "would you fight a friend" and I was in the minority in saying I wouldn't. I think most took it as a Friday night drunk and a buddy is being an asshole but I meant in terms of say Rory vs GSP. I might bump it to see how it goes second time around.

M

member 603

Agreed. I actually started a thread here months ago asking "would you fight a friend" and I was in the minority in saying I wouldn't. I think most took it as a Friday night drunk and a buddy is being an asshole but I meant in terms of say Rory vs GSP. I might bump it to see how it goes second time around.
I may be in the minority as a coach and a guy who trains 6-7 days a week.. my training partners and coach are family to me, they've been with me through good and bad.... To fight them would be impossible. Beating them and ending their dreams, potentially injuring them and preventing them from earning money in future fights, that's not something I want to do to men I consider brothers

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Faber ends up on his back staring at the lights. He has nothing for TJ

Emmery Myers

I put the warrior in social justice warrior
Aug 7, 2015
Faber is losing a step and TJ is coming into his own. The teammate thing gives Faber an x-factor but like about everyone I suspect TJ would batter Urijah badly standing.

Urijah kind of sounding like every boyfriend during the threesome conversation like "hey baby Id bring another girl in ONLY FOR YOU, I mean, if you wanted it.. Just doing it for you. I mean, sure it be cool n all but im just thinking of your needs here babygirl."

Yea right Urijah I see you.